Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-21-07, 07:14 PM   #1
billmid
BassFishin.Com Member

Default tips on ice fishing

i am looking for tips on ice fishing like how to set up tipups tips on jigging
billmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 07:27 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

look for a "tip it" ..its a aluminim strip that sets on the end of the rod and is easy to watch bob up and down if you get a hit.. I always drill my hole, spoon out all the shavings, and lower a heavy object all the way to the bottom, then raise it up about 1 foot, and make my settings on the reel..On my ice fishing reels you can put a peg in the reel and it allows that certain depth to fall every time..
If you don't have a tip it or a ice fishing pole, you can merely let any jig fall to the bottom, then raise it up a few inches to a foot.
I use tear shaped jigs, pink, chartruse, and white produce for me..
You can put a wax worm on it, or minnow, or you can use a swedish pimple jigging spoon if you are looking for bigger fish.
I always take rubber boots, a board to put my feet on instead of the ice, a ice auger, and a spoon..
Dress warm, and if the ice is less than 4 inches thick dont stay on it..
Ice makes noises when it is making ice, and cracks sometimes , so don't freak out..things to watchout for is weak ice around the banks, you can fall through.
I ice shanty and a heater are nice to have, I have a wooden sled I drag a latern in and my gear, then once the lantern is lite, I can put my hands in front of a opening..
Look for a creek channel on a lake, in a pond hit the deepest part...
Drill many holes and try them all till one produces..I have found that ice fishing many times means waiting for the fish to come around, sometimes once you get rid of the snow and make a hole, the new light will attract the fish.
I use 2-4 lb test, and if i dont have a tipit, i use a very small styrofoam bobber...however you can just use a jig and work it without a bobber.
My ice fishing jigs are about 1/32 ounce, 1/6th ounce for bass and bluegill and crappie..if you use a swedish pimple jigging spoon, I use one that is about inch and a half long, and maybe 1/8th ounce. You can also put a mr twister grub on the spoon for white bass action.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 07:41 PM   #3
zooker

iceshanty.com

icefishing forum..

zooker
Old 02-21-07, 10:29 PM   #4
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'd suggest you move south Just kiddin, I'd actually like to try Ice fishin some time.....
Old 02-22-07, 08:34 PM   #5
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman View Post
I'd suggest you move south Just kiddin, I'd actually like to try Ice fishin some time.....

Buy several bags of ice, sit on one, put your feet in one, fill your hat with one, fill a pair of gloves with one, relax and fish That's about it

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.