Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-25-13, 11:52 AM   #1
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Insert for trolling motor foot control

Was at BPS and looking at the inserts to put yor foot control into but they want $144 for it was woundering if any of you would beable to give me the demensions. My buddy said that he could make on for me if I could get the messerment.
gysgthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-13, 07:15 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

measure the size of your foot controller, then make the insert about 1 inch bigger all around. that shouold cover it for you. and how much would oyur buddy take for one? is it molded plastic or what is it made from? i am interested for real.
Old 03-25-13, 09:33 PM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Here's a typical set of dimensions.
Product in Inches (L x W x H):20.5 x 14.0 x 14.5
http://www.walmart.com/ip/MotorGuide...ontrol/8136370
Old 03-26-13, 08:29 AM   #4
bassboogieman

I installed a Troll Well, very easy installation - once you make the first cut into your deck. They are fiberglass and come in white or black for $125. You can get stock flake colors or custom colors to match your boat at slightly higher prices. I do think you need more clearance than an inch on each side. Other brands offer alum. construction with powder coat. Depends on the look you want.

bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 07:43 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett

Why I ask why... first big rain will drown the switches in that well. Also I think Doctors will tell you that a lower left or right foot will lead to meniscus damage. Cuting holes in your deck too.. OH the horror...

Go for it..

Capt Mike
Old 03-26-13, 08:02 PM   #6
bassboogieman

There is a drain hole in the pan. Your foot is not lower than the deck but level with it (or just about). My issue was standing up all day with one foot higher than the other (like Captain Morgan) not to mention the issue of maintaining balance. Although there is a drain hole in the pain, Mike you make a good point - it is a good idea to remove the pedal from the tray when not on the water. A good rain overnight and the drain hole gets plugged, you may have a problem. The circuit board in the pedal does not like imersion in water. That IS the reason I did NOT screw my pedal down in the tray. I use a bungie cord stretched across the pedal to keep it IN THE TRAY when bouncing down the Potomac...

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-26-13 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 08:47 PM   #7
lilmule

Hand control unit with foot on off switch solves all that no foot higher or lower,almost hands off operation with a long ext handle can bump with anything and turn.
Replaced left knee and surgery on right foot so cant use either well,and with a ky lake bouncing deck double trouble.
I did get a foot control with my recent new to me 1985 stratos,but the hand control off my hydrosport will replace it.Be taking quite a bit off the sport the motor and electronics ,most likly use it as a test bed for used outboards to mount and sell since ive got to many spares.
I just cant handle foot cocked or even in one place long,so hand unit suffices.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 09:26 PM   #8
bassboogieman

I'm just the opposite, my Triton had a hand control MinnKota 101 on it when I bought it. I tried that darn thing for a couple weeks and just could not get accustomed to it. Been using the foot control forever, so it just had to go. I've had both knees replaced, so the "Captain Morgan" pose had to go too.
Old 03-28-13, 12:34 PM   #9
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the info will let you know how it turns out and will ask how much.
gysgthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-13, 06:54 PM   #10
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Just put one in a tracker 175 last night. Piece of cake. Took about half an hour.
Old 03-29-13, 09:15 AM   #11
champman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thumbs up trolling motor pedal tray

Put a tray in my CHAMPION last year, best move I made. My hips would hurt all night after a day on the water because of the captain morgan stance. Install was easy and like stated in an earlier post, the pedal is level or just a hair above the deck. You wont regret the change. As far as having one made, that's up to you, I bought mine through my local marine repair shop. Aluminum powder coated $75.00
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 08:40 PM   #12
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I did the opposite. I have a 24v Motorguide that the pedal was too wide for the recessed area. I ran it for a while with one end in the recessed part and the other end flush with the deck and the angle of the pedal made for some uncomfortable foot angles. So I got a piece of 2x8, covered it with some marine carpet that matched the carpet color I had left over from replacing the trailer bunks, bolted in the recessed area to make it flush with the deck, and bolted down the pedal flush with the deck. Worked like a charm and no more uncomfortable foot angles.
Old 04-02-13, 09:11 AM   #13
bassboogieman

That's the first time I've heard of a pan being too small for the pedal. The one I installed is by no means X-large, it's pretty much the same overall size of the others that I've seen, they vary in shape, certainly, but all have had space on all sides of the pedal. I'm guessing your recessed area was a factory install? That's too bad, I really think the recessed tray is one of the best modifications for the front deck to ever come along. Glad you were able to make a correction to suit you preferences, that what really counts.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.