Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-12, 10:26 AM   #26
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Dave, I have never fished one, can you help me understand what makes it a good bait.
Slightly different profile and different sound. I think it can come down to what the fish haven't seen umpteen thousand times. On the Potomac, I fish it in a warm gold color. Always productive for me. Maybe just a confidence bait/color.

They used to be made by a guy in Florida years ago. I used to buy them at fleamarkets in VA. Bernie Shultz had married into the family and he would be at the flea markets selling them.. When Luhr Jensen bought him out, he still had some original baits. I guess they bought the design but, not the inventory. They were somehow different. I think he sold out years ago. But, I digress, I like the Sugar Shad because it is something not everyone is using.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 10:57 AM   #27
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ive got them from 1/8 ,1/4 3/8(offbrand) and seldom use the lighter ones since I moved to ky lake,here 1/2 is as light as I toss,with 3/4 and 1 oz craft lucky catching just as many drum as the cheaper ones.
As for differences many like a one knocker and a two,or silent without,but at various times of the year they all catch fish.And on any given day one may outproduce another even same brand same color,there is no secret rule other than if one always catches more mark it somehow as two chrome and blue look alike in the same box.If in doubt
Toss pink in the pads or under bridges.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 10:50 PM   #28
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
They used to be made by a guy in Florida years ago. I used to buy them at fleamarkets in VA. Bernie Shultz had married into the family and he would be at the flea markets selling them.. When Luhr Jensen bought him out, he still had some original baits. I guess they bought the design but, not the inventory. They were somehow different. I think he sold out years ago. But, I digress, I like the Sugar Shad because it is something not everyone is using.
Mike Hall was selling them, originals, this year at Dale City and Orange. Guys were buying them to sell in their stores......Let me know if you need some.
Old 03-12-12, 10:54 PM   #29
Tavery5

Quote:
Slightly different profile and different sound. I think it can come down to what the fish haven't seen umpteen thousand times. On the Potomac, I fish it in a warm gold color. Always productive for me. Maybe just a confidence bait/color.

Thanks for the info, is there an easy way to tell the original version from the Luhr Jensen?
Old 03-13-12, 01:05 PM   #30
3dkicker

Original packaging and the paper that comes in the plastic box will give you an idea. If it looks new it probably is.

I'll see if I can get a picture of the old packaging......

versus new......

Last edited by 3dkicker; 03-13-12 at 01:25 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 02:51 PM   #31
basstech

I use four different brands, depending on the needs/conditions. Rat-l-trap, specially when weeds are up and I need to burn a bait. C.C. Hot Spot, same situation but need to slow retrieve down. They are more buoyant or displace more water so they stay up higher in the water column at the same retrieve speed as a Rat-L-Trap. And like everyone else I use the Red-Eye-Shad. I use the same common techniques for anyone of those baits that everybody else uses. Also use the Ratl'n Rap(Rapala) When I want to keep a bait a little deeper at a faster retrieve speed. All of these baits posses different qualities so there will be times that anyone of them will outproduce others. If bass are hitting a lip-less, one of these four is sure to pickup a few bites. It's just a matter of adjustments in retrieve and line size. I have no doubt that the x-caliber, Lucky Craft, Yozuri, Mega-bass etc... all will work just as well and at times any one of them may work better. I for one have no belief that one bait is necessarily better than another; rather one may be better for the conditions just because of it's design. Brand loyalty in this situation will only limit you ability to catch fish on lip-less cranks.
Old 03-14-12, 06:02 PM   #32
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Mike Hall was selling them, originals, this year at Dale City and Orange. Guys were buying them to sell in their stores......Let me know if you need some.
Warm gold 1/2 oz. Let me know if you can get that color and I'll get get a few.

Dale City is where Bernie was years ago. Showed up a couple of years. Last I saw him they were out of ''my" color. LOL
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 08:31 PM   #33
toppwatr

How are you guys fishing the red eyed shad through early spring grass? specifically saminva.....I was under the impression that deep water and drop offs was better in the spring. what are the water temps to fish them shallow in the spring early grass? how fast should they be reeled? Popped off the grass when hung up? Could someone please give me insight on early spring (45-55 degree) grass fishing with a trap? I would love to be able to do this.
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 08:45 PM   #34
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I've thrown Rattl Traps, BPS Tri Vibes, and Bill Lewis.
I've also thrown one more, and it's the only one I will ever buy again.

Spro Aruku Shad (75 size).
My best color is Green Shiner, by far. I've also had luck with Blue Shiner, Perch and Firetiger.
I bought 2 in Red Craw a few weeks back, since they were priced wrong at Gander

While my experience, as far as different brands goes, might be less than some on here, this is my #1 go to bait in the Spring
Old 03-15-12, 12:25 PM   #35
3dkicker

Quote:
Warm gold 1/2 oz. Let me know if you can get that color and I'll get get a few.
I remember them being sold but didn't realize it was him. I'll see what I can do. Mike and I are supposed to get out and fish this spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppwatr View Post
How are you guys fishing the red eyed shad through early spring grass? specifically saminva.....I was under the impression that deep water and drop offs was better in the spring. what are the water temps to fish them shallow in the spring early grass? how fast should they be reeled? Popped off the grass when hung up? Could someone please give me insight on early spring (45-55 degree) grass fishing with a trap? I would love to be able to do this.
I use them on flats that range from 3-8' when the water is in that range on lakes. Not much grass on the lake I fish.

On the river I find points with grass or flats near points with emerging grass. I basically tick the tops of the grass. You have to change speeds to see if that makes a difference. I also make sudden changes to my retrieve speeds to give the bait a little extra action.
Old 03-15-12, 12:44 PM   #36
basstech

Most of the time when water temps in the 40's the grass is still dead or dormant. I usually yo-yo the bait letting it settle down to the bottom, as long as the grass is short. If it's started greening up and is a foot or longer I reel the bait slow or fast enough to tick the tops and popping/jerking it erratically and letting it flutter a second. Depending how much grass you get into determines how hard you need to pop it to clear off. You really want to avoid the middle of the clump cause your gonna have to pop it as hard as you can with long sweeps and it still may not clear off, and I've snapped a couple of rods doing this. In general retrieve speed is going to be determined by the grass you're fishing and the bass them selves as well as the bouyancy or water displacement properties of the bait. Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-12, 03:27 PM   #37
toppwatr

Yea it helped a bunch. Thank you. I will try it this weekend, I have to get a red eye shad frist, I losyt one in the river last year and never thought of replacing it.
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 03:57 PM   #38
T7HeadTurner

Question:
I have some old Lipless cranks, they need hooks, I was wondering what size and type/brand you guys use?
Thanks
-Tim
Old 03-20-12, 11:33 PM   #39
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7HeadTurner View Post
Question:
I have some old Lipless cranks, they need hooks, I was wondering what size and type/brand you guys use?
Thanks
-Tim
The hooks I use for replacements on lipless baits and all other hard baits, excluding top waters, are the Mustad KVD Triple Grips, Gamakatsu EWG trebles and Gamakatsu Short Shank Round Bends. All 3 hooks are black nickel, heavy wired hooks with sharp points. As far as size, it's impossible to know for sure without at least knowing the type of bait. A size 4 is usually a safe bet on most traps but some will take a size 2 in the short shanked hooks.
Old 03-21-12, 06:49 PM   #40
T7HeadTurner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
The hooks I use for replacements on lipless baits and all other hard baits, excluding top waters, are the Mustad KVD Triple Grips, Gamakatsu EWG trebles and Gamakatsu Short Shank Round Bends. All 3 hooks are black nickel, heavy wired hooks with sharp points. As far as size, it's impossible to know for sure without at least knowing the type of bait. A size 4 is usually a safe bet on most traps but some will take a size 2 in the short shanked hooks.
Thank You Much Jrob78

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.