Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-12, 04:09 PM   #1
JerseyFisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Non-Target Species

After fishing today and catching 4 bass and 4 pickerel I was wondering how often during major tournament fishing (Elite, FLW, etc.) are fish other than bass caught. I would assume that pike or pickerel are caught regularly since they share the same habitat as LMB. What are your thoughts?
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 04:24 PM   #2
Bill M

Lot more then TV shows ya, been next to KVD in the St Lawrence river and he catches a few pike. Also seen them catch bowfin also.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 11:30 PM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It happens quite frequently during tournaments. Last year at Pickwick they were catching a lot of big drum. I also remember KVD catching a giant catfish during an event, I believe it was last year too. Stripers are caught on occasion as well. I'm sure pike are caught when they fish up north.

This pic is from practice on Wheeler.

Old 06-16-12, 12:04 AM   #4
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

That's a beastly blue to catch on bass gear! I know I catch tons of drum and smaller channel cats while bass fishing all the time along with green sunfish and white bass. I know the tournament I believe on Pickwick last year they were catching lots of drum below the dam along with stripers or whites.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 07:47 AM   #5
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Wouldn't mind, a fish is a fish, as long as it's tugging on the end of the line,(I don't fish for money), but those toothy critters(snappers included), are bothersome.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 07:48 AM   #6
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

Around here, I often catch gar or drum. Fish a place like Presque Isle Bay on Lake Erie, and I can just about guarantee you're going to lose a lure or two to northern pike, muskie, or pickerel.
Old 06-21-12, 10:59 PM   #7
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

From the first day (today) of the Elite Series tournament on the Mississippi River out of La Crosse Wisconsin.

Quote:
“Cost me seven thousand dollars in tungsten weights today, swinging on pike.” – Gerald Swindle
Quote:
“Today I think I caught half the pike that live in this river.” – Kelly Jordon
Quote:
"You're trading the redfish in Venice for the pike up here," Jordon said, comparing the MS River in WI to the MS River in LA
Old 06-22-12, 01:17 PM   #8
the pyromaniac

I've seen Hank Parker and KVD catch pike & muskies. I've seen Orlando Wilson and Roland Martin catch bowfin. I've seen Ike catch walleye. I've seen Jimmy Houston and others catch catch catfish, and I've seen Tommy Biffle catch drum. I've seen several guys, though Shaw Grigsby is the only one I can recall off the top of my head, get stripers.

Mark Menéndez has managed the Bass Slam, catching a trophy-size specimen of each of the 8 species and 4 subspecies of black bass. He caught all but 2-3 of them in tournaments.
the pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.