Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-07-05, 07:33 PM   #1
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default prespawn

Here in fl we're getting a warm spell with days in the high 70's and low eighties. This is heating up the water which was pretty cool about two weeks ago. Just wonderring, would the bass go into pre-spawn mode when its warming up like this even though in a few weeks it should be a lot colder again? Would they be in the shallows and then another cold front would knock them down deep? I haven't been fishing for a year even, so I have never fished during the pre-spawn or spawn yet.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 02:11 PM   #2
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: prespawn

pooper
they will move up shallow 3-8 feet from there winter haunts. i would start working the dead grass line and go deeper.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 05:59 AM   #3
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

It really all depends on how long it stays warm, and how large a body of water you are talking about. Smaller bodies of water will heat up quicker, and yes, the bass will move up to shallower water providing that you have enough days of warm weather. When you are dealing with larger, deeper, impoundments, it takes a lot longer for the water to heat up enough for the bass to start thinking of spawning. Like I have said before, bass don't know what month it is. Good fishing
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 09:48 AM   #4
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

Hula,

If you haven't watched it yet check out Bass Center on ESPN2 Saturday mornings. Every show they pop up a map of the U.S. and highlight the spawning areas. Right now they show spawning taking place in southern parts of Texas and central Florida. Check it out next Saturday. It comes on at 7:00 or 7:30 a.m. and then again at like 11:00 a.m. I know that's awful early for a young pup like you but set your VCR to tape it.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 04:03 PM   #5
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

[quote author=Strap link=board=news;num=1105137184;start=0#3 date=01/09/05 at 07:48:38]Hula,

Â*It comes on at 7:00 or 7:30 a.m. and then again at like 11:00 a.m. Â*I know that's awful early for a young pup like you but set your VCR to tape it. [/quote]

I have got no problem waking up at 2 a.m. to go fishing, I've got no problem with 7 a.m. to watch something that useful. The area I'm talking about is the St. Johns River, I've got a tournament on it next sunday. The temperature is supposed to gradually frop throughout the week so next weekend the highs are going to be in the mid-60's.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 07:19 PM   #6
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

Hula,

Just razzing you a little. Â*I see it worked. ;D Â*I'm not familiar enough with Florida to know where that river is. Â*I taped Saturday's Bass Center since I wasn't going to be home. Â*They are showing spawning taking place in Florida just North of Lake Okeechobee to the very southern part of the pan handle. Â*I hope this helps. Â*I checked ESPN.com to try and find more info. there but didn't have any luck. Â*Try this link. Â*http://myfwc.com/ Here's a map. http://myfwc.com/fishing/oims/index.html Try calling your local DNR to get a detailed report. That's probably what ESPN does.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 07:58 PM   #7
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

The timing just doesn't sound right to me. I don't think you will see a very large prespawn pattern on the St. Johns right now, it just seems a little early despite the temperatures. You might get some fish to move up into a pre-prespawn - which to me just means its been pretty warm so the fish move shallow and get a meal because their metabolism raises a little along with the water temp.

This raises a question in my mind. Is the spawn triggered solely because of water temperatures? Personally I think there is another biological mechanism which helps to trigger it, be it the angle of the sun or the length of a day. If it were just the temp, wouldn't bass in Miami begin to spawn in November or december when the water hits the right temp?
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 08:14 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

hula theres suposed to be a cold front moving in on friday. so the weather should be alot colder. i dont no how long it takes the water to cool down but i think a cold constant rain on friday should cool it down considerably. good luck w/ the tourney.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.