Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 05-31-12, 07:47 PM   #1
Panthrosan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Summer Project Boat

My buddy works for 1800GOTJUNK and he pulled this boat out of a guys backyard and thought he was going to fix it up.....his wife had other ideas so it is now in my backyard and I think I am in a bit over my head lol. It is a 13.5ft long by 3.5ft wide plastic flat bottom boat with aluminum tube framing.

The biggest challenge really is going to be the bottom of the stern as there was a fiberglass patch put on that while it still is waterproof(as evidenced by the 8 inches of water in the boat when I picked it up) it is ugly as sin and I don't think it will hold up for long. The support brackets were shorn off at the bend but I think that if I extend the flat part of the aluminum and bolt on an L bracket to each of them I won't have to replace the side support brackets. I figure that since I have to remove the brackets anyways, I might as well put a new fiberglass resin patch on the stern of the boat.

I have to title and register it here in Maryland but since there are no identifying or registration #s visible on the boat it might be a challenge but since I didn't pay a dime for the boat it shouldn't be too expensive. The key is to do the registration and new title before I do any work to it, as I have to pay tax on the value of the boat and as it sits now it is pretty much zero lol.

I will try to take video footage of this project as I go along and hopefully not document my failures lol. Starting this weekend....wish me luck....any thoughts or suggestions are MORE than welcome lol.

Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-12, 08:32 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It kind of looks like a boat I had 20 some years ago made of rubbermaid,as for the brace repair any machine shop can make a sleeve both ends fit into drill and screw.
As for the green bottom as dissimilar materials,if fiberglass green gel added to fiberglass when mixing will help but never matches exactly,it is on the bottom and price was right not a hard fix at all.Minor hole in the rubber type requires no fiberglass heat a butter knife and spread covering the small hole via melting.
This is a 20 dollar boat,bought the motor then guy said 200 more for trailer and boat,trailer is pristine,180 init 20 in boat yes had to repair took an hr and 26 dollars of fiberglass,then had a machine shop make a ss brace plate to transom using it on rough ky lake weekly.Yes 17.5 ft long 800 pds .

Last edited by lilmule; 05-31-12 at 08:42 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-12, 10:35 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

#1 on a boat that narrow keep the center of gravity as low as possible.
#2 carpet
#3 paint

re: Title and registration Every state is a little different but when you apply for a registration there is a block for "homemade/other". Your boat, while not officially homemade may qualify, and get you out of the titleing hassle or at least let you get a salvage title.

@lilmule....that's the slickest $200 boat I ever saw.

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 06-01-12 at 06:19 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 06:52 AM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

GREAT PROJECT MAN!!! please keep us updated on what and how it goes.
Old 06-01-12, 05:51 PM   #5
lilmule

20 dollar boat trailer cost 180 and it as well is slick
Boat was named the Motor toter as purchased to tote the motor home for about what a motor toter would cost at walley world,looked to good to trash just for the motor so went out and bought another motor for the allison.
Am using it weekly on ky lake out on the main even.
Hes got a nice project now to finish and enjoy.As for registration should be some molded in or stamped numbers near that rear right hand corner.

Last edited by lilmule; 06-01-12 at 09:33 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.