Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-05, 07:35 PM   #1
bassinjn
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassinjn
Default Stick Marsh

I'm planning a trip to the Stick Marsh and was wondering what time of the year historically has been the most productive? Thanks in advance basshntr
bassinjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 07:37 PM   #2
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI
Default Re: Stick Marsh

I would just use an internet search engine like google to find out that kind of information. It will probably be faster than waiting for someone to answer.

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 07:41 PM   #3
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Havent fished the Stick Marsh, but I would say feb. through april is the best time at least for big bass. Numbers wise the answer may be something different, perhaps october - but who goes to the Stick Marsh for numbers?
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 07:51 PM   #4
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Honestly any time at the stick marsh is good. The hurricanes ripped all the bottom grass out so the hard part is just finding them. Good electronics will help. The spillway at the south end is magnificent if its running. Go to stickmarsh.com- good website, covers the whole area and includes a site map. When are you coming down? I live about 15-20 minutes away from it. Also check the fishing reports, theres a guide that posts fairly regularly about the conditions there. Ive met him once or twice down there- they have that place pretty much wired. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 08:33 PM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=basshntr link=board=news;num=1104878119;start=0#0 date=01/04/05 at 17:35:19]I'm planning a trip to the Stick Marsh and was wondering what time of the year historically has been the most productive? Thanks in advance basshntr [/quote]

Go to the fishing reports section, and "George Welcome" is the guide flfireman, I meen hoseholder is talking about. He can either get you a trip, or perhaps give you some info, if he's not to stingy with it I would also go to http://www.artoffishing.com and check out the info Art Ferguson has posted, I'm trying to arrange a trip to lake O myself with my father, and brother in April. He gives some good tips about fishing down in Florida. I would agree with WTL that Feb-Apr is the best time for Hawgs. But of course they grow them bigger down there, and a Hawg to me is anything 5lbs or bigger ;D Good fishing.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 08:37 PM   #6
Greenworm
BassFishin.Com Active Member

December through May: Best weather will be February through May: Big fish can occur anytime, but if I had to pick I would pick April or May as not only will they be big, but they could be on top water.
Old 01-04-05, 08:41 PM   #7
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

There you go, Ill bow out about the stick marsh with george posting. I know some but he knows more. 8)
Old 01-04-05, 08:50 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=George_Welcome link=board=news;num=1104878119;start=0#5 date=01/04/05 at 18:37:11]December through May: Best weather will be February through May: Big fish can occur anytime, but if I had to pick I would pick April or May as not only will they be big, but they could be on top water.[/quote]

Well I can't argue with a guide from stick marsh, but the last time I was down there in Dec 7th-14th, you guys had a bad cold front, which can happen in Dec even in FL, so I won't plan my trip around that time again. :P :P. Thanks for the info though, as I said you know better than a Hoosier

Lizards
Old 01-05-05, 08:41 PM   #9
Frank_Eagles
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Frank_Eagles

The best combo for Sick marsh is a spinning rod with 14 pd. braid and a senko that you will jig(according to Florida Sportsman, I've never been).
Frank_Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 10:16 PM   #10
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Im not gonna say you are wrong,but- The most productive bait is live shiners. Artificial- spinnerbait, crankbait,ratltraps, plastics. 8)
Old 01-06-05, 10:22 PM   #11
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Well if the Florida Sportsman says its true, then it must be!

I havent seen Senoir around in a while and I don't intend to open up the whole spinning vs baitcasting argument again - but I have tried spinning tackle in florida before - its great until you hook what looks like a 10 pound bass and it runs into a hydrilla bed.
Old 01-06-05, 10:36 PM   #12
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Actually I use my two spinning rods for throwing into the heavy stuff. Maybe its preference. Ive held onto more fish w/ spinning tackle coming out of the weeds.
Old 01-06-05, 11:02 PM   #13
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

why what are you using for a spinning rod a snoopy job.
i have caught and landed a 28 pound blue on a light action spinning rod. fear no evil fish in the nasty for big fish.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 01:18 PM   #14
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

I could land a 20 pound plus cat on a spinning rod too if I didn't have to worry about it diving into cover. 8 pound test line, a 10 pound plus fish, a spinning reel and hyrdrilla does not mix. I'm sure every now and then a guy will be able to land a bass in such a scenario, but it will be because the fish failed to take advantage of so many things that would be in its favor.

I've spent a little time around florida fish camps in the past and I cannot recall seeing another guy using spinning tackle for anything other than specks. I'm not wholly opposed to spinning tackle, I just fail to see why one would risk it around heavy cover.
Old 01-07-05, 02:51 PM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=WTL link=board=news;num=1104878119;start=0#13 date=01/07/05 at 11:18:56]I could land a 20 pound plus cat on a spinning rod too if I didn't have to worry about it diving into cover. 8 pound test line, a 10 pound plus fish, a spinning reel and hyrdrilla does not mix. I'm sure every now and then a guy will be able to land a bass in such a scenario, but it will be because the fish failed to take advantage of so many things that would be in its favor.

I've spent a little time around florida fish camps in the past and I cannot recall seeing another guy using spinning tackle for anything other than specks. I'm not wholly opposed to spinning tackle, I just fail to see why one would risk it around heavy cover. [/quote]

Nope never mind, I'll drop it

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.