Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-11, 08:27 PM   #1
blaze1
BassFishin.Com Member

Default jumping out of the water

Hello again fellow anglers! I'll get right to it, the past couples of days I've been having a lot of success at local ponds where I live. They aren't bubbas but they're nice enough to snap a pic and talk about but for some reason the ones that hop out the water always seem to get off the hook even after I know the hook is set. Any tips on keeping them down, I don't want to lose any more fish. Thanks for any tips/hints thrown my way.
blaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 08:40 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well sometimes it just happens ,but keeping the rod low and not horsing them helps
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 08:44 PM   #3
WatterBoy

Keep good, steady pressure on the fish at all times. When you feel the fish coming to the surface to jump, try to keep your rod tip down. At least those are tips I've been given anyway. Also, make sure your hooks are sharp so you are getting a good hook set.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 10:06 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

When you see them coming up for a jump, keep the line tight, and the rod pointed down. This helps with some smaller ones, but you'll get a few that'll jump and throw the hook. That's part of the thrill of bass fishing though, ya never know if you'll keep em buttoned, or if they'll spit the hook. It can suck when ya loose em, but keeps things interesting!
Old 08-23-11, 10:23 PM   #5
bassinbob

What type of bait are they throwing?
Old 08-26-11, 08:42 PM   #6
TN_Bassin

When they come for the jump take your rod and while keeping constant pressure on the fish jam it down into the water. Im guessing they are throwing trebles, if they're throwing single hooked baits you're hook is dull, hookset not enough, or you're not keeping constant pressure on the fish. Either way, as it's been said, some fish are always going to jump and some are always going to get off, especially when using trebles, but it's not unheard of on single hooked baits.

Avoid rod tip in the air unless you think you can reel em across the top, wouldn't advise this as a solution because bigger fish will get leverage and get off. Never give a fish slack line. Unless of course you're KVD and big fish actually gravitate to you're boat.

If it's treble hooks you might want to consider Spintech trebles which actually swivel around to try and keep a fish from getting leverage to throw the hook. I haven't used these myself yet, but the idea is sound.

Last edited by TN_Bassin; 08-26-11 at 09:05 PM.
TN_Bassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.