Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-19-04, 10:28 PM   #26
TopRob
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TopRob
Default Re: Swivel clips, Good or Bad?

I can tie a palomar knot in about fifteen seconds or less I just get so use to tieing them its just one of those things that you can do real quick.
TopRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 10:30 PM   #27
bassdog
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassdog

I have a good fishing knot i was taught but i always like knowing more than1. Do you have a link to where i could learn that knot?
bassdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 10:32 PM   #28
bassdog
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassdog

Lol, nvm, i just found it at google and that's the knot i always use, thanks.
bassdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 10:35 PM   #29
TopRob
BassFishin.Com Member

http://www.leadertec.com/knots_palomar.html

Here you go this should help
Old 08-19-04, 10:36 PM   #30
TopRob
BassFishin.Com Member

Never mind that post then now that you found it.
Old 08-19-04, 10:39 PM   #31
TopRob
BassFishin.Com Member

http://www.leadertec.com/knots_clinch.html

Heres another good knot if you dont already know how to tie it but imo the palomar is the best.
Old 08-19-04, 11:41 PM   #32
new2fish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to new2fish

Lizards, i havent been using snap swivels on plastics for reason. i might jsut try it now though in crank baits, especialy at night, its much easier then tying a knot. thanks.
new2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-04, 12:51 AM   #33
bassguy2004

I'm with you Lizzards, no clip or swivel on plastic. I like to be tied directly to the hook on plastics and jigs.
Hey Shug, I'm 53 and it's a bear with the reading glasses and sunglasses. So I use a knot I don't have to be able to see. It's a Crawford figure 8. The only thing I have to see is the tag end of the line going back through the loop, moisten pull tight, listen for the pop and you're done. I can tie it in the dark.
Old 08-20-04, 10:54 AM   #34
BassmanBill
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassmanBill

im not saying that swivel clips are bad im just saying that using them does not mean you dont have to retie.you should retie or your going to break off some fish that you dont have to.i lose enough fish that i have no control over.if my line breaks because i didnt take the time to retie thats on me and when it cost you money its a big deal.you still have to tie the swivel to your line and wheather that knot is on a swivel on direct to the lure its still there.that is why i say dont use the swivel to replace retying.
BassmanBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-04, 11:29 AM   #35
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=hook1 link=board=news;num=1092786045;start=25#33 date=08/20/04 at 09:54:15]im not saying that swivel clips are bad im just saying that using them does not mean you dont have to retie.you should retie or your going to break off some fish that you dont have to.i lose enough fish that i have no control over.if my line breaks because i didnt take the time to retie thats on me and when it cost you money its a big deal.you still have to tie the swivel to your line and wheather that knot is on a swivel on direct to the lure its still there.that is why i say dont use the swivel to replace retying.[/quote]

Good point and I don't use it to keep from retying, I use it for quick lure changes. Or extra action on the bait. And by the way for those of you wondering, it doesn't take me long to tie a new knot, but when you use Fireline or braided line it's a pain in the butt to get all of the line off at the knot

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-04, 12:11 PM   #36
BassmanBill
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassmanBill

i use them on crank baits to for action.i retie alot weather i have one on or not.its like sharp hooks to me i check my line all day and my hooks points and barbs.
BassmanBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-04, 06:27 PM   #37
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

All I gotta say, is dont try them on topwater poppers
:-/ the front end of the popper sinks, and the popper doesn't "POP" I never use swivels tho..., except for catfishing and seafishing, but those are not snap-on

have a good one,

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-04, 09:53 PM   #38
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i use them on every hard plastic bait unless i find one they REALLY want then i tie it on using a rapala knot.
not that i have found any crank to work very well this year...

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 12:35 AM   #39
spidey04
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spidey04

I use them all the time, and I agree the ones with the extra bend work better than the safety Pin types. Â*And I Use them all the time with Plastics ( excluding Jigs). Â*I never have a problem with the clips in the weeds or structure either. Â*When I hook the worm on the hook, I simply hook it deep enough to push up over the snap. Â*and if you fish rubber worms without weight as I do most of the time, it is a bit of extra weight in the nose of the lure. Â*As well as if you are fishing the rubber worm on top with a fairly fast retrieve, It will keep the line from twisting so bad and allow the worm to spin a bit. Â*
Jigs on the other hand I ALWAYS tie with a knot. Â*But that is because it is important to keep the jig Horizontal and a clip does not facilitate that. Â*

They are great for kids too. Â*Make it easy for them to change lures quickly, and dads don't go broke replacing lost lures due to poorly tied Knots. LOL>

I generally use an Improved Clinch/Cinch knot. I have heard it called a double Barrel also, but I am not sure that is the correct term. Â*
Good solid knot. Â*
Another tip for you beginners is when you tie your knot, Wet your line with some spit. Before you Cinch it down. Â*It will reduce the friction of the actual tying of the knot on the line.
I have seen a ton of people tie a great Knot, only to have the line break because they put too much stress on the line tying the knot. LOL>
Go figure. LOL
Â*
spidey04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-04, 05:00 PM   #40
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Had a plain snap open up on me during a tournament once while landing a fish. Never again.
I just tie the knot.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-04, 09:14 PM   #41
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I use a duolock snap with everything and I feel it doesn't reduce action on any lure I use. I can only remember losing one fish, and that was my fault, not the snap's.

[quote author=Shug link=board=news;num=1092786045;start=0#22 date=08/19/04 at 14:33:31]As much as I hate to admit the truth as my age has advanced (54) I cannot see to tie knots without reading glasses. Trying to balance sunglasses and reading glasses have driven me to swivels. Haven't lost a lure yet.[/quote]

I have bifocal polarized glasses. The main part is plain lens and there are magnifiers at the bottom of each lens. Mine are Orvis brand, but they have discontinued them and it's getting harder to find a decent pair. Last I looked, BPS had some cheap ones.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 04:43 PM   #42
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Sephantom, I put a really big swivel on for poppers.

When it's down like that, if you jerk up, you get a really nice pop.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-04, 01:35 AM   #43
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

I don't use em at all. No need. Tie a loop knot for your jerkbaits, and a palomar for everything else. They are really bad for cranks because they rob them of there action, and make them run all goofy.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.