Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-09, 05:45 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Line Stretch

Which has the most stretch? Braid, Mono, or Fluorocarbon??

Most would say Mono but I saw recently that Fluorocarbon had more stretch. Mono would stretch between 18 and 28% where Fluoro had 25 to 35% or something similar to those numbers.

If anyone has the documentation I'd like to read it. I thought someone posted a little on this a while back.
Old 02-25-09, 05:54 PM   #2
doc

If I remember correctly floro has the most stretch, followed by mono, then braid.

Now before I get slammed for saying floro has more stretch than mono let me explain what I read/ or was told. Mono feels stretchy because it has an elastic effect, or it will rubberband back to origional shape. Floro has more stretch but no elastic effect once it stretches it warps, and elongates, becoming weaker.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 06:04 PM   #3
doc

taken from http://www.shallowwaterangler.com/ge...how-to/030318/

"For standard monofilaments, the differences were so slim that they really don't bear mentioning by brand. In general, my test showed that 50 feet of dry monofilament--even some brands labeled as extra tough--will stretch between 3 1/2 and 5 feet at 2 pounds of drag; 4 1/2 and 6 feet at 4 pounds of drag; and 8 and 12 feet at break point. Wet mono stretched about another foot for each pressure point. This is significant because it shows that sweeping the rodtip, even against a seemingly tight line, will not apply strike drag. You still have 10 percent to recover until the drag begins slipping. If there is any slack in the line, the results will be even worse: The fish bites, you attempt to set the hook, and the fish either spits out the offending lure or the hook just falls out on its own. The hybrid lines, which blend mono and fluorocarbon, did not show appreciable decrease in stretch, landing squarely in the range of standard mono. All-fluorocarbon lines actually stretched more--but tended to hold the new length after the first pull. Only one fluoro line, Stren Fluorocarbon, stretched comparably with the monos. One fluoro brand took 8 feet to reach 2 pound, and 12 to reach break point.
Old 02-25-09, 06:11 PM   #4
Jim80

good info doc thanks .

Jim
Old 02-25-09, 06:17 PM   #5
MississippiBoy

I'd always heard that mono stretched the most, then fluoro, then braid the least. I don't fish with fluoro, so I didn't research any. Interesting...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 06:22 PM   #6
Jim80

Fluoro is more resistent to abrasion though if I am not mistaken .

Jim
Old 02-25-09, 10:30 PM   #7
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That's interesting. I thought mono.had the most stretch.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 09:39 AM   #8
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If I remember right, on Tackle Tours tests, fluoro and mon tested about the same dry, but when wet, mono streatched much more.

Still, most companies clain low stretch on their fluorocarbon... I guess not.

BB
Old 02-26-09, 03:05 PM   #9
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

A true test. Take a 3' piece of your favoirte monofilament, then take a 3' piece of your favorite fluorocarbon. Stretch them as hard as you can using your own two hands. Notice that they both stretch, a lot!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 03:08 PM   #10
islandbass

It would be between mono and fc. Either could have more or less stretch than the other. It isn't an all mono vs. all fc stretches more.

The fact that fc line can have more stretch than mono does not take away its ability to transmit feedback to the angler. It is superior IMHO to mono in this regard.

Also, fc line might stretch more than mono, but another thing to point out is that fc line does not share the resilience and elasticity of mono either. Mono does stretch but usually goes contracts back to its state before stretch. When FC line is stretched, it might not contract and remained in that stretched state.

FYI.
Old 02-26-09, 05:10 PM   #11
aikenyounggun

yeah braid doesnt have more stretch but i dont have as good as facts as the other guys like doc said
Old 02-26-09, 06:59 PM   #12
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Most companies claim that's fluoro low-stretch quality makes it more sensitive, but that's been proven false seeing fluoro streatches just as much as mono. So why's it more sensitive? On a molecular level, fluorocarbon is a lot denser than mono (that's why it sinks). fc's density is IMO the reason why it transmits feel better than mono.

BB
Old 02-26-09, 09:32 PM   #13
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Most companies claim that's fluoro low-stretch quality makes it more sensitive, but that's been proven false seeing fluoro streatches just as much as mono. So why's it more sensitive? On a molecular level, fluorocarbon is a lot denser than mono (that's why it sinks). fc's density is IMO the reason why it transmits feel better than mono.

BB

That and the lack of elasticity.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.