Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-25-09, 11:56 AM   #1
Tennessee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Tourney fishing tip

I fished a Tourney last weekend and noticed something that bothered me. I started power fishing a crank and got some good fish but when the the switch turn off I went to my shakey head. I managed 2 fish in 2 cast, and I had 2 boats 50 feet each side saw me manage the 2 fish an both I bet noticed me switch from baitcater to spinning reall and it was a dead give away I was either drop shotting or shakey head!!

Burned me up

Needless to say I will be switching out during larger boat entry tourneys and making my shakey head rod a casting one

Just my thoughts

Later Will
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 12:02 PM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
I fished a Tourney last weekend and noticed something that bothered me. I started power fishing a crank and got some good fish but when the the switch turn off I went to my shakey head. I managed 2 fish in 2 cast, and I had 2 boats 50 feet each side saw me manage the 2 fish an both I bet noticed me switch from baitcater to spinning reall and it was a dead give away I was either drop shotting or shakey head!!

Burned me up

Needless to say I will be switching out during larger boat entry tourneys and making my shakey head rod a casting one

Just my thoughts

Later Will

I allways keep a rod (usually a braid rig im not using) rigged up with something off the wall on it. For when boats ease next to us in a tourney, just pick up the crazy rod make a cast on the off side of that boat and pretend to loose a fish.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 12:02 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

Yeah, I've gone to a baitcaster for my shaky head, too, mainly because I dislike the spinning reel. I can see why it would bother you to have them notice, too. Kinda like they're reading the signals from the coach to the quarterback.
Old 03-25-09, 01:36 PM   #4
aikenyounggun

yeah ok they know what you are cathin them on but are they good enough to catch the fish that you are???

i have used both spinnin and baitcaster and i prefer spinnin b/c the rod that is on it but the baitcaster is still great.... so if i had boats near me i might throw the baitcaster... BUT if im on a very certain spot that i know is holdin fish a lot better than anything within 50 ft i dont care who sees me throwin anything b/c they probably wont be able to produce it
Old 03-25-09, 01:37 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That sucks man! Try getting fineness bait caster with a rather whippy rod so you can sling shot light baits! They my be very expensive, but I think it will be worth it!
Old 03-25-09, 03:15 PM   #6
mont_lunker_hunter

Yeah that sucks. But, remember there's more to it than just knowing the type of bait. In our last tourney, I know a dang good fisherman who zero'd but was doing the same thing as many of the guys who finished well. I think we've all had times when we found out what the fish were caught on and then said "Well crap that was I was throwing".
Old 03-25-09, 05:06 PM   #7
zooker

tenn
gety your self a pinnacle casting reel.. they call them a finesse reel..load it with 10 pound test and it will flat sling a shakey head..

i think mine was a 100l it was a great reel just too small for my big old hand..

zooker
Old 03-25-09, 05:11 PM   #8
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
tenn
gety your self a pinnacle casting reel.. they call them a finesse reel..load it with 10 pound test and it will flat sling a shakey head..

i think mine was a 100l it was a great reel just too small for my big old hand..

zooker
The pinnacle lp100 is a solid reel for 40 dollars , i have a couple of them and will most likely get a few more .

Jim
Old 03-25-09, 05:21 PM   #9
zooker

100lp thats it..

zooker
Old 03-25-09, 08:13 PM   #10
bamabassman

i think that is the reel i have, hmmmm. shaky head on the pinnacle. making notes .............
Old 03-25-09, 09:22 PM   #11
fishin' fool

Even if everyone else starts throwing the same lure as you, it still isn't the same. They aren't presenting the bait the same, they probably aren't using the exact same color, weight, they probably aren't using the same line, and they sure aren't fishing the exact same areas you are. This all matters, don't let other anglers influence your bait selection and presentation. If you're catching fish on a specific lure, on a specific presentation, and a specific location, the odds that other anglers are doing the same thing is very slim. Just fish what you know and what works. If they see you switch baits so they can catch fish, that would tell me they haven't found the lure/pattern that is currently working. Good fishin
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 12:51 AM   #12
cdtac1
BassFishin.Com Member

Will, where was your tourney at? I'm just curious since we seem to fish around the same areas.
cdtac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 12:49 PM   #13
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin' fool View Post
Even if everyone else starts throwing the same lure as you, it still isn't the same. They aren't presenting the bait the same, they probably aren't using the exact same color, weight, they probably aren't using the same line, and they sure aren't fishing the exact same areas you are. This all matters, don't let other anglers influence your bait selection and presentation. If you're catching fish on a specific lure, on a specific presentation, and a specific location, the odds that other anglers are doing the same thing is very slim. Just fish what you know and what works. If they see you switch baits so they can catch fish, that would tell me they haven't found the lure/pattern that is currently working. Good fishin
This is all true and sound information, what do you do about what your boat position is. I find myself fishing out in the middle of coves a lot. Other people have no Idea what I am doing out there. I find that those areas are under fished because most Bass fisherman are bank oriented and are somewhat lost when they do not have something to cast to! The only thing I try and do is when I catch a fish I try and not make a big deal about it and try and boat it on the other side of the boat than other anglers!
Old 03-26-09, 01:37 PM   #14
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

most of the tourneys I've fished in...there would definitely be words if they were only 50ft away...if someones catchin fish great, but I will tend to keep to my own game plan and not get caught up in theirs...I guess it's a respect thing. I respect your spot, your space and your fish..I will find my own thank you!
Old 03-26-09, 05:12 PM   #15
bamabassman

exactly my thoughts jasonfish, you're a good sportsman for doing that my friend. and yes if i was in a tourny and someone did that to me, i would have to say something as well. you have won my respect for stating that jason. good man.
Old 03-26-09, 09:50 PM   #16
Tennessee

Default Well

Most every tourney I ever been in always 50 max but you must have a marker out !!!
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 03:33 AM   #17
CCbass

Fact is all the tourneys I fished I showed them the bait I was using, or they new before hand. Still beat most of them time and again, knowing the technique you use has no effect on them seeing it and using it. Its like me saying I see Koby making a jumper in the lane, so if I make a jumper in the lane I'll have the same results. If I had his talents and knowledge maybe so, if I don't it has no recourse, I'll miss 9 out of 10 he'll make 8 out of 10.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 01:15 PM   #18
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
Most every tourney I ever been in always 50 max but you must have a marker out !!!
did those other two boats finish ahead of you in the tournament? I agree with jasonfish, I believe rather than camoflaging my techniques and changing because someone "saw" me fishing, I would question the proximity. Most tournaments I fish have a 100' rule (period, no marker no nothing), the only way the rule can be compromised is by invitation.
My suggestion is to concentrate on your success and not worry about thiers.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.