Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-03-07, 02:11 AM   #1
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Moon Phase, Water Temp and the SPAWN!!

Over the last few years, the spawn on my home lake really seems to hit it big during mid April. Last year the full moon in April hit on the 14th. The previous year, the 24th. Both winters were almost identically mild.

I specifically remember 2 years ago, the spawn on our lake was really in full swing all over the lake by the 20th or so (near the full moon). The water temp was 68 (+ or - 2 degrees). It really began to start up during the full moon in March.

Last year, the spawn was really on when the full moon hit on the 14th. The water temp was about 66 (+ or - 2 degrees). They were all over the bank and the fishing was great.

This year has been a particularly harsh, cold winter. As I write this, I realize the low tonight is 19! One would think that this cold would push the spawn back a few weeks. However, we were at the lake on Wednesday, with water temps around 48 and we caught fish at dawn with air temps in the 40's burning red rattle traps. It seems to me, the fish are about 2 or 3 weeks ahead of schedule. That would, again, put them spawning right around the full moon.

Question:

Is the spawn in your opinion based more off Moon Phase or Water Temp? I really think that moon phase has more to do with it (from above) once the water reaches about 60 degrees. Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Jolly
Old 03-03-07, 03:11 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i don't know as much about this as i would like to. but i have heard and read a lot that even if the water temp isn't right for the spawn when the full moon hits, there will still be a lot of bass that seem to know it's about that time and start making their move. some may get pushed back to pre spawn areas if a nasty cold front blows through but i guess the full moon puts them in that frame of mind. don't take it for gospel like i said i don't know enough to swear by my opinion this is just what i have heard.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 08:26 AM   #3
zooker

both actually. the most beddin occurs the full moon after the water temps hit 65..

that being said
i have seen it last year real well. but in the southern states bass can spawn TWICE a year..

zooker
Old 03-03-07, 03:58 PM   #4
JB

its the same here as zooker said, right water temp, and usually at a full moon, but I'd say give or take 2-3 weeks before or after some of them do thier thing too..
Tonight theres a lunar eclipse, if you want to see something pretty neat..its clear skies here today so viewing will be great..

The Moon is the central figure in two different kinds of eclipses within one week. A total lunar eclipse, partly visible from every continent around the world, will occur on March 3 when the Moon will pass into and out of the shadow of Earth. The first of two total lunar eclipses in 2007 is unique in that it is partly visible from every continent around the world.

The eclipse occurs at the descending node, 3.2 days before apogee and 1.9 days after the Moon occults Saturn (northern and eastern Europe). During the eclipse, the Moon is in southern Leo, about 13º east of the 1.3-magnitude star Regulus (alpha Leo). The Moon's orbital trajectory takes it through the northern half of Earth's umbral shadow. Although the eclipse is not central, the total phase still lasts 73 minutes. The timings of the major phases of the eclipse are listed below.

Penumbral Eclipse Begins: 20:18:11 UT

Partial Eclipse Begins: 21:30:22 UT

Total Eclipse Begins: 22:44:13 UT

Greatest Eclipse: 23:20:56 UT

Total Eclipse Ends: 23:57:37 UT

Partial Eclipse Ends: 01:11:28 UT

Penumbral Eclipse Ends: 02:23:44 UT

At the instant of greatest eclipse (23:21 UT) the Moon will lie in the zenith for observers in Nigeria and Cameroon. At this time, the umbral magnitude peaks at 1.2331 as the Moon's southern limb passes 2.4 arc-minutes north of the shadow's central axis. In contrast, the Moon's northern limb will lie 6.9 arc-minutes from the northern edge of the umbra and 32.2 arc-minutes from the shadow centre. Thus the northern sections of the Moon will appear much brighter than the southern part, which lies deeper in the shadow. Since the Moon samples a large range of umbral depths during totality, its appearance will change dramatically with time. It is not possible to predict the exact brightness distribution in the umbra, so observers are encouraged to estimate the Danjon value at different times during totality (see Danjon Scale of Lunar Eclipse Brightness). Note that it may also be necessary to assign different Danjon values to different portions of the Moon (i.e. north vs. south).

During totality, the spring constellations will be well placed for viewing so a number of bright stars can be used for magnitude comparisons. Spica (mv = +0.98) is 40º southeast of the eclipsed Moon, while Arcturus (mv = -0.05) is 49º to the northeast. Alphard or Alpha Hya (mv = +1.99) is 28º to the southwest and Procyon (mv = -0.05) is 50º to the west. Saturn shines at magnitude +0.8 about 24º northwest of the Moon near the western border of Leo.

The entire event will be visible from Europe, Africa and western Asia. In eastern Asia, moonset occurs during various stages of the eclipse. For example, the Moon sets while in total eclipse from central China and southeast Asia. Western Australia catches part of the initial partial phases but the Moon sets before totality. Observers in eastern North and South America will find the Moon already partially or totality eclipsed at moonrise.

In the United States, you have to be in the eastern half of the country to see the total eclipse. At the end of the day on Saturday, go outside and face east. As the sun sets in the western skies, a red Moon will rise before your eyes. Maximum eclipse is at 6:21 p.m. EST. The next total lunar eclipse will occur on August 28 this summer.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 09:24 PM   #5
lizardsrule

Man our bass are all gonna be spawned out by the next full moon rotfl. Some however have been spawning as early as Jan in some of the springs, now it's 65 in the St Johns(main river for us anyways), with a full moon and I find more empty beds than beds with bass on them. The water temps around here can vary a whole bunch due to the springs we have. But I guess I can't complain too much about 3 months of spawning bass, other than I dislike bed fishing.

Lizards
Old 03-04-07, 09:52 PM   #6
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Don't claim to know all the in's and out's on the spawn. From what I've seen this year, If a cold front pushes in- the bass move off the beds. If the wind is whipping hard- the bass move off the beds. On that, I don't recall the last time Jan and Feb have been this incredibly windy. I was out Tues and Wed at the Stick Marsh, nothing to brag about 7-8 fish a day most 1-3 pounds. Did catch two fish on Wed that weighed 6.2 and 5.9, both were fat and full of eggs. One caught off a bed, the other caught later in the day after the wind picked up off a drop. Im thinking we may have another week or two of spawn unless another cold front hits.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.