Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-09-12, 12:20 PM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default callin all reel techs

I’m trying to replace the line roller and bearing on a gander mountain guide series spinning reel model GST30F . I think it’s basically a Pflueger President. Can anyone advise me on parts….. I know baitcasters but I’ve never even taken a spinning reel apart
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-12, 03:58 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think you are on the right track. I'd see if you can find out who makes it-I agree it looks like a Pflueger-then find the right model number. You also might see if you still have or can get online the schematics. That way you will know you are getting the right part. I'm like you-I know baitcasters but not so much spinning reels.
Old 09-10-12, 03:52 PM   #3
DVT Mike

I don't know for certain who makes those for Gander. Pflueger's not a bad guess. You might get lucky and Pflueger will send the roller N/C and you can source the bearing seperately. OEM bearings are way over priced. Measure ID/OD/Width and Boca can set you up. I don't stock them. How did a roller get damaged without damaging the bail etc? I don't replace many roller assemblies but they are an improtant area to service.
Old 09-11-12, 01:04 AM   #4
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
I don't know for certain who makes those for Gander. Pflueger's not a bad guess. You might get lucky and Pflueger will send the roller N/C and you can source the bearing seperately. OEM bearings are way over priced. Measure ID/OD/Width and Boca can set you up. I don't stock them. How did a roller get damaged without damaging the bail etc? I don't replace many roller assemblies but they are an improtant area to service.
DVT you can see I have a little corrosion on the roller…..i may be able to take a little 2000 grit and some simichrome polish….what do you think? Anyway I’m always looking to upgrade a bearing. But seriously I don’t know that the bearing is damaged. I guess ill have to pull out the digital caliper
Old 09-13-12, 11:33 AM   #5
DVT Mike

I'd start by pulling that apart and flushing the bearing as usual and soak the roller in CLR (Calcium/Lime/Rust remover). Hopefully the corrosion isn't pitted yet but a little follow up with some steel wool or fine paper should at least make it useable. As for bearings in anything but a baitcaster spool, upgrades are a waste. If a bearing is shot and needs replacing anyway, an ABEC 5 ss bearing is about $7 and will be a step up from whatever is in there.
Old 09-13-12, 09:59 PM   #6
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
I'd start by pulling that apart and flushing the bearing as usual and soak the roller in CLR (Calcium/Lime/Rust remover). Hopefully the corrosion isn't pitted yet but a little follow up with some steel wool or fine paper should at least make it useable. As for bearings in anything but a baitcaster spool, upgrades are a waste. If a bearing is shot and needs replacing anyway, an ABEC 5 ss bearing is about $7 and will be a step up from whatever is in there.
thanks DVT

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.