Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-06-11, 11:41 AM   #1
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Offshore structure????

Well Its that time a year where I go fishing and catch 2 or 3 early and maybe 2 or 3 before but in between is where I struggle .I was taught to fish by my grandpa and we never ventured from the bank. I see guys fishing in the middle of the lake and catch fish but I cant do it. I dont have gps but I do have a nice Lowrance so I wouldnt think Itd be that hard. I need some ideas to get me started. I can use just ab out any type of lure too. Im stumped I gotta get this down and need help
Old 08-06-11, 11:47 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Deep cranks (enough to get down to the bottom), jigs, C-rigs. Points, humps, creek channels, etc. Deep weed lines are also good targets. Wait for others to chime in about specific structure for summer. You'll also sounds alota good stuff via The Great Google!
Old 08-06-11, 12:11 PM   #3
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you dont have gps get some marker bouys and mark your structure, next set up your lowrance for the correct depth and signal strength, ping speed bla blah blah. if you are fishing vertically you may want your scope on too. you should be able to see your bait and the fish at this poit. good luck man.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 12:25 PM   #4
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Ive tried drop shotting deep structure and cant find my bait and sinker on the screen. what am I doing wrong?
Old 08-06-11, 12:38 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman96 View Post
Ive tried drop shotting deep structure and cant find my bait and sinker on the screen. what am I doing wrong?
Chances are your sensitivity setting is too low. Try increasing the sensitivity on your unit and you should be able to see your dropshot rig. Keep in mind that there is a small sweet spot where your rig will actually be in the cone and if you aren't in this area then you won't be able to see your bait, it takes practice but after you get the hang of it you should be able to do it with no problem as long as the wind isn't blowing too hard. When you get it dialed in you will see two marks on the screen that are your rig, the top mark will be your hook and the bottom one will be your sinker.

Fishing offshore structure and cover is not all that hard, but it is certainly something that not everyone one feels comfortable doing. First thing to know is that it's not just as easy as going out to deep water and catching fish. There are deep spots that will hold fish just as there are shallow spots that will hold fish. Finding these spots can be very easy on some lakes and very hard on others. What I look for are ledges, humps, channel swings, and long shallow points that drop off into the channel. These spots are easiest found on maps if there are any good topo maps for your lake. Once you find several of these spots on a map then just spend your time moving around them watching your graph for anything that might be a sweet spot like brush, rock piles, depth change (like a ditch or a hump), or maybe something as simple as a small patch of rock on an otherwise gravel area. These spots are high percentage places to find fish because this is where they will go to find food. Spend a lot of time dragging jigs, carolina rigs, plastics, and crankbaits over these areas. The number of bites might be less but generally the quality is much better than fishing shallow.

It's been said that 80% of the bass go deep in the summer. But it's also been said that it's not about finding the majority of the fish but finding the catchable fish that matters. So don't get too hung up on fishing deep if it's not working, a small change in weather can turn on a shallow bite really quick.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.