Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-09-11, 10:54 AM   #1
pittsburghbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Kayak fishing?

Does anyone fish rivers from a kayak? I have always fished from the shore because I dont have a boat, but I'm thinking about getting into kayaking to increase my fishing range. Much cheaper than buying a boat! But I was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions for a beginner kayak fisherman. I will be using it in the rivers here in Pittsburgh. Thanks for any help!
pittsburghbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 11:31 AM   #2
540hos
BassFishin.Com Member

Default kayak fishin

I fish the tidal Potomac in my old town angler 10. ($500 at dicks sporting goods) it has a locking storage in the back, 2 rod holders and an anchor trolley system. the cockpit is 4 feet. I have my 6 pack cooler and tackle box with still plenty of room I did a lot of research before I bought it. you have to decide if you want a sit in or a sit on. I can go about 6 hours in it before I have to get out and stretch. You can get where the big boats cant. Had it out Saturday with 5 to 10 knot winds the waves were about a foot. It was a little eerie but didn’t flip it.
540hos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 11:43 AM   #3
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Think about a canoe. They have more room for storage and you can put an outboard (gas or electric) on them.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 11:55 AM   #4
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have one and they are a lot of fun. No, it sure doesn't have the storage (or speed) of my 21' bass boat, but it's more fun on smaller water. When in the kayak I usually take 2 or 3 rods, several bags of plastics and a couple crankbaits & spinnerbaits.
Many brands to choose from and they can be inexpensive to quite expensive. Depends on what you want and your budget. Mine is a Hobie Mirage (12') with the flipper drive system, which leaves my hands free (most of the time) to fish. I didn't want to be paddling instead of fishing, but they are 2 -3 time more expensive than a paddle kayak. Sit on top would be my choice, rather than a sit inside for fishing, you are a little higher off the water which makes casting a little easier.
Be careful when you start out, they are easy to tip over, and wear a PFD when on the river at least until you get used to it or are in shallow waters.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 12:50 PM   #5
pittsburghbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I was thinking kayak so that I can transport and launch by myself. Canoes are a bit too heavy to easily do that by yourself.

But yeah I saw the sit on top kind... those do seem to be a good idea for a better view of the water. Thanks!
pittsburghbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 06:13 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

look in the for sale section, there is a fantastic yak for sale.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.