Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-03-10, 12:01 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default BASS Sold!

Yep. It looks like ESPN has sold BASS. I believe this may be a good thing. We'll have to see how Jerry McKinnis and the two others do with the tournaments, magazines, and website.

"ESPN Inc., announced Tuesday that it has reached an agreement in principle to sell BASS, LLC to a group of investors led by Don Logan, Jerry McKinnis and Jim Copeland."
Old 08-03-10, 12:36 PM   #2
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Wow hope this is for the better
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 01:27 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think that this is a good thing. I think their post season format needed a lot of improvement and I think we will see it improved now, at least I hope so. Also ESPN did a shotty job of covering the tournaments and hopefully now it will either improve or be moved to the Outdoor channel where they can get better coverage.
Old 08-03-10, 01:32 PM   #4
CamG

IMO, this is excellent news!

Hopefully we will see a better system to determine AOY, and more coverage for the less popular anglers.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 01:42 PM   #5
RPBassin'
BassFishin.Com Member

Very exciting, i agree the AOY format definitely needs some tweaking.
RPBassin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 02:13 PM   #6
Bassboss

That's cool! Can't wait to see what they do with it!
Old 08-03-10, 02:18 PM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I think that this is a good thing. I think their post season format needed a lot of improvement and I think we will see it improved now, at least I hope so. Also ESPN did a shotty job of covering the tournaments and hopefully now it will either improve or be moved to the Outdoor channel where they can get better coverage.
I agree, they've got crappy coverage! I hope what ever channel they go to is available on basic cable!
Old 08-03-10, 02:57 PM   #8
3dkicker

They need to go back to covering bass fishing. All the human interest stories, the wasted lead in and out to commericials, the jumping back and forth between anglers, and the estimating who has what weight to make things more dramatic needs to go.
Old 08-03-10, 03:22 PM   #9
Lilmoosecountry

Talking

I for one haven't liked the BASS since ESPN had tooken over. I watch allot more FLW in comparison. BASS had been good well since it use to be it'd own company. KVD is like Jeff Gordon in Nascar. I would like see more content less i use to do this & that & blahh blahh myself. What ever happens it has to be allot better than ESPN running things.
Old 08-03-10, 07:51 PM   #10
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't care if BASS and FLW were to go away altogether , I do not get this idea of fishing competatively, I don't see why some fellas here idolize some folks for catching fish. I understand the reason for it, as after every tournament people here start posting about buying the rod, reels, baits, llines. boat even the freaking sun glasses these guys use

I am not dissing them as I dont know them, and no insults hurled at their fans but watching guys fish is right up there with golf for me
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 09:41 PM   #11
bamabassman

ebbets..it's just like any other sport. if there is money ot be made, they will use it to make money. that's the AMERICAN way right? i ma hoping this sell does make it better. right now i get the WFN (world fishing network). not gonna have it for long though. i kinda hope BASS goes to a channel like this myself. hope BASS also gets back to basics on HOW to fish. not the latest hottest bait, rod, reel, boat, etc. i like you ebbits.......i too would rather FISH, than watch men or women fish. but right now that is all i can do. but that will change. like i said, i want to see shows that TEACH oyu certain techinques and such. but if it HELPS make the sport safer and get more folks into water safty and eviromentally helps our waterways....go for it.
Old 08-03-10, 11:30 PM   #12
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbetsguy View Post
I don't care if BASS and FLW were to go away altogether , I do not get this idea of fishing competatively, I don't see why some fellas here idolize some folks for catching fish. I understand the reason for it, as after every tournament people here start posting about buying the rod, reels, baits, llines. boat even the freaking sun glasses these guys use

I am not dissing them as I dont know them, and no insults hurled at their fans but watching guys fish is right up there with golf for me
I happen to like golf too!

I guess I'm the opposite. If you like bass fishing, I don't really know why you wouldn't follow it. I guess maybe some would rather tune into American Idol.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 03:30 AM   #13
Ebbetsguy

I have been bass fsihing since 1962, I don't like bass fishing, I LOVE BASS FISHING, there was a time when there was bass fishing and no tournaments, people went out and fished, some even kept a few to eat.
, I also played music for a long time, I would rather have played a 20 dollar High School dance gig , with a band I was in than go see the top acts in the world . For me doing is always better than watching\then again some guys like strip joints, because they feel safer watching
Old 08-04-10, 02:36 PM   #14
3dkicker

Learned the following from a college professor. You can educate and you can do research. If you just educate then you will never learn anything new. If you just do research then no one will learn about what you have found. So in order to progress you must do both.
Now same thing applies with fishing. You can watch guys on tv or talk to fishermen and never fish. Or you can just go out and fish and not watch others or talk to others. Either way you limit yourself. If you combine the two you'll progress and become a better fisherman.
Old 08-04-10, 02:41 PM   #15
Ebbetsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Learned the following from a college professor. You can educate and you can do research. If you just educate then you will never learn anything new. If you just do research then no one will learn about what you have found. So in order to progress you must do both.
Now same thing applies with fishing. You can watch guys on tv or talk to fishermen and never fish. Or you can just go out and fish and not watch others or talk to others. Either way you limit yourself. If you combine the two you'll progress and become a better fisherman.

Wow that's a bit heavy and Zen for me.
I learned how to bass fish from a very old man named Joe Brikner. He showed me how to use a pyramid sinker with a multi colored rope to find both weeds and depth. Gave me lessons using Rapalas and Creme, then Manns worms in the ealy 60's.
I have learned a lot, from a lot of fishermen when I lived in Louisiana ( 6years) and in Rural NY /NJ and PA. I doubt that the living billboards in BASS and FLW, could teach me more. Ill stick to fishing with old timers, and having fun, while I learn.

Last edited by Ebbetsguy; 08-04-10 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-04-10, 02:50 PM   #16
WTL

I think it has to be a good thing. ESPN ran BASS the same way a bunch of non-fishermen would run bass. They didn't really understand what they had. They thought it was nascar with fins.

We need to get back to being sportsmen.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 11:15 PM   #17
bassinbob

Good thoughts WTL.
Old 08-05-10, 10:35 PM   #18
bamabassman

i agree wtl.......GOOD THOUGHT. maybe they will see just what they missed out on in the near future.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.