Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-13-05, 08:56 AM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Mann's Minus 1 Crankbait

Well I finally went to wal mart and bought a Mann's minus sereis 1 crankbait. The color is in Brown Crawdad. What is the best way to work these crankbaits and how far do they go down? Thanks alot
Old 07-13-05, 08:59 AM   #2
PowerBass

I love these baits. What color did you buy, I got the green colored one, I think it is parrot. I caught 10 on this bait in 6 hours, 3hrs one night, 3hrs the next morn. They go less than a foot deep. I now have bough 2 more colors, brown crawdad, which I had friends use, they caught 4 in the middle of the day on one, and ghost grey or some ghost shad color. These are now one of my go-to baits.
Old 07-13-05, 10:20 AM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Cool

The manns minus one sure comes in handy when you cant go into the hydrilla but know they are lurking in the holes beneath, its nice to be able to crank and just keep it below the surface, a look thats kinda dif to the bass
and overlooked by many fishermen that elect to throw a worm, trying not to get hung up in the vegetation...
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-05, 07:44 PM   #4
Marty

Use it over vegetation that's submerged a foot or two below the surface. If you use the Baby 1-, like I do, the hooks can tangle, so eyeball them before casting. In my opinion, an outstanding shallow crankbait, all colors I've tried have produced, including your crawdad.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-05, 08:34 PM   #5
rrw4258

Got a quick question for you guys bout this crankbait. Why is the front on the Minus 1 alot biugger than the back trebble hook? Does this affect the lure in anyway. Also I am fishing it with 20 lb. mono, is this line to heavy?
Old 07-14-05, 05:37 PM   #6
Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258
Got a quick question for you guys bout this crankbait. Why is the front on the Minus 1 alot biugger than the back trebble hook? Does this affect the lure in anyway. Also I am fishing it with 20 lb. mono, is this line to heavy?
The size difference in the hooks is just one size, or two sizes if you count odd numbered sizes.

I'm sure it affects the lure positively. These are hightly successful baits and wouldn't be used so widely if they weren't properly balanced during their research and testing phase. If you want to know why the hooks are sized as they are, contact Manns. I have sent them a couple of product questions and received replies both times.

As to 20# line being too heavy, it depends on what you want it to do. I don't know what the optimum line size is for these lures (probably around 10#), but heavier diameter lines cause crankbaits to run shallower. So you may possibly not be getting down to the maximum depth of one foot with that line.

Rochester, NY
Old 07-14-05, 08:49 PM   #7
PowerBass

I use 14 lb with this lure
Old 07-15-05, 12:22 AM   #8
Jonny P

marty, i see your from rochester, my cousins live aroundt here and im visiting them soon, any ideas on where to fish??? they live in perry im not sure if u know where that is but its near warsaw
Old 07-16-05, 08:09 PM   #9
Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny P
marty, i see your from rochester, my cousins live aroundt here and im visiting them soon, any ideas on where to fish??? they live in perry im not sure if u know where that is but its near warsaw
Yes, I'm familiar with Perry, it's near Letchworth Park. All the Finger Lakes have pretty good fishing of one sort or the other. If you don't want to travel too far, you could try Conesus or Honeoye. I believe that Silver Lake is in the vicinity of Perry, but I've never fished there and don't know much about it.

Good luck and enjoy your visit.

Rochester, NY
Old 07-15-05, 10:30 AM   #10
lockjaw
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258
The smaller back hook gives it a wider wobble. In fact I like to switch to an even smaller size back hook for maximum wobble. A back hook that is too large will kill the action.
Old 07-15-05, 09:40 PM   #11
Denny_ohio

I think 20lb line is to heavy ,i think it would effect the action of the bait. I use 10lb test it gives it a real nice wobble in the water. the bait is a very shallow diver. but a nice follow up bait to topwater.
Denny
Old 07-16-05, 08:41 AM   #12
PowerBass

I now use 15 lb Big Game without a problem.
Old 07-16-05, 10:44 AM   #13
NJBassDevil
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I just got a manns -1 yesterday night. I can't wait to try it.
Old 07-17-05, 09:27 PM   #14
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBassDevil
I just got a manns -1 yesterday night. I can't wait to try it.
Yeah and did ya try it yet??? Man your slackin LOL!!
Old 07-20-05, 07:30 PM   #15
flachristopherkeene9

Im gonna hopefully get a few tonight at wally world to use for the tourny. In your OPININON what is the best color for these? Thanks for the help and sorry about the short notice in time. Still gotta eat some shark from yesterday and do some other stuff before we go.
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-05, 07:46 PM   #16
rrw4258

I went out to a local reservoir today and tried my manns minus 1 crank and all I got were three small fish around 8 or 9 inches. What can I do to get the bigger ones to hit?
Old 07-17-05, 09:09 PM   #17
PowerBass

Fish more!!! Seriously though, Fish more cover, see if you can toss it in laydowns, reeds, what ever!! Have fun with it man!
Old 07-20-05, 09:56 PM   #18
lockjaw

I've caught most of mine on the baby bass color. I also like the tenessee shad and alabama shad. In muddy water I favor a more visible color such as the firetiger.
Old 07-20-05, 09:58 PM   #19
PowerBass

I like the parrot color
Old 07-21-05, 07:57 AM   #20
Fishie

Are you guys using the baby 1 minus or the regular huge 1 minus. I just wanted to know. When they first came out like 5 to 6 years ago I use to catch some big ones on them. I got in one year like 7 fish over 6lbs on them. My favorite color use to be the ghost grey. I also like the silver black chrome and the crawdad one. The parrot color crank is good in muddy water though.
Old 07-21-05, 08:02 AM   #21
rrw4258

I use the minus one which is a medium sized crankbait
Old 07-23-05, 01:04 PM   #22
flachristopherkeene9

Hooked up with a three pounder just a while ago and she got off. What are some suggestions for setting the hook with these! Im starting to love crankbaits because of these and will probably be my new go to lure.
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 05:26 PM   #23
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherkeene9
Hooked up with a three pounder just a while ago and she got off. What are some suggestions for setting the hook with these! Im starting to love crankbaits because of these and will probably be my new go to lure.
Chris,
If I remember, you have a medium action ugly stik?? If so, the rod should bout hook em itself, I like a nice soft medium action for cranks. I have used my medium heavy before, but found myself having too much feel and rippin the crank outta there mouths. So now, I have a nice 6ft 6in Medium. Anyways about the hook set, dont make the tip go straight up. I use a side set, which is a nice firm sweep of the rod either to the right or left. Also, wait till you feel the fish! BTW, back to the rod, are using baitcaster or spinning???
Old 07-26-05, 09:41 PM   #24
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBass
Also, wait till you feel the fish!
Sorry to disagree, but some times you won't fell anything, the wobble or vibrations just stop. Guess what, a bass just sucked up your crankbait Many times when they are following from behind, and they are swimming at you, it's very difficult to feel the fish Lots of this is just trial and error. You will have to learn how to feel rocks, timber, grass, trash, fish, and know what each one feels like. Then if for any reason, if it FEELS DIFFERENT AT ALL then you may have a bass. Or you may have crap on the bait too LOL.

Lizards
Old 07-26-05, 10:00 PM   #25
Fishie

Back in the day I use to hammer the hell out of 6lbers on the baby one minus and that was when it first came out. I use to catch big ones on it any day it was awsome. I got away from them and I just got twenty bucks and I told myself I will not buy any worms. I am going to spend it all on crankbaits so I can get a few of them in my box.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.