Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-12, 07:54 PM   #1
bretmoua
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Beeping noise 1996 Nitro Savage 884 with mercury 150 XR6

I have a 1996 Nitro Savage 884 with mercury 150hp XR6 2 stroke motor. I have replaced:
a. two thermostats
b. fuel filter
c. fuel pump
d. fuel line from tank to motor including bulb
d. water pump
After fixing it, it ran great for a whole week. After a week, it started to make a beep beep beep sound continuously if I run it past 10mph. If I slowly cruise under 10mph the sound won't come on. I have checked for water peeing out of the motor and it's doing that. Don't think the motor is over heating because it's peeing out water good. I also checked my oil level in the reservoir and noticed that it was a bit low. So I bought two quarts today and did a trial run at home. Had it in gear with a little gas going and the noise came back again. beep beep beep beep constantly. What can be the problem?

Last edited by bretmoua; 03-29-12 at 08:10 PM.
bretmoua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 12:35 PM   #2
bretmoua
BassFishin.Com Member

I guess a newbie gets no help.
Old 03-30-12, 12:57 PM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Not a ton of boat mechanics around here, but with the weekend coming up, there will be some guys chime in.

Welcome to the place to be off the water. And by the way, "I guess a newbie gets no help." crap gets you no where in a hurry.
Old 03-30-12, 01:15 PM   #4
bassboogieman

Sounds like an oil problem. Either the pump or the sensor in the oil injection system. I take care of my own routine engine maintence but I'm not a do-it-yourselfer when I have a problem with the outboard, I take mine to a mechanic. I understand they are not cheap but neither is blown engine due to a mis-diagnosis by myself or someone off he internet.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 03:41 PM   #5
Tavery5

I am not a boat mechanic but from what I know the alarm is most likely an overtemp alarm, you have replaced the thermostat and it sounds like your impellar is working. I would troubleshoot the sensor, take the wires loose from the sensor and use an ohm meter, you should have no continuity between the leads. If you have continuity, you have a shorted lead somwhere, if not, you may think about replaceing the sensor.
Old 03-31-12, 06:55 PM   #6
MIbasser

Is the motor oil injected or do you have to premix? I've heard the beep on mine and it was due to no oil (a little opps on my part).

But usually when it goes into "safe" mode, it's either over heating or no oil would be my guess.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-12, 12:34 PM   #7
bretmoua
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys. After carefully checking everything, I noticed that the oil reservoir on my motor was low on oil. So I added oil to both the tank on the motor and boat and bled the system. Now it's working great again and no more beep beep beep.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.