Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-23-13, 02:57 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Ok, inspecter needed

I am deafly afraid of a large purchase through E-Bay.
So I want to know if anyone (for a fee) would be willing to check this out.

Bruce or anyone, do you think this has 6 horizontal rod holders? Says so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobie-Pro-An...item2a2869acb0
Old 01-23-13, 05:56 PM   #2
lilmule

I can visually see 4 in the pic and cannot see other side,its a flip side to everything, shark bait.
You can ask a question of the seller ,like how many does it have.
I will for you if you dont mind,did then read description it has 6.
Horizontal Rod Storage for Six Rods
This is his first as a seller all 23 prior are as a buyer,so rating not worth much,you are however guaranteed thru ebay and paypal if it goes south.
Ill send my bill shortly.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-23-13 at 06:04 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-13, 10:06 PM   #3
bassboogieman

The PA-14 does have 6 horizontal rod holders (tubes), see mine in following pictures.

They will hold rods up to 7' and keeping rods there does cut down the advertised capacity for the 3700 plano box storage - you can't have both. A full load of rods actually cuts the plano box storage in half, as the handles occupy that space. But there is plenty of other storage. The other "issue" are the rod tubes on the port side, two of them will only hold rods in the 6'6"" or shorter - because of the rudder handle.

The PA-14 holds it's value well and a 2009 in really good shape should bring about $1700 so if you can get it for less, you've done well (new ones are almost $3000).

I didn't see (actually I didn'd look) where the seller is, shipping may be huge, if you could pick up, that would save a few bucks. In my opinion that kayak needs to be on a trailer, too heavy (IMO) to put on top of a vechile and too long to hang out the back of a pickup. Trailers can be built pretty cheap, a Hobie trailer for that kayak is another $1000, you can built a better one for a LOT less. It's the top of the line in a fishing kayak, you really can't find better - but I am a bit predjudiced.

I do not want to disuade you from a great fishing kayak, that is my number one choice. But you are a much smaller guy than me and you could go to a smaller 12' Hobie Outback, for a lot less money, no trailer required, if you want to save some money. If not, then by all means go for the best - I don't think you'd regret it at all. the Outback also has the Mirage drive and I had one previous to my current PA-14.

If I can be of any other service regarding Hobie, or other kayaks, don't hesitate to PM or email me. Happy to help, I love hearing from guys thinking about getting into kayak fishing. Jrob is joining that group very soon, although not in a Hobie, HA!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-13, 11:07 PM   #4
joedog

But the 12 doesn't have the interior rod storage. Or does it have 4?
I really like that.
Plus I thought about stability and standing. Hence the 14.
I'll need not just a trailer but there are spots I'll have to 'dolly' from car. Not real fisherman freindly around here.
You may have quessed...I'm researching heavy.
There are ZERO Kayak shops within 100 plus miles. And those aren't on water.

Bruce I got a ton of questions
Old 01-24-13, 09:14 AM   #5
bassboogieman

Quote:
But the 12 doesn't have the interior rod storage. Or does it have 4?
Storage for 4 rods on the PA-12 and it was new in 2012 and they also hold their value, so you won't save much on a used IF you can find one. The price difference (new) is only $500 and depending on budget (always THE problem) I would not think twice in spending it on the larger PA-14. But the major factor for me in THAT choice is MY size and the issue of storage - it's ALWAYS and issue on a 'yak, but the smaller the 'yak the larger that issue is, so you end up with add ons, clutter, things sticking up in the air and guys like me poking fun at you.

Quote:
I'll need not just a trailer but there are spots I'll have to 'dolly' from car.
Hobie has a couple that "plug" into the skuppers behind the rear seat, but they are Hobie items so are expensive. Several companies make dolly carts that would work at less expense.

Quote:
Bruce I got a ton of questions
Surprised me there, pal.
As I said, If I can help answer some of them, email or PM me, I have no problem with dispensing opinion. You're doing the right thing with researching, there are several good brands, at a little lesser expense than Hobie, one of them may be a perfect fit. I looked for a couple months before I bought my first kayak - thought I made a great choice, but I sold it less than a year later and bought the PA-14 which I should have done in the first place. Visit the Hobie website and check their forums, there is some good reading there. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/ There are a few guys here at BF.com that fish from kayaks, they would also be a good source for suggestions. I'm just going to push you towards a Hobie...
Old 01-24-13, 10:55 AM   #6
joedog

And I'm leaning that way too.
Thanks for the input.
Ya I've been boat less for about 3 years.
I've had OK success but last years low water challenged me.

I've been studying every option.
Ya the Hobie site is good and frequently visited but they really seem to aim most comments towards Hobie's accesaries.
I've checked the dollies.
But can you plug them in and actually trailer with them or just dolly from car to water?
Plus, what do you do with dolly when your out fishing, chain it to a tree?
Most aftermarket dollies don't allow for on kayak storage.
Then how do I portage with the rudder and flippers PLUS where the heck do I put the transducer so if it bottoms up or the rear or front gets dragged everything underneath doesn't get ruined.
And I saw Shaw on one of his shows comment, when his boy's rig got stuck in short water, how you could lock the fins in a horizontal position in short water and paddle.
Can this be done in/on water or just while on trailer?
Thanks everyone.

Lastly used are hard to come by and that's why I was looking at the E-baY Mo. one.
Usually they want almost NEW price for used.

Goal...get 14 with FF w/SI and DI. Another $1000-1400 bucks.
Total investment...$3000.
Ya I know and have come even more aware that this is a challenge in itself.
The only easy part has been to find a cheap GOPRO setup.

Thanks again Bruce and mule and everyone else.
Old 01-24-13, 11:28 AM   #7
bassboogieman

Quote:
But can you plug them in and actually trailer with them
NO They are for transport by human power from your parked vehicle to the water. And the shorter that distance the better!

Quote:
Most aftermarket dollies don't allow for on kayak storage.
Plenty of room on the rear deck, or if the vehicle isn't too far, return the dolly there. The Hobie dolly will fit (upside down) in the rear portage handle, or if you don't have a cooler or milk crates on the back deck, it will fit (upside down, again) in the same scupper holes. Note: dragging a PA-14 across sand or mud with the wheels is a chore. When you choose one, pick one with "ballon" tires or wide tires, narrow tires will sink in sand or mud with the weight of the kayak. Another reason if you intend to drag a 'yak to the water you may want to consider the Outback, or not. Dragging the PA-14 (with a dolly, of course) is easy on hard ground or paved surfaces.

Quote:
where the heck do I put the transducer
Couple options, I prefer to hang mine over the side. That keeps it accessible should I have to pick it up to remove grass or in low water conditions and when loading on the trailer. You can mount it with a RAM arm, there are a couple brands of mounts also, but I did mine with a couple sections of PVC - CHEAP and it works. For SI units you do have to get the transducer about 5" below the surface to clear the bottom of the kayak to see what's to the side of the kayak opposite where you mount the transducer. I found that out when I first installed mine.

Quote:
how you could lock the fins in a horizontal position in short water and paddle.
Easily done, buy simply kicking either pedal forward and securing the back peddal with a provided bungie cord. Also VERY handy when beaching your kayak, or traversing really skinny water - MY reason Hobie won out over other kayaks with a drive system. The others you have to actually remove the drive. Note: On the 2012 and later Hobies, they had a minor change in the connection for the drive and the later models lock in VERY easliy, the earlier models were a bit more difficult to get locked in.

Quote:
Usually they want almost NEW price for used.
I told ya! They HOLD THEIR VALUE, expecially the ones that are only a couple years old.

IF you buy a kayak, I may be able to help you out with SI/DI sonar, just don't tell anyone that I mentioned it. Nothing concrete, as I am just considering some things for my self and maybe I can save you a few hundred $$$.

Anything else?

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-24-13 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-25-13, 11:47 AM   #8
lilmule

He has it listed as local pickup.check and make sure he will ship and how much to your zip,or at least willing to do so yellow freight or whatever,other wise its a drive to st louis,im 4 1/2 hrs away myself.Even if hes not willing you can have a local trucking company pick it up so not an extreme problem,just few more $,time and phone calls.
Old 01-26-13, 08:03 AM   #9
champman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I live in the St. Louis area, if you can get me a phone number I'll take a look. Don't know much about kayaks, but I know if something doesn't look right. Bill

Last edited by champman; 01-26-13 at 08:11 AM.
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-13, 09:57 PM   #10
lilmule

Best check your bid,3 now
Old 01-26-13, 10:27 PM   #11
joedog

Ya, I talked with the owner for an hour and a half
He pulled it out from storage and took pics.
Going to post to Ebay soon.

Really was impressed by his honesty and free advice on a lot of fishing topics with the Kayak.

Still have the transport challenge but I want to thank Mr. Chapman!
He also got a call from me.

Mule thanks for insite on bidding.
I need it!

I want this deal!
But I have my limits but I also have a good friend that watches over me!
And those other bidders don't have BF.com on their side!
Man I want this deal.

Oh I don't want to forget Bruce!
Thanks a lot friend! I'm not through with you yet. If luck goes my way I'm going to DEFINITLY need your advice and help.
If as usual it doesn't...I'm a persistent little Fluke and the SEARCH will go on with ADDED vigor!

Thanks again friends!
Old 01-27-13, 08:38 AM   #12
bassboogieman

It's still at $1300 and bidding ends today - I may just have to put one in - if I could get it for $1700 I take a couple days to drive out and pick it up. I've got the time and nothing else planned for next week.
Old 01-27-13, 08:48 AM   #13
lilmule

Thats odd even though I dont know the actual value knew expensive and had also capped at 1703 my version of 1700.
Was at 1275 yesterday someone has been 25 dollar bidding.
Either way good luck
Old 01-27-13, 09:09 AM   #14
bassboogieman

Well I can't win if you're at $1703. But that should give Joe an idea of how high he may have to go. Last minute sniper bids should drive it to that range. If it was me and I was trying to sell it private, I would ask $1900 and if it's in pretty good shape, don't think I would have any trouble selling it. The '09 retailed at around $2500. Just FYI - I would not want to out bid Joe, if he really wants it, or you 'mule. Good luck, I'd like to see one of you get it.
Old 01-27-13, 09:41 AM   #15
lilmule

I was joking im not bidding on it ,just an insight as to how I would bid,as have sniped quite a few with 2 or 3 dollars over my cap,and actually won it because its more than 1700 yet less than the 25 dollar increment.But works only if they dont think 1725,if so over my cap,as for bidding wars they sometimes go nuts.One never knows until the fat lady sings.
I never think or bid even, once even got something for 12.52 as other bidder had capped at 12.50,2 cents .or two dollars sometimes goes a long way.
While one has to raise that one 25 bucks think out of the box once that 25 is met can do 27.03 over will show only 25 but if other bidder thinks 1725 its yours for 2.03 more.Yeah I know sounds weird but works.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-27-13 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-27-13, 11:57 AM   #16
lilmule

Dont think anyone has ,I havnt.Activity appears normal,expect a flurry near the end like as in last min or seconds.
As for the posts before most search engines pick it up will be all over.
Meanwhile it will go up some to say test the waters,odds are 6 to 12 have it saved on their personal web page,and may look in at the last min never know,that is why its called an auction,but place on it what your willing to pay no more,then dont be sorry if someone wants to pay more.
I do hope you get it,but we have no control and you only have so much control even as a bidder as someone else may value it more,possibly because they live closer and no shipping.
Old 01-27-13, 01:12 PM   #17
joedog

Default I owe everyone an APOLOGY!

Started to send PMs to everyone who took the time to HELP ME and apologize for the thread I now deleted.
But I'm not even aware who all to PM?
So I decided to post to everyone.

My sincere apologies to ALL.
I need to learn to check my sugars and my attitude before I post.
I could make a lot of excuses but I won't.

I'm an ungratefull peice of $HIT!
I'm an A$$ that doesn't deserve GOOD FRIENDS!!!!

I truely regret the post and I hope I removed it before to many had to read that peice of CRAP I posted!

Thanks to EVERYONE who has 'wasted' thier time helping a FLUKING IDIOT!

Again I'm SORRY!!!!!!!!

My recomendation to EVERYONE is add this IDIOT to your 'ignore list'.
I'm not worth your time.
Old 01-27-13, 01:17 PM   #18
lilmule

Ah dont believe their is anything to apologize for myself
Look at my nickname im a half a$$ a mule being the result of a donkey and a horse.
Old 01-27-13, 03:57 PM   #19
bassboogieman

What did I miss? Something good probably, I always miss out on the fun...
Old 01-27-13, 04:22 PM   #20
lilmule

Inspector Clouseau says 6 hrs to go lol.
Old 01-27-13, 04:35 PM   #21
bassboogieman

I KNOW, I'll forget to get on ebay tonight around 21:00 EST and watch the close.
Old 01-27-13, 06:54 PM   #22
Jrob78

So are you planning to bid on this yak Joe? It's a great deal if it doesn't climb too much higher. I would love to get a PA but it's too much boat for me right now. I don't have transportation or storage for a yak that big. As Bruce mentioned though, I am a couple of weeks away from my first kayak.

I have all but decided on a Wilderness Systems Ride 135. It's light enough for car top carry and stable enough to stand and fish. I should be able to fish small waters as well as lakes, (albeit small sections at a time.)

Anyway, hope this one works out for you but if it doesn't, keep looking. You'll find something to fit your needs. There are many different options out there.
Old 01-27-13, 08:38 PM   #23
WatterBoy

Not sure which bidder you are Joe, but I hope you get your yak!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-13, 10:25 PM   #24
lilmule

Suspense is killing us ,was it you?
Old 01-27-13, 10:49 PM   #25
joedog

Unhappy

I want to thank everyone for ALL the help!

You anglers are GREAT!
I learned a lot!
Mostly that I'm not the type that should EVER get into an auction on EBAY!

I learned how and when to bid.
I learned once again that 'emotions' have NO PLACE in a business transaction.
I learned to NEVER doubt my friends!!!!
I learned what a truly great group of people belong to BF.com
I learned that although shorebusting may be challenging, it's FREE!

I learned I now have a KAYAK!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.