Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-02-10, 09:16 PM   #1
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default 12 to 24 v trolling motor conversion

Just a quick question about going from 12 to 24 volts.
lowrider is upgrading his boat to a 24v trolling motor, Does he need to replace the wiring or will the existing wiring work? I know the batteries have to be swapped over to 24 v and the plug at the front replaced.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 09:35 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The wiring doesn't care what voltage it will be run at. The insulation is probably good up to 600V.

However, the amperage of the new trolling motor is what is important. It can't exceed the amp rating of the wire. If it does, then yes, the wiring will have to be upgraded.

There will be fuses to consider as well.
Old 02-02-10, 09:54 PM   #3
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am glad this is back. I saw a thread where no fear was explaing to someone how 24v is more effective, I have a guy trying to sell me a used foot controlled 12v system For a tinny boat ,12 ft long will this be Okay? this is the boat ,I will still have a TM on the back for getting from spot to spot and want the Foot Controlled motor for working a spot. I fish mostly a 339 acre flood control lake with it, the lake is TM only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	4671  
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 10:01 PM   #4
doc

He is upgrading from a motorguide 4 12v to a minnkota maxxum 70 24v. His boat is a 2000 model G3 with a motorguide 743 four tm
Old 02-02-10, 10:35 PM   #5
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

you will have to replace both the plugs on the boat and troll motor unless u can find a plug that matches ur trolling motor, then just rig the batteries up make sure wiring in front is correct and then run red to red then black to black and a jumper from pos to neg between the 2 batteries, so hook up troll motor pos to 1 battery and troll motor neg to other battery and then a jumper between the 2 from pos to neg
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 11:15 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Doc...what size is the wiring? Is it #6's?
Old 02-03-10, 01:55 AM   #7
Rebbasser

Muddy, you should be fine with a 12v motor on that boat.
Old 02-03-10, 07:34 AM   #8
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks, sorry to hijsck this thread, i was waiting for the subject to come up again
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 07:56 AM   #9
egolfer
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
He is upgrading from a motorguide 4 12v to a minnkota maxxum 70 24v. His boat is a 2000 model G3 with a motorguide 743 four tm
Doc,
I own a 2005 G3 and I did the same thing, replaced the 12V with a 24V. I called G3 to make the sure the wires were the right size and that the construction of the bow was strong enough to hold a heavier motor. G3 said the wires were plenty good and the bow was strong enough. I have had the 24V on there for about 4 years now with no problems. Good luck with the upgrade.
Old 02-03-10, 11:57 AM   #10
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by egolfer View Post
Doc,
I own a 2005 G3 and I did the same thing, replaced the 12V with a 24V. I called G3 to make the sure the wires were the right size and that the construction of the bow was strong enough to hold a heavier motor. G3 said the wires were plenty good and the bow was strong enough. I have had the 24V on there for about 4 years now with no problems. Good luck with the upgrade.
As far as the fuses go, what did you have to look out for?
Old 02-03-10, 01:16 PM   #11
egolfer
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
As far as the fuses go, what did you have to look out for?
I installed a 50amp breaker like the on on the link below and removed the existing glass fuse. I have not popped a single time. I also keep a spare in the boat for emergencies, but have never needed it.

http://www.motortechva.com/Images/2378215.jpg
Old 02-03-10, 03:08 PM   #12
doc

Thanks for all the help guys, this is not our field of expertise by any means

It looks like all were gonna have to replace is the motor, plugs, add a breaker, then set the batteries up for 24 volt.

We have onboard chargers for our 2 trolling motor batteries, will we need to disconnect the 24 v setup on the batteries before charging?

And does anyone have any tips on the mounting (any suprises we should look out for?)
Old 02-03-10, 03:40 PM   #13
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

Just spend the xtra and get a 3 bank charger you should be able to get 1 from bass pro shops during the spring classic at a really good deal. Other than that when using 2 diff chargers, sometimes the chargers might be off a little bit and the batteries won't be charged the same.
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 01:26 PM   #14
lilmule

Electric motors use less amperage generally for the same size a motor at 24 v than they do at 12 v thus why a 24 v lasts longer,its not just more thrust its less draw on the batteries.
And no you wont have to disconnect the 24 v batteries to charge,they are charged at 12 v via each battery,the charger will have directions for hookup.But basic the 24 v connection is ignored.Two batteries end to end in series produces 24 v,two charged in parallel get 12v.
Each battery is hooked up like you were using jumper cables on a car to the charger.
Another reason for a three bank charger then each set of two wires producing 12 v,all hooked pos to pos ,neg to neg,from charging source to battery.
Switches that say charge run and switched up front arnt a good idea,as sometiomes in the wrong position,I always make my 24v at the batteries and run forward straight to the trolling motor receptacle.This is done via a jumper from one pos to the other battery neg,the first batt taking the neg off of and the second the pos ,and if all the plugs and or wiring is rated for the amperage draw one can reuse all,your only going to actually need just two wires.
+ and - from one battery is 12v,+ and a - from two hooked in series via that pre-described jumper is 24 v
- and + jumper neg and pos,the first neg and the last pos being 24 v,and any neg and pos on the same battery being but 12 v

Last edited by lilmule; 02-06-10 at 01:38 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-10, 03:06 PM   #15
doc

Ok, one last question. We are picking up the motor this weekend and plan to install monday. While we were looking at our current setup one last time we noticed that our trolling batteries we are currently using are not the same amperage one is a 600 the other is a 675 (im speaking in marine cranking amps.) Does this matter? We plan to replace the current batteries once we sell the 12v motor we have on the boat now.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.