Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-18-09, 01:19 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default 2009 Berkley Lightning Rod Shock Series Casting Rod?

This rod looks pretty sweet, and well within my price range! It's made for super lines, which is great for me since I use braid on ALL my casting reels! It's also made to be super sensitive, has a lifted reel seat.. witch is said to add to sensitivity, anyone want to confer this?

http://www.johnnyspond.com/berkley-l...sting-rod.html

Any one used this yet?
Old 03-18-09, 02:16 PM   #2
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i cant see the pic at school but i have an old lightning rod and its great... i use it mainly for shaky heads and wacky..... im not sure about the newer ones tho
Old 03-18-09, 02:23 PM   #3
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
i cant see the pic at school but i have an old lightning rod and its great... i use it mainly for shaky heads and wacky..... im not sure about the newer ones tho
can you see it now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rod.gif
Views:	585
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	3299  
Old 03-18-09, 07:35 PM   #4
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a couple and they are sweet,(aikenyounggun I just got them in the mail) they are light and feel awesome in your hand, it's easy to hold the reel and rod in your hand, they have some good backbone too
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 07:40 PM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbaitkid View Post
I have a couple and they are sweet,(aikenyounggun I just got them in the mail) they are light and feel awesome in your hand, it's easy to hold the reel and rod in your hand, they have some good backbone too
sweet, lemme know how they preform!
Old 03-18-09, 08:27 PM   #6
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

goin fishin this weekend, i'll let you know
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 08:53 PM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbaitkid View Post
goin fishin this weekend, i'll let you know
Thanks man!

btw how do you like the forum?
Old 03-18-09, 10:09 PM   #8
bamabassman

hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 03-19-09, 08:21 AM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Your bait monkey tapping you on the shoulder?

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-19-09 at 12:23 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 05:15 PM   #10
bamabassman

well sorta, see i can't stand the split grip rods. that is the only problem i have with it. and it doesn't have cork on the handle as well. i like cork handles.
Old 03-20-09, 08:18 AM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
well sorta, see i can't stand the split grip rods. that is the only problem i have with it. and it doesn't have cork on the handle as well. i like cork handles.
What's so wrong with split grips? I've never used them would like like to get on for my next worm/jig rod..... better sensitivity I hear.

btw, look at the pic again, I think that's cork.
Old 03-20-09, 12:34 PM   #12
ejvesper
BassFishin.Com Member

I just got a new split grip myself....a Falcon Expert series 7' MH....the rod it definitely lighter than my other Falcons....it looks like the split grip with give me better casting capability and more sesitivity.....can wait for the ice to leave......
Old 03-20-09, 12:50 PM   #13
bamabassman

yes you are correect, it is a cork handle. my bad. never really liked the feel of a split grip. maybe i am just old fashioned. who knows, maybe i'll try one.
Old 03-20-09, 01:10 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
yes you are correect, it is a cork handle. my bad. never really liked the feel of a split grip. maybe i am just old fashioned. who knows, maybe i'll try one.
Yup! Course I'm right! It's me after all we're talking about! Aw, you know I'm just kidding 'round!

If you did get one I would go with this one, mid range price, nothing that would bust you back if you bought! And if you do get it, pick me up one too, lol!

btw good to see you're online, been a wile since I've seen you online!
Old 03-20-09, 01:13 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvesper View Post
I just got a new split grip myself....a Falcon Expert series 7' MH....the rod it definitely lighter than my other Falcons....it looks like the split grip with give me better casting capability and more sesitivity.....can wait for the ice to leave......
Aw! The darn ice still koopin' you up! That's why I line in Florida!
Old 03-20-09, 01:15 PM   #16
bamabassman

well boss. i DO have a J O B i have to attend every monday through friday. and i will add this as well. as the weather keeps getting better and better, i will not be here as much. CUZ I WILL BE FISHING. hahahaha, right now though i haveta go and do more work on the sewer lines and get things ready for the yard sale lisa is haveing this weekend.
Old 03-20-09, 01:18 PM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
well boss. i DO have a J O B i have to attend every monday through friday. and i will add this as well. as the weather keeps getting better and better, i will not be here as much. CUZ I WILL BE FISHING. hahahaha, right now though i haveta go and do more work on the sewer lines and get things ready for the yard sale Lisa is having this weekend.
Aw, still having to do the sewer lines!

Hope I get to go fishing this weekend, missed a whole week of school... been with a bad cough!
Old 03-20-09, 02:56 PM   #18
ejvesper
BassFishin.Com Member

let me ask you this Bassboss....do you still use a rod equalizer on your split grip rods?
Old 03-20-09, 06:03 PM   #19
bassboogieman

I'm lost on this "increases the sensitivity" with a split grip rod. If someone could please explain that. I don't like them either, tried them and went back to my full cork handle rods. With the cork removed behind the reel (where your hand is) how is the sensitivity improved by that? I like having no cork in front of the reel seat, I think that would greatly improve the rod's sensitivity (more so than removing the cork behind where the rod is held) by not dampening the blank vibrations before it reaches your hand at the reel. Additionally the quality of the blank, guides, reel (light mg vs. alum) and line are much more likely to improve sensitivy of the combo, over the removal of some cork. Those $50 Berkley rods are not going to be more sensitive, lighter, whatever when compared with a Loomis, St. Croix, etc. (MID-LEVEL ROD) that has a full cork handle and cork fore grip. I want to understand the rational behind this issue that split grips actually improve the "sensitivity" of any rod, other than possibly makeing it "lighter" by probably 10ths of an ounce which is unlikly noticable to the averager angler.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 06:13 PM   #20
MississippiBoy

Boogie, the cork dampens the vibrations from the blank. If you're touching the blank, then you're getting vibrations straight from the graphite/fiberglass/whatever. The cork right behind the reel is not going to dampen the vibrations you feel through the blank, even though your hand is behind it. It won't dampen the vibrations, because you're holding the blank itself.
I know what I'm trying to say, but it's not feeling right...I hope you understand what I'm trying to get across...
Old 03-20-09, 07:37 PM   #21
bamabassman

i understand you my friend that is soon to be so tired from 2 am feedings,lmao. i just might have to try it after all,lol. see.... i am afraid that i might throw it out in the dang lake cuz i am so used to having a bigger handle to hold. that is one of the problems, and i guess the other is just not being used to it.
Old 03-20-09, 08:29 PM   #22
bassboogieman

I don't, sorry. The vibration traveling down the blank from tip towards butt will be relatively unchanged, I think, until it meets with something attached to it. Removal of the cork BEFORE the reel seat allows finger contact with the blank - completely undampend, and most of these rods have exposed blank under the reel - which is the best possible senario, again that's what I think.
Once the reel (hand) is reached, every thing past that is irrelavent (isn't it?). It's probably simple, but I don't see it. I still think my rods with full cork handles & no forgrip are more sensitive than any split handle rod I've tried - short of a Steez and I believe there are reasons beyond the handle style for that. But the price negates any advantage I could gain by using them, so I'll stick with what I have.
I believe it may reduce the rod's total weight, but unless you are matching an appropriate reel, any "weight reduction" in the rod is negated. I also believe manyrod manufactures have seized on the innovation of several custom rod makers, and are hyping THEIR new rods as "innovation". Said "innovation" not comming from the large manufacturer's (or even EMBRACED by some of the high end manufacturer's) but comming from the true innovator's - the CUSTOM BUILDER - that produce a product that is not only technically superior in many cases, but also makes them more appealing to the eye. I am thinking that these new rods are built like many lures - to "catch" the angler, not the fish.

Help me out here guys with understanding any benifit to split handle rods? Other than personal preference, is there any evidence a split handle provides any noticable or appreciable advantage for the average fisherman? Thanks.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 11:35 PM   #23
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I don't, sorry. The vibration traveling down the blank from tip towards butt will be relatively unchanged, I think, until it meets with something attached to it. Removal of the cork BEFORE the reel seat allows finger contact with the blank - completely undampend, and most of these rods have exposed blank under the reel - which is the best possible senario, again that's what I think.
Once the reel (hand) is reached, every thing past that is irrelavent
I think that's the crux of this discussion. Let me say this, though...I'm playing devil's advocate here, I've never fished with a split grip rod. I'm just explaining the theory.
I don't think the cork before the split will dampen the vibration. For example; take a piece of pipe 6-8 ft long, as a substitute for your rod. Put on a leather work glove, and hold it in that hand like you would while fishing. Drag the far end across something with texture, say, your driveway. You'll feel the vibrations of the little bumps and waves in the concrete through the glove, but, naturally, dampened a good bit.
Now, grip the pipe with your bare hand (no comments from the peanut gallery!!! 3-4 jokes already jumped into my head when I was typing that ) closer to you than the glove, and drag the other end across the concrete again. Even with your gloved hand ahead of your bare hand, $100 says you'll still feel the vibrations better with your bare hand than your gloved hand. Try holding it in just your bare hand, and see if the vibrations are more or less pronounced than with the gloved hand on the pipe.
That's the basic theory...the rod material will allow the vibrations through, even if there's cork closer to the rod tip than your hand.
Old 03-21-09, 07:51 AM   #24
bamabassman

you are absolutly right mb. the cork does dampen the vibrations on a rod. i understand completly. and no...no comments, you already thought of the jokes there pal,lol. now my problem is the casting part, losing the rod cuz of the smaller diameter of the rod one would be holding. now, if i am casting i think that i would be taking a chance of losing the rod lmao. but that is just me. now if i was to use it just for pitching and flipping, probably not. i guess i am just convincing myself to get this rod ain't i? hahahahahaha. yep i am. dang you bassboss, you AND your little monkey friend. you must be getting a kickback or something from him. gonna look for this rod i think if wally world stocks em. other wise you are clear from my wrath pal. hahahahahaha.
Old 03-21-09, 08:41 AM   #25
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvesper View Post
let me ask you this Bassboss....do you still use a rod equalizer on your split grip rods?
Never used a split grip, I though I would try one out starting with this cheeper rod. I have handled them at bass pro, and loved them! But I had to set it down for a lighting rod because it was just out of my price range!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.