Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-04, 11:57 PM   #1
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl
Default WHY WHITE LIZARDS????????

This is a question yet unanswered. I have seen guy's throwing white lizards before , during and after the spawn.I still have seen no fish caught on one....Ideas anyone.I was hoping that Lizardsrule may have some input.......

still flippin4it
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 12:16 AM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: WHY WHITE LIZARDS????????

[quote author=flippin4it link=board=news;num=1103770640;start=0#0 date=12/22/04 at 21:57:20] This is a question yet unanswered. I have seen guy's throwing white lizards before , during and after the spawn.I still have seen no fish caught on one....Ideas anyone.I was hoping that Lizardsrule may have some input.......

still flippin4it[/quote]

WHY NOT .

Actually most folks who use them during the spawn do so more for sight fishing than anything else. It's a lot more visible(for us Bassaholics that is) to work in on a Bed of a big Hawg. And much easier to see if they grab it since it just disappears. Also white has always been a good color, and it was best explained to me by Senkosam. It's not so much the color as the SHADE that fish see. So it's just another shade variation to get the fishes attention. I must say that I've caught fish on just about every color of Lizard except Pink/Bubblegum/Coton candy whatever you wish to call it. And that's just because I have never fished with them. But that will change in 2005 since I picked some up late this year. I could talk for hours about Lizards, and they have been a huge producer for me, even when I can't get anything else to work. The white also reminds me of the Albino Deer/Catfish/whatever, that is always easy to see, so one of the first to become part of the food chain, since it has no camoflage to it(except in Snow, and never seen a Bass in the Snow). I do believe colors make a difference but not ALL the difference. I believe presentaion is at least half of the equation needed to consistantly catch fish.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 12:22 AM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

If I remember right Dean Rojas turned in the all time heaviest one-day total of something like 45 lbs all from sight fishing using a white lizard. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me either, but you can't argue with results like those.

Lizards likes every color of worm as long as it is black ;D ;D
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 12:54 AM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1103770640;start=0#2 date=12/22/04 at 22:22:14]If I remember right Dean Rojas turned in the all time heaviest one-day total of something like 45 lbs all from sight fishing using a white lizard. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me either, but you can't argue with results like those.

Lizards likes every color of worm as long as it is black ;D ;D[/quote]

YEP ;D LMAO, it is my favorite for Lizards, but my personal best day for quantity of fish actually came on a Green Pumkin Zellamander, which happens to be my 2nd favorite color. You know it's much better than red shad, right bassintom :-*

Lizards
Old 12-23-04, 08:47 PM   #5
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

In early spring I've fished a floating, bubblegum colored lizard over grass beds with excellent results. In my area the water gets fairly stained from the spring rains so the pink color helps the fish locate it better.
RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 09:22 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
You know it's much better than red shad, right bassintom
LMAO!
Old 12-23-04, 10:45 PM   #7
lil_bill_dance
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lil_bill_dance

Because they work. Lakeguide
lil_bill_dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 11:19 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i second that lake.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-04, 12:13 AM   #9
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

OK.how? What size lizard? Size hook,weight and line? The more you guys feed the more i learn.....Thanks.

Still ,Flippin4it

Old 12-24-04, 01:13 AM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

I'd fish them like any other lizard-light weight with a 1/0 or 2/0 offset shank hook.

One thing I am going to try this spring is to fish one backwards. Rather than trying to explain that I'll rig one up and post a picture of it.
Old 12-24-04, 04:23 AM   #11
crankbait-nate
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to crankbait-nate

OK since im new to bass fishen,I can ask dumb questions with out feeling too embarest.This color deal has me confused a bit= every one say`s its about presintation, well doesnt color count for presentation. Ive never seen a white or purple or even a all green worm. I dont understand how you can make something look real if its the wrong color . IS there vision that bad? I know ide never touch a purple chicken no matter how real it acts but then that kinda opens up the spinnerbait`s why do they work, and what natural thing do they resemble? Sorry for asking RELATIVLY DUMB questions but when you dont know every question seams stupid once ya know it
thanks! ROD
crankbait-nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-04, 09:11 AM   #12
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Not a dumb question at all. It really has to do with visibility of the lure under a host of varied conditions.

When you select colors for worms, get a few dark ones, a few medium and some light ones. On certain days under certain conditions, the darker ones will work the best....at other times, the medium or light. For dark, black and purple worms are good, for medium, the green pumpkin, grasshopper, and pumpkin colors and for light perhaps the bubblegum, cotton candy and so on. Now, just to make things interesting, a lot of wise fellows on this board use two toned laminated worms like black shad, red shad, and on it goes. Some of us have great luck on glitter worms like watermelon green with red glitter. But overall, and in very general terms, if you have a few dark, medium and light to start with you will do well.

The colors don't often represent a real anything, just seem to work at different times.......
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-04, 09:14 AM   #13
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

p.s. Some fellows like to match the bottom or even the prevelant weeds and try to "sneak" the lure through the environment without being detected.....sometimes they do very well using that technique. The guy on the other end of the boat may be throwing something painted at the carnival and he may do well also.....just that you will find with experience certain colors will come to the top as winners under certain conditions.
Old 12-24-04, 09:21 AM   #14
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Two fishermen at a tournament were discussing spinnerbaits and one fellow was wondering why on earth they work?.......the other fellow answered..."It's kinda like airplane food, you don't know what that is either, but you eat it."

The blade flashing and throbbing attracts the bass's attention......then the skirt may seem to be chasing the blade and may be competition for the bass.

About buzzbaits...some of the guys were wondering about those also....one of the guy's wives came up with the theory that...."the bass see it as a miniature bass boat and want to smash it before it grows."

Something that mankind just discovered along the way, that things don't really have to be real to get strikes. It may suggest someting real, or be similar in some regards and still do well in the fishing world. Suggestive rather than representative.
Old 12-24-04, 10:44 AM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

MAC10 hit the nail on the head, and that is who really knows except the Bass. The best answer I can come up with, is somedays I want Steak, and Some days I want a Hamburger, but I always want MEAT.

Lizards
Old 12-24-04, 10:51 AM   #16
crankbait-nate
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to crankbait-nate
Default  good  info Re: WHY WHITE LIZARDS??????

THANKS mac10 good info as is all on this site.
crankbait-nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-04, 01:08 PM   #17
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=cityboy link=board=news;num=1103770640;start=0#10 date=12/24/04 at 02:23:07]OK since Â*im new Â*to Â*bass fishen,I Â*can Â*ask Â*dumb Â*questions Â*with Â*out Â*feeling Â*too embarest.This Â*color Â*deal Â*has Â*me Â*confused a bit= Â*every one Â*say`s Â*its Â*about presintation, well Â*doesnt Â*color count Â*for Â*presentation. Ive Â*never seen a Â*white Â*or purple or even a all green Â*worm. I dont understand Â*how Â*you Â*can make Â*something Â*look real Â*if its the wrong Â*color . IS Â*there vision Â*that Â*bad? Â*I know Â*ide Â*never touch Â*a purple Â*chicken no matter Â*how real Â*it acts but then Â*that Â*kinda Â*opens Â*up Â*the spinnerbait`s Â*why do they work, Â*and what natural Â*thing Â*do they Â*resemble? Sorry Â*for Â*asking RELATIVLY DUMB Â*questions but Â*when Â*you Â*dont know Â*every Â*question Â*seams Â*stupid Â*once Â*ya Â*know it Â*
thanks! Â* ROD [/quote]

Cityboy, those are not dumb questions-matter of fact they are real good questions. Bass see colors differently than we do, so what looks completely out of place to us may look natural to them. For example, I've never seen anything hot pink that occured naturally in the water but have caught quite a few on hot pink baits.

It really comes down to one thing: confidence. What I mean is that if you are confident that a certain color will catch more bass-it will. I can't explain why, but it has always proven to be the case. Lizards has a lot of confidence in black lizards, so that is what he throws. I like watermelon red flake.

You will find as you fish more that you develop a lot of confidence in a particular bait, which becomes your go-to bait, or the bait that you consistantly catch fish on. Every fisherman is different. I really like a watermelon/chartreuse swirl Tiki Stick. I have a lot of confidence in them. When I throw one I expect to get bit on every cast. I don't, but the confidence is there.

However, there is a trap that is real easy to fall into, and that is that you tend to use your confidence bait to the exclusion of everything else. You can avoid that trap by learning to use more than one kind of lure. If you get confidence in more than one kind of lure you will be a much better fisherman.
Old 12-25-04, 02:07 PM   #18
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

I went to the Bassmaster's University seminar at Auburn several years ago and Denny Brauer said something that has stuck with me ever since. He said that all bass are not in the same mood at the same time.

He said that is why you have the aggressive ones that will hit just about anything that comes within reach of them. Others that are not in a feeding mode have to be "coaxed" into either feeding or defending their space.

He said that is why he loves fishing a jig so much. The aggresive ones will hit it, the sluggish ones see it as an easy meal because it's moving by them so slow and the ones that are just hanging out get pi$$ed when this thing keeps hopping up and down right where they are just chilling. This brought a good laugh from the classroom!

So that is why you can bring a lure through an area that may have a dozen bass in that one spot but only one or two is even interested in it.

RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-04, 07:36 PM   #19
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Flippin, What brand of lizard did you find in white?Zoom used to make them but I thought they discontinued the color.Lake Fork tackle made them but they are difficult to find.White works well in the springtime,I bought them for sight fishing bassbeds but quickly found out bass didn't have to be on the beds to catch them on the white color. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-04, 10:05 PM   #20
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

PnJ, the Lakf Forks are the only ones I have been able to find.
Old 12-26-04, 07:53 AM   #21
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Rebbasser, I got curious and found this on Zoom baits. I never knew they made some of the colors listed. Now I got to buy the motoroil & white ones before my new years resolution of not buying so much tackle takes effect. ;D p n j http://www.anglersupply.com/product....pany&type=
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 11:01 AM   #22
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

in the clear water you fish i would try there old purple finesse worms it is there rarest color they only make it during the winter.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 12:48 PM   #23
randycanfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randycanfish

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=news;num=1103770640;start=0#18 date=12/25/04 at 17:36:16]Flippin, What brand of lizard did you find in white?Zoom used to make them but I thought they discontinued the color.Lake Fork tackle made them but they are difficult to find.White works well in the springtime,I bought them for sight fishing bassbeds but quickly found out bass didn't have to be on the beds to catch them on the white color. P N J[/quote]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
randycanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 10:33 PM   #24
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

You guy's keep it coming...........This is truely awsome.
Old 12-31-04, 12:28 AM   #25
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=flippin4it link=board=news;num=1103770640;start=0#23 date=12/30/04 at 20:33:13] You guy's keep it coming...........This is truely awsome.[/quote]

You got that right Lizards are trulyAWESOME

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

By the way, I fish mostly the White Lizards from BPS. Why? Because I order from them more often, and since I can't find them locally, it's the easiest thing to do. I would get the Zoom, since that's the brand I normally fish, or even YUM Zellamanders, but again, I can't find any White ones locally :P

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.