Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-23-09, 04:28 PM   #1
OrygunBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rabbit Hair Jigs!

Has anyone actually tried those Rabbit Hair Jigs? They look amazing in the video! Is it just a ploy to catch the fishermans interest or do they really work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt97uzSq2jo
Old 03-23-09, 04:49 PM   #2
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

well ive never used them but they look really good... and you cant fake the fish biting them in the video!!!
Old 03-23-09, 05:33 PM   #3
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingham View Post
well ive never used them but they look really good... and you cant fake the fish biting them in the video!!!

They do look good, but starve a fish in a tank and I bet I could catch one on a sweet potato.

They are some good looking jigs tho.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 06:15 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I got one about a year ago, never used it much. It's got great action! You gotta soke it for a little wile to get the action best, they also hold sent better than most lures. I found some bass on beds, I'll try them on them, see if they work!
Old 03-24-09, 12:19 PM   #5
OrygunBasser

OK, That dang Bait Monkey kept poking at me whispering in my ear, "Ya gotta have some of them things"! So I fell for it and ordered some in Olive and black blue. I will let you know how I think they compare with the regular type!
Old 03-25-09, 07:32 AM   #6
Mac2

A good friend and I tie a lot of them. He's an avid smallie fisherman, doesn't usually tip the jig with anything, and does extremely well. I usually tip mine with a tiny paca chunk and fish largemouth. The first time you use one, it will take about 5 minutes in the water to break it in concerning movement of the hair....I think natural oils or something they use in the tanning has to be washed out.

It's also a very good tip to try and not handle the hair....mostly holding it by the jighead when tying on or moving it about in the box.....it's easy to leave your scent on.
Applying a scent can be done if the tyer has tied on chenille to the body of the hook, but putting scent directly on the hair will affect the action greatly. They are a great cold water bait because of the pulsating movements they naturally make. I prefer olive, then black and brown are tied for second.

Another good tip in using hair jigs is to occasionally tremor the bait. I like to cast and let sink to bottom...after 30 seconds I start a slow retrieve across the bottom and drag it slowly about a foot or two then suddenly gripping the rod handle harder. This sudden grab doesn't move the rod tip more than an inch or so, but it imparts a quick little tremor to the bait....a little sudden nervous movement, not a yank or pull, just a twitch and quite often this little bit triggers a strike.
Another tactic is to cast, let sink, then start a moderate retrieve swimming the bait gently off bottom and in a slightly upward retrieve.....as it gently climbs, add a tremor while steadily cranking a couple times during the retrieve....especially with smallies, this works very well. It's a quick grasp, not forceful, just suddenly gripping a little harder than before...it's the suddeness, not the force that works to create a good tremor.

Hope this helps, good fishing, and kindly post a followup after using them.....would like to hear.

Good Fishing, Mac

Lately, after tying the body and collar, I've been adding a couple silicone strands that lay over the top of the jig and extend beyond the hair to emulate feelers....I've had some great feedback from fishermen using the feeler jigs.

Last edited by Mac2; 03-25-09 at 07:42 AM.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 12:31 PM   #7
OrygunBasser

Thanks for the reply, very good information!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.