Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-18-12, 11:28 AM   #1
Robrote1
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1992 Tracker Pro17 Steering cable

Hello all, I have a 1992 Bass Tracker Pro 17 that needs a new steering cable. Is there anyone out there who has done this before that can give me some pointers? Should I take the old one out and measure it to determine what length to get? Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

1992 Pro17
25hp Evinrude

Rob
Robrote1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 12:04 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've never done it, but I need to do something about mine soon, so I've been looking around. There should be some numbers on the cables somewhere, close to one end or the other. That should tell you the length. If the numbers either aren't there or worn off or illegible, you'll need to measure. Measure from the center of the steering wheel straight to the gunwale, from there back to the transom, where the cables turn, and then across to where they attach to the motor.
Don't take them out until you have the new ones. Use duct tape or tie straps or something to attach the new ones to the old ones, and pull them through. It's much easier to have the new ones follow the old ones through, rather than trying to poke the new ones in.
Good luck...
Old 04-18-12, 08:43 PM   #3
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I suggest a 30 dollar nut with grease fitting when you do replace it.

Use good grease too.

Capt Mike
Old 04-20-12, 09:27 AM   #4
Robrote1
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks CaptMike, I have seen these nuts before. My steering is very tight when turned to one direction. I have no experience with these cables. Are the cables removeable from the casing? Meaning, can I remove the cable and lube it up and put it back in? I disconnected the motor from the steering and the motor turns freely, so I know it's a steering issue. Thanks in advance
Robrote1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.