Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-16-09, 10:04 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Blue skies/post-front conditions

Finally cleared up and no rain. It warmed up but winds from the north and clear skies made things tough. Got out on the radioactive sinkhole and found 55-61 degree water. Ran up lake this time and went looking for bucks that have moved up. Unfortunately they haven't moved up yet in numbers. A few did two weeks ago because there are some empty beds but not many. Found one nice bass next to a good sized rock/stump combo on a main lake point but couldn't get it to bite.
Continued up lake into stained water thinking they'd be a little easier to catch but no luck. Found Mr. Wiskers in a perfect area that I expected to catch some bass. I think he's been reading the magazines and the bass haven't. Main lake cove next to the main channel, old road bed, sea wall and rock all combine with a dock and a laydown.
Fished a bunch of coves, points, laydowns, rock, etc. Even threw a spinnerbait into some of last years willow grass. Nothing. Worked vertical and horizontal presentations without success.
Finished the day up in an area next to where two creek channels merge. It's got rock and wood and a little depth. Picked off the only bass of the day, 2lb chunk, in a transition area between the rock and red clay bank on a Yamamoto finesse worm on a jig head. The bass was silver and had no green at all.
Oh well. Off to the river tomorrow. Taking a couple members of the high school team out to pre-fish for the state qualifier which is coming up in a couple weeks. Hopefully we'll find more fish there.
Old 04-17-09, 10:59 AM   #2
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

That sounds like a typical day on Lake Anna!!!
Old 04-17-09, 08:09 PM   #3
3dkicker

Doesn't it. Pretty much same thing happened today on the Potomac. Caught three bass and one white perch between the three of us. Very little tide movement and bright blue skies. Very tough day on the water but can't complain 'cuz I get to do it again tomorrow . Can't believe the number of boats on the grass beds in Aquia Creek . It was loaded today almost like a normal Sat but no rude fishermen jumping holes or areas.

Got to be careful or I'll end up looking like this . Too much sun and need to slather on some sunblock!
Old 04-17-09, 09:47 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

3D,

Just about the same scenario that woody and I found yesterday at brookville lake, the temp was 52 most of the areas, but like you said two weeks ago
the bite was there, now the same weather patterns you and us ohio anglers have had has sent the fish a lot deeper, most graphed at twenty three feet and some suspended up to fifteen. The bites were few and far between. Hope that the smallmouths here start hitting along with the walleyes, just need some warmer an stable weathre and some CLOUDS lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 09:08 PM   #5
3dkicker

Things improved yesterday and today catching wise but the river was loaded with guys from PA, WV, MD, VA and elsewhere. Bad thing was that some very rude individuals moved in on points and areas and were not staying a couple casts away. Had it happen to me yesterday and watched it happen to another club member today. I even warned him before the boat arrived and the guy caught a limit from within a cast of his boat. Most tournaments have a 50 yard rule but these guys did not care.

Back to the fishing. I'll put it as simply as possible. My thumbs are sore. I caught over 50 fish the last two days and my partner close to 30. A lot of short fish, less than 15", but numbers of 14" chunks. Crankbaits and traps lead the charge. Caught some on chatterbait, spinnerbait, and Paca craws (both sizes). Found water in the 55-64 degree range. Key to the weekend was find grass next to deep water and current movement. Some main river points gave up size and numbers.
One point, one that is rarely fished, was fished by two teams from my club. One guy pulled 19.1 today and 14+ yesterday off it with a 6.7 kicker today. His partner had 11lbs yesterday and 12 today. On the second boat one member pulled 13 lbs yesterday and 11 today. His partner only had a couple keepers each day. That's over 85lbs in two boats in two days. And they culled some fish and released a bunch of fish under 15". Plus the Major snuck in when they weren't looking and picked up a couple in the 2-4 pound range too. An amazing number of fish were caught.

I'll try and post some pics soon.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.