Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-28-09, 09:25 PM   #1
OneMoreCast
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OneMoreCast
Default Drop Shot Fishing - Leader?

Hello Everyone,

So I just watched Kevin's video on drop shot fishing. I thought it was hands down the best video I've seen thus far explaining the drop shot process.

I still would like to know if I really need to use a leader when using this fishing technique?

I have been informed that your line will get twisted, thus needing the use of a leader. If I do need a leader, what type of line/knot should I use?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-28-09, 09:32 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

most of the time its just a hook designed for drop shot but if you want a leader try a three way swivel and tie the leader onto it on the side, the weight on the bottom...I've used it and I know what your thinking about line getting twisted up, but with that 3 way its not to bad.
just take about twelve to eighteen inches of mono, like ten lb test and tie a polymer knot
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 10:11 PM   #3
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If braid were my main line, then I would use a leader, an fc leader. If I'm fishing fc as my main line, no leader. To avoid line twist, I will use ds weights with built in swivels. Also, to help things untwist if necessary, I let my line "rest" after every 10-15 casts. It only takes a few seconds. I don't suffer from line twist as a result.

-ib, a drop shot fanatic.
Old 03-28-09, 10:23 PM   #4
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

On 2 of my drop shot rods I use straight fluoro and one I am experimenting with braid and a leader tied directly to the main line.
I would first try tying direct and if you get line twist then use a very small swivel in between the main line and the leader. The swivel helps with line twist but adds another knot in the equation and can make casting more difficult if it gets into the tip guide.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 03:17 AM   #5
Why Not
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Line Twist on Drop Shot

Is line twist using a drop shot really a problem with a baitcasting reel. I can see it with a spinning reel. Of course the bait will have to stay straight.
Why Not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 07:39 AM   #6
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
most of the time its just a hook designed for drop shot but if you want a leader try a three way swivel and tie the leader onto it on the side, the weight on the bottom...I've used it and I know what your thinking about line getting twisted up, but with that 3 way its not to bad.
just take about twelve to eighteen inches of mono, like ten lb test and tie a PALOMAR knot
Fixed! Warranty work. No charge.

BTW, gentle readers (and you too, Zookles,) I use #20 braid with a #10-#12 pure fluoro leader (P-Line Fluorocarbon Leader material, not reg'lar fluoro.) attached via the DuPont J-Knot. This is fished on either an Avid AC69MLXF with a 'Rado 100B (or 'Narch 50MG) OR an AllStar light saltwater spin rod with a Quantum Catalyst PTi 2000 reel.
The braid increases sensitivity and enhances the hooksetting power of the rather lightish rods.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 10:54 AM   #7
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've been drop shoting for a few years now, and as most of you know by now, I'm a 100% braid guy. My drop shot spinning setup is spooled with 10lb Sufix Preformance braid. Then, I tie on a 6 ft leader of 8-10lb mono or co-poly with a Albright knot. I make sure that I tie on the 1/0 Gami Drop Shot hook with a Palomar knot 2 ft below the Albright knot. Then I eye ball 18 inches down from the hook and cut off the remaining line.

With the braid there is absolutely no twist issues. No need for a swivel, or what ever. No need to let out line while the boat is moving to get the line twist out.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.