Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-06-12, 03:18 AM   #1
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Looking for a 7' Rod

Im looking to purchase a 7 foot rod. Im going to start using jigs on a more frequent basis. I watched a couple of Kevins videos and he suggested at least a 7 foot rod for this particular setup.The problem i have is this may not end up being my thing. With that being said anyone have an inexpensive suggestion for a good 7' jig rod. I dont want to drop another 140 dollars on a jig rod if i dont end up using this tactic. So i guess im looking for a cheaper starter rod.Brand and price is a plus, or if you have one for sale that would be nice as well. Any advice is always appreciated.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 06:50 AM   #2
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

You might want to consider the ABU Garcia Vendetta ($80), or maybe one of the W&M Skeet Reese rods ($90). I haven't used one in a long time, but I always felt that the Berkley Lightning Rods were decent sticks at a reasonable price. If there's an Academy, BPS, or DICK's near you I'm sure you can find something in your price range.
Old 06-06-12, 06:53 AM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

No worries mate. If you devote any time at all to jigging it will prob become one of your things. If not...a good 7 MH rod stands ready to serve you well in a variety of tactics.
Old 06-06-12, 06:59 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I was thinking Vendetta as well. For the price, it's a hard rod to beat. I have one I bought for froggin and it has served me well. My brother has a 6'6" version for spinnerbaits and he loves it. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. And if after fishing jigs for a couple years you should decide your hooked on jig fishing, you can then get a different rod with even more sensitivity. But the Vendetta is fairly light, strong and has pretty good sensitivity already. The model VTC70-5 is a 7' MH/F rod that would be a good choice.
Old 06-06-12, 08:07 AM   #5
lilmule

Kistler heavy action frog n slop special 7 ft 3 about 110 bucks,all star frog/jig rod under 90 bucks either one can pull a stump out with a 6 lber.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 12:52 PM   #6
MIbasser

I use the same rod for jigs as I do frogs and that can be used at a t-rig rod as well. My current rod is a Powell 7' Heavy extra fast. Yes, I have 2 of them but I could get away with jsut one.... My point is, get a nice rod that can be used as both a jig rod and another presentation incase you don't like jig fishing. My $0.02....
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 02:09 PM   #7
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I allready have a W&M reese worm rod i think that i will just get another one for jigging. I appreciate the advice as well. I might look into the garcia though.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 05:10 PM   #8
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

I have been using 2, 7 foot M/H rods by Berkley. It is their Lightning Rod, found it to be light and very fishable. Under $50. Good luck with your hunt.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.