Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-05, 06:04 PM   #1
BILLYWHOMPWHOMP
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BILLYWHOMPWHOMP
Default bass fish off the bank with jigs

i have a couple of lakes that i fish on and i cant seem to get amny bass from shore . the one lake i fish alot is a lake called hidden lake it is a big lake with lots of lilly pads near shore i dont know if i should fish in those your out more. there is a bridge where the lake turns into a river and i have goit 3lb bass there but not many please give me some tips for fish on the bank. tell em where to fish.

BILLYWHOMPWHOMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 07:59 PM   #2
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass
Default Re: bass fish off the bank with jigs

I have a few lakes that have tons of pads. If you can find the edges that are slightly deeper, you can catch a bunch of bass on a jig. My bread and butter this year was fishing pad edges in about 10ft of water. I threw a 3/8 oz or 1/2oz jig and pig and did really well.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 08:23 PM   #3
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Your best bet may be to look for the open holes between the pads. Drop into there and wait for that bite to happen. If you cant drop it in try to land it on the pad and let it fall off. Not great w/ pnj but most of the guys will agree you get a lot of hits when its going down. If you can hit the edge of these pads at an angle you may be able to get on the outside edge and work it back to you for a little distance. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 08:44 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Keep the Jig in the tackle box, and throw a Lizard. Best bait I've found around pads. Fish it weightless, hop it or slide it over the top(use lots of scent to make it slippery) Stop it at the holes and let it fall some, the wiggle it. Also great to bring it right off the edge of the pads, and then just let it fall to the bottom, watch your line and be ready to set the Hook.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 09:18 PM   #5
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I love pads. Soft jerkbaits, plastic worms, tubes, Senkos, retrieved over, through and around the pads, letting them sink into holes and the edges. Also, don't forget topwater, weedless or otherwise, whatever you can get away with. Spinnerbaits and crankbaits can be used too, if the cover will allow.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 09:24 PM   #6
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

I like a Scum Frog in the pads.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 12:47 AM   #7
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

Wacky rig a senko and work the edge's of lilly pads or and structure.............

Flippin4it
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 03:15 PM   #8
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

popers, jitter bug ect... try top water baits, could even go buzz baits here as well. from the bank these will help you stay out from shore and in the zone. Plus you can see your bait and know what's happining to your bait.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 08:39 PM   #9
Frank_Eagles
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Frank_Eagles

you guys forgot the mister twister floating buzzbait, a great pad lure.
Frank_Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 01:22 AM   #10
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

Just an idea, but a small live baitfish might do the trick.
Usually, the baitfish in a lake go for cover, and if lilly pads are the case, then they are there. And wherever the bait is, the predator is around the corner.

Just keep the bait out of the pads, and if the bass are there, they'll get it. Use a bobber rig or just freeline, but keep some tension to be ready to set the hook or yank him out of the lillies. Fish the deep edge of the lillies, as always

good luck,

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 10:55 AM   #11
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to danrw84

Here's a trick I've tried a couple of times when I was fishing from shore. I think one of the hardest things to do in a situation like this is to keep the bait in the strike zone, just beyond the pads. Take a floating rapala and remove the back treble hook. Tie on a leader and attach...whatever, plastic worm, lizard, plastic grub...you get the idea. With this rig, the rapala's position will determine where your primary lure sits, and you can adjust the depth as necessary. It also gives you a secondary topwater lure! You can twitch it to give both lures some action or just reel it in. The structure will determine how you use this set up. Hope it helps.
danrw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 12:12 PM   #12
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Bigbassman,
I'm with bassboss on this one, I would throw some kind of frog bait at them. For example the Harrison-Hoge Superior Frog, or Snag proof frog. There is nothing greater than watching a big bass bust on a frog If that doesn't work go with lizardsrule and throw a weightless lizard (black or chartreuse). Good luck!

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 07:08 PM   #13
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

depends on time of year but a buzz bait through the young-small-pads is fast and very good.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.