Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-17-10, 11:24 AM   #1
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Live well pumps

Is there a way to check our live well pumps without being in the water? My problem is, I have two live well pumps that are leaking from the live well pump and/or the connecting hose on the pump at the bottom of the hose area. (One is in the bilge area leaking water without being turned on. I can see it dripping from the pump/hose area, and the other one in a storage compartment, leaks while it's running, the pump or the hose) I can’t really tell (Without a mirror on a stick) if it’s coming from the hose or the pump itself. I felt with my finger to see if it gets wet, but it’s too close to tell if it’s the hose or pump, so that’s why I was wondering if we can fill our live wells with the pump without being in the water.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 08:26 AM   #2
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Fill the livewell with a hose. The pump in the livewell is a circulating pump so you should be able to find the leak there. The fill pump has either a leaking seal or the housing may be cracked. My gambler had a fill pump and 2 recirculaing pumps. When the fill pump started leaking I replaced all the pumps with higher capacity pumps and all new hoses. The original hoses were those crappy plastic ones, I replaced them with automotive heater hose. I also installed a pro air system, you might consider that while you're fixing things. It's a simple install. Let us know how you make out.
Old 03-19-10, 01:57 PM   #3
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've thought about that already Tom, but I'd hate to run all the way to the lake to find I still have a leak. I was hoping I could hook a garden hose to the inlet fitting on low pressure, to check for leaks. But I guess not, and I'm not about to blow a seal out from to much water pressure from the house. Thanks though for the help you have given Tom!! Lake here I came, as soon as my 4 new 500gph pumps come in, so I can install them today. (I decided to up-grade to 4 500gph pumps, because I couldn't find the 360gph pumps )
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.