Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-12, 12:20 PM   #1
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Elwood Lumpkins: MR. SMALLJAW

As some of you may know, recently I've been quoting Dale Hollow fishing tips received from this fellow, Elwood Lumpkins.

Back when we were planning the 2010 Dale Hollow Trip, I had several online conversations with Elwood about our trip and any insight he could offer. I even invited him to come out and fish with us. In reply he said, if he could he would make it.

I found an article about Elwood that may interest some of you, and at the least give you an idea of his credibility.

I have not heard from him lately, but plan to see how he's doing and send him an invite to our get-together.

http://www.bassmaster.com/node/103164

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-12, 03:13 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

From what I have read online, Elwood is pretty highly regarded as a Smallmouth fisherman. I'd certainly turn an ear his way if given the opportunity.
Old 04-07-12, 11:39 PM   #3
keithdog

Boy, thats quite a story about perserverance. I miss a few weekends of fishing and feel like I'm missing out. Then you read about this guys troubles and I start to realize just how lucky I am. He seems to know his stufff about small mouth. So Woody, if you can talk him into attending this years Zooker Fest, be sure to get him fishing from your boat!!!
Old 04-12-12, 07:32 AM   #4
joedog

Great share Woody!
I always admire perfection through adversity!
Thanks Mark!
Old 06-03-12, 11:06 PM   #5
Elnutsmalljaws
BassFishin.Com Member

Elwood Lumpkins here. I am nobody special. Just a guy that loves to catch a Smallie or two, especially from Dale Hollow. I have lucked out and became good friends with Steve Headrick, The Smallmouth Guru, and he has taught me a ton. Steve is the guy that started the article in Bassmaster by calling Ken Duke after we won the Billy Westmoreland Tourney. It was kind of weird when I searched my name and Woody had posted stuff that I don't even remember writing. December 3, 2010 was the last Smallie I caught from Dale for that was also the day they airlifted me from the Celina Hospital for another surgery. Hoping to get to fish this winter but will have to see if health and money will allow it.
Elnutsmalljaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 12:21 AM   #6
joedog

Elwood welcome!
Sorry to hear the challenges.
Hope things get better.

Hope you stay around and teach me a few things.
Look forward to learning from you.

You have a great week and I truely do look forward to your posts.
Old 06-04-12, 07:41 PM   #7
keithdog

Welcome to the BassFishin forums Elwood! Make yourself at home and feel free to join in the foray. It sounds like you have been through hell with all the physical issues. I really feel for ya buddy. I hope your able to get back out on the water sooner than later. Will keep ya in my prayers buddy. In the meantime, this is a pretty good group of guys to hang out with. And Mark, "woody", he's the real deal man. They don't come any better than Mark. Great guy.
Old 06-04-12, 10:43 PM   #8
Elnutsmalljaws
BassFishin.Com Member

Take a close look at the fish in the picture above. The fins are frozen on the ends and I am bundled up with about 46 layers or clothes. It was ZERO degrees and NEGATIVE 13 wind chill the day my best friend and I launched from Holly Creek on Dale Hollow. The boat was froze to the trailer and took a good minute to break free under water, there was 3 feet of ice all the way around the Bay and the fish actually froze to the Golden Rule as I measured to see if she would have been an over. Mine was 5-4 and my buddy caught one 5-2 a couple of cast later, both coming on my Number 1 Billy Westmoreland Tourney Winning Honey Hole. We laughed after the second one about how warm it was. We ended up with 9 fish down the first pass on my Honey Hole and turned around to fish it again and saw 4 more boats down the lake a bit. We thought we were the only "Dedicated" guys on the water that morning.
Old 06-06-12, 09:09 PM   #9
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elnutsmalljaws View Post
Take a close look at the fish in the picture above. The fins are frozen on the ends and I am bundled up with about 46 layers or clothes. It was ZERO degrees and NEGATIVE 13 wind chill the day my best friend and I launched from Holly Creek on Dale Hollow. The boat was froze to the trailer and took a good minute to break free under water, there was 3 feet of ice all the way around the Bay and the fish actually froze to the Golden Rule as I measured to see if she would have been an over. Mine was 5-4 and my buddy caught one 5-2 a couple of cast later, both coming on my Number 1 Billy Westmoreland Tourney Winning Honey Hole. We laughed after the second one about how warm it was. We ended up with 9 fish down the first pass on my Honey Hole and turned around to fish it again and saw 4 more boats down the lake a bit. We thought we were the only "Dedicated" guys on the water that morning.
Some of my co-workers think I need help!!!
Old 06-09-12, 04:29 PM   #10
woody

Hello Elwood, Welcome to the site. I'm really glad you found this forum. What an amazing coincidence... I hope you are able to make yourself at home here. Lot of good people, sharing something in common.

There are a bunch of us from this site who have made Dale Hollow one of their favorite get-away spots to fish. Eight of us enjoyed a whole week of fishing there earlier this month. We stayed at Cedar Hill Resort and had a great time of fishing and telling a fisherman's story or two.

My first day out on the lake started off really slow, as I believe it would have for most first-timers to Dale; losing my lake map (haha!) at "blast of" didn't help matters much either. Well, after my first morning on the water I decided to head back and go into town and get a new lake map. I decided to stop at Headrick's One Stop Bait/Tackle and was fortunate enough to be able to meet Stephen and his partner Billy. They were very friendly and it was as if we had already known each other before, I'm sure you know what I mean. I told Stephen that I needed a new lake map and he asked me where all I've been fishing, and said here try these new spots out, they should be holding some decent fish for you. He also said I needed to try throwing a topwater plug and Billy agreed, and showed me what colors to use. These two guys, Stephen and Billy were very welcoming and extremely willing to help another fisherman out with what they knew about the lake. Well, we all had a great time and caught lots of fish and we owe it all to Stephen and Billy for their willingness to help.

Even though you don't remember me, I met you over on DaleHollowFishing.com back in late 2009. This was back when we were planning our 2010 Dale Hollow get-together at Star Point Resort. I was asking the guys on the site for any Dale Hollow fishing advice, and you and few others were more than willing to help out. Thanks again and like I said, I hope you can make yourself at home here on BassFishin.Com and most of all, I hope that you are able to get back on Dale Hollow, real soon!

I plan to make Dale Hollow an annual get away you are more than welcome to join in the fun!

-Mark

Last edited by woody; 06-10-12 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-09-12, 04:43 PM   #11
woody

Oh, and Elwood, if you haven't already seen the pics I took from the trip, here they are.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=32484

-Mark
Old 06-09-12, 05:48 PM   #12
Elnutsmalljaws
BassFishin.Com Member

Tell Stephen you want EVERY honey hole he has on the lake and that I sent you. He will laugh and tell you a bunch of stories about me, don't believe them all, and then find his wife Lynnette and ask her if she is ready to take me up on my offer? A little inside joke between the 3 of us but she will laugh. Good people at the One Stop and Lynnette and Stephen are golden
Old 06-09-12, 09:21 PM   #13
bamabassman

so ver ysorry i am late in welcoming oyu mr smalljaws. but you are a MOST welcomed member here. one day i am gonna go and visit some of my brethern in YANKEE lad, lol. and i will most ASURIDLY need all the help i can get. jsut saving up for the trip for retirement time. or sooner if at all possible.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.