Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-25-12, 11:45 PM   #1
Colio13
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Best boat manufacture

Hey guys, after all the problems I had with my old boat and it almost sunk Saturday night at a tournament, I have decided to buy a brand new boat and I was wondering what some of the BEST bass boat brand are, I personally like Bass Cat, Phoenix, Pro Craft, but I have never been in any of these.

Thanks, Cole
Colio13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 12:21 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That is really a loaded question. You will likely get some guys say that brand "X" is the best brand on the water, when in all honesty they have never set foot in a single boat made by brand "X", much less fished out of one.

Nobody makes a bad boat anymore. The quality of materials and technology has improved boats to the point that there is not a best boat out there. There are certain boats that have features or characteristics that are more better than other boats. And all boats also have their short comings. It's honestly up to the buyer to decide what is important to them in a boat and what short comings will bother them the least. Once you make that decision you can start narrowing down your search.

The things that are most important to me in a boat are:

1. Layout (this is listed first because I want to be able to feel comfortable with the way I store all of my stuff and I need to be able to find what I am after without having to look around for it).

2. Big front deck (I want a front deck that is big enough that I have plenty of room to move around without having to worry about stepping on or tripping over something. When fishing a tournament I often have my partner get up on the front deck with me for better casting angles and to make boat position easier. Most people think of a long deck as being important but a narrow deck is more of a hassle than a short one, you need to be able to move around and a wide deck is important to me for that reason).

3. A boat that is easy to control with the trolling motor (basically a boat that doesn't sit way up in the air and catch tons of wind which makes it a pain to keep in position if your fishing the wind).

4. Smooth and dry ride (I list this above speed because it doesn't matter how fast your boat is if it rides too rough to run it hard. I also listed it below all of the things that make it a pleasure to fish out of because I spend far more time fishing than running around. But never the less I have rode in some really rough riding and wet riding boats and it is miserable, especially in cold weather).

5. Speed (while it isn't required to have a fast boat to catch fish, in tournaments I really like the fact that I can cover a lot of water or fish just a little later in the day than some other guys and still make it to weigh-in on time).

This is just my list of things that matter to me. You need to decide what your looking for in a boat and go from there. But like I said, beware of guys who will either recommend a boat that they have never been in, or guys who are loyal to the brand that they own and will claim that it is the best boat on the market. Like I said, most boats out there are the better than others in some areas and worse than others in some areas.

Another thing to take seriously is what kind of service can you get in your area? It wouldn't do you any good to buy a boat that you can't get worked on in your area, and the same thing goes for motors.
Old 06-26-12, 01:05 AM   #3
nofearengineer

Great response, Kory.
Old 06-26-12, 06:10 AM   #4
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i will put my two cents in for bass cat. i have fished in a bass cat since 1980. they are built to last. they ride great, run great, and fish great. you will find their customer service second to none. bass cat is still family owned, and they treat everyone just like family.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 08:04 AM   #5
junyaah
BassFishin.Com Member

I just got the 2012 nitro z6 and i have to vouch for this boat. I am very pleased with it so far. Check it out before u make ur decision. Remember to put the plug in haha.
junyaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 08:29 AM   #6
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
will put my two cents in for bass cat. i have fished in a bass cat since 1980. they are built to last. they ride great, run great, and fish great. you will find their customer service second to none. bass cat is still family owned, and they treat everyone just like family.
I can't dispute any of that, but they have the ugliest console and dash in the industry. A minor drawback, and certainly one of personal taste.

Kory nailed it, I have little to add except my personal observations.
Layout - Phoenix, I love the passenger rod box and removable passneger console.
Ride - Ranger
Speed - Bullet
Widest front deck - Nitro
Longest front deck - Gambler
Customer Service (AFTER the sale) - Basscat, no personal experience, but I have NEVER heard a negative comment & owner loyality is sccond to none.
Best "all around" - Certainly the boat I own, Triton.

My selections may not be totally accurate as the the "best in catagory" as I am not up on all the actual dimensions of current and older boats that may technically be bigger, wider, faster, etc. But I've seen (and been in) a lot of boats and the ones that made me go "wow" over a particular feature are those mentioned above.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-26-12 at 08:40 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 08:00 PM   #7
bamabassman

c-rig hit the mark.......nuff said. chevy-ford-dodge thing really.
Old 07-05-12, 08:02 AM   #8
Abbeysdad

C-rig has a great list...but the focus is on fishing only. I like to fish, but am a fair weather fisherman that loves it out on the water. Bass boats are cool fishing machines, but not as versatile as some other designs. Not long ago I saw a pontoon boat setup for fishing and it appeared to be setup well for that...and in a flash, become a party barge.
I have a ski & fish and quite like it - not as fishing friendly as a bass boat, but with TM and fish finder and more capable for deep water in the finger lakes. I never had them, but if I did, my ski days would be behind me - but we love to tour the shoreline and see how the other half lives! (sure would be nice to have a cottage on one of these lakes!)

So you have to ask....will it be a fishing only boat or also used for family outings.
Old 07-07-12, 09:54 AM   #9
rangerrider
BassFishin.Com Member

You can probably guess what I would say.. but I think carolina-rig is spot on...many good boats out there now, If I didn't get another Ranger the next time I buy I would take a hard look at the Phoenix . or maybe a cat.
rangerrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-12, 11:05 PM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I like my Bass Cat, but then again, its the only glass I ever had.
Old 07-19-12, 12:36 PM   #11
cvhoss
BassFishin.Com Member

I'll throw in a vote for Charger since I haven't seen them mentioned. I'm on my second one. I've ridden in/fished out of a few other brands (Ranger, Bass Cat, Nitro, Champion) and I don't think any of them can beat a Charger for a "rough water" boat. I had my first one from '87-'96 and the current one since '96. At prices for new boats today, I can't imagine myself buying another new boat but if I did, it would be a Charger.
cvhoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 01:06 PM   #12
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Nitro and Ranger

I am one of those who went from Ranger to Nitro. Any new boat is as good as your service source. I love my current Nitro but the local Bass Pro service is not that good. The techs are find but management has them tied down and they are one of only a hand full of shops in the area. I had Rangers before and going back because of some tournaments I want to do and we now have a close Ranger shop. I would buy another Nitro any day and the same goes for Ranger. Have had a Skeeter bay boat but really can't say anything about other brands as they all seem to be really good now a days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colio13 View Post
Hey guys, after all the problems I had with my old boat and it almost sunk Saturday night at a tournament, I have decided to buy a brand new boat and I was wondering what some of the BEST bass boat brand are, I personally like Bass Cat, Phoenix, Pro Craft, but I have never been in any of these.

Thanks, Cole
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 03:25 PM   #13
doc

Older Mountain Home Champions

Or a Bass Cat

Not knocking Rangers, just not a fan of what the masses use
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 07:11 PM   #14
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Have fished out of my Nitro since 2000 and would recommend you looking at the new ones. A lot of boat for the money. I purchased it from a dealer, not BPS, I have great customer service and could not be more satisfied. I have fished out of several different makes of bass boats and I still like mine. Dry ride, wide front deck, good value for the money.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-12, 10:57 PM   #15
Z521Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Ranger Ranger & Ranger or you can go with whatever you want as long as it is a Ranger! Why I think I like the Z521 with a Merc the best! Of course this IMO!
Z521Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 11:51 PM   #16
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

From my experience, which is limited, you can't go wrong with Ranger.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.