Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-16-11, 08:35 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Make my own lures?

Okay so we all have been there with a soft plastics you get a bass release him and see your lure all torn apart most of trow them away cause you can use them the way they were designed. so i was cleaning out my tackle box found a bunch of june bug zoom baby brush hogs and was wondering could i melt them down and make my own june bug lure. and all of these brush hog are messed up cause fish hit them so hard. so how do you think i should do this? i was gonna melt them and pour them into a mold and let them cool off.
Old 08-17-11, 12:42 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

This should help. http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=28833

I've already been saving a bunch of torn up plastics, got half a big coffee can so far. Just need to get the stuff for molds, and can and hot plat for melting it. lol.

Looking forward to doing it. If you do make some, let me know and maybe we can swap notes.
Old 08-17-11, 05:20 PM   #3
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I read somewhere when I was lookin to pour some plastics a year ago that a guy would keep all of us broken worms etc and melt them and make a custom color ( kept his natural colors together). So, yes, you can
Old 08-17-11, 06:31 PM   #4
PAfisher76
BassFishin.Com Member

I started making my own soft plastic lures last winter.First you have to buy or make your own molds.I use a pyrex cup and microwave to melt the plastic.There is alot of info on Caney Creek Molds forum and TackleUnderground.It is relatively easy but addictive and can get expensive.Good luck and keep us updated.
PAfisher76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-11, 11:54 AM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAfisher76 View Post
I started making my own soft plastic lures last winter.First you have to buy or make your own molds.I use a pyrex cup and microwave to melt the plastic.There is alot of info on Caney Creek Molds forum and TackleUnderground.It is relatively easy but addictive and can get expensive.Good luck and keep us updated.
Did you melt the pre-used plastics in the mike? Or did you use plastisol?
Old 08-19-11, 01:25 PM   #6
PAfisher76
BassFishin.Com Member

I have done both.Remelting plastics smells and smokes alot more.You might want to buy some heat stabilizer for remelting.
PAfisher76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.