Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-05, 03:04 PM   #1
Rpgbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rpgbass
Default Fishing in the rain

Hi all, I am new to this board. I live in ontario canada and have what seems a very short fishing season(June 30-November) but after mid October its verrrrrrrrrryslow. Anyway back to the question, I find that when it starts to rain. The bass become tighted lipped. I am usually flippin or pitchin but the bite seems to stop even with a warm rain and little wind. Does the noise of the rain on the water affect the bass? should I go to a noisey or flashier lure? I would appreciate any suggestions
Rpgbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 05:48 PM   #2
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16
Default Re: Fishing in the rain

Ripper, If you are fishing where you normally find the fish during normal conditions would explain why your not catching fish.When it rains ,the bass move alot shallower than normal. That could mean in shallower water or suspended near the surface.Jigs real shallow or baby one minus , floating jerkbaits are a good choice when it rains. I hope this helps you. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 08:43 PM   #3
Rpgbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey thanks for the advice. You are right I am fishing deeper weed lines. I will surely try your advice this season. Thanks again PNG.
Old 01-01-05, 08:54 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=news;num=1104602642;start=0#1 date=01/01/05 at 15:48:56]Ripper, If you are fishing where you normally find the fish during normal conditions would explain why your not catching fish.When it rains ,the bass move alot shallower than normal. That could mean in shallower water or suspended near the surface.Jigs real shallow or baby one minus , floating jerkbaits are a good choice when it rains. I hope this helps you. P N J[/quote]

What he said, man give me rain anytime, without lightning, and I love to fish. The baitfish will move up shallower, hoping the rain will wash in bugs, lizards etc. Then the Bass feed on the baitfish feeding on the insects. I have a lot of success with flukes, and weightless soft plastics during this time. If you find a good run off, many times the Bass will wait in ambush for the critters to be washed in, so throw some baits to where the runoff is starting, and bring them back with the current. It's really good if there is some cover/structure where they can sit behind, and actually be out of the current, just waiting for anything to come by.

By the way welcome to the site, glad you joined. Have fun, and keep asking questions, theres a lot of very knowledgeable folks here who are always willing to help out. I feel for you and your fishing season. I'm a heck of a lot farther south than you(Indiana, USA) and I dislike tremendously how the snow and ice keeps me from my Bassin.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 09:51 PM   #5
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Where from Ontario?

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 09:56 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Welcome to the forum, Ripper!

Good advice. I'll add try a topwater that resembles something struggling in the water that has been washed in up close to shallow cover.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 12:02 AM   #7
Rpgbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Well thanks again, this is awesome advice. With this kind of help I may start to catch a few more fish each time I go out. I hope I can add some tips that I have learned. P.S Robby I live in Ottawa
Old 01-06-05, 01:35 AM   #8
fool4bassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fool4bassin

i love fishing in the rain its personally my favorite time as long as its not POURING lol me and my friend kc where out wading in some marshes and it POURED juts b4 the hurricanes we tried to wade it out but we could barely see 6 feet infront of us lol

back to the topic when it rains bass will move more shallow waiting for things to get brushed into the water like crickets worms and all that i like tossing super flukes senkos and spinnerbaits in this time atleast you are still catching them i can barely recall my last bass then again if barely gone out :
fool4bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 07:34 PM   #9
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

Rain fishing could be outstanding, I've had the most success with a large silver spoon retrived at a pretty quick speed. Retrieve at various speeds if needed, but keep it shallow

good luck,

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.