Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-24-07, 09:35 AM   #1
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef
Default Dissapointed in Classic coverage

I'm very dissapointed in this years ESPN's Classic coverage.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 09:39 AM   #2
everettvet

I agree. I can't find where the weigh-in is covered llive except for the net. Sunday's weigh-in on espn2 is tape delayed. That sucks!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 09:39 AM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

whats different? at least ike ain't yellin as much .
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 09:51 AM   #4
everettvet

I was thinking that last year they carried the wiegh-in live or at least the final.
Old 02-24-07, 10:08 AM   #5
Hef

Last year the "real-time" leaderboard was contiuously updated throughout the day. Of course they aren't exact, it gave me something to watch and an idea of how things are going. I'm in a slamfest on Bass INSIDER right now, because of this same topic. Basically paying for nothing for insider.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Old 02-24-07, 10:20 AM   #6
JB

I havent heard what the water temp is on the lake yet, I hope as the coverage continues the more seasoned reporting will develop
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 10:55 AM   #7
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

55 degrees JB
32 air....
Old 02-24-07, 01:34 PM   #8
3dkicker

I logged on to the website last night and couldn't even find who was leading. Everything was unofficial and they only had the top 11 listed. They didn't even have a story on the leaders. Nothing. I thought there may have been some disqualifications and the weren't posting the official results.

At least this morning they showed a little on ESPN2. Unfortunately they're more interested in drama (Who's the most controversial angler?) than on how they are catching the fish and on what baits. At least show me an angler make four or five casts before they catch a fish so I can see the technique being used. I hate the shows today. I'm glad I have copies of the old shows on videotape.
Old 02-24-07, 01:43 PM   #9
WTL

Water temp is hovering around 54-56 in this part of the state. Decent south wind yesterday. Bass werent real active where I was.
Old 02-24-07, 04:38 PM   #10
bfd300
BassFishin.Com Active Member

try here

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/t...ory?id=2776541
bfd300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 12:39 AM   #11
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

I think it was pretty good coverage. Day One was delayed but they had live weigh ins on the website and real time leaderboard. Its on TV right now back to back....Thats pretty good for a sport thats just getting ramped up to be mainstream.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 04:19 AM   #12
flamez

swindle DQ'd for buzzing between a spectator boat and randy howell's really a stupid thing to do in the classic
Old 02-25-07, 08:31 AM   #13
weaverml34

A couple of years ago I wrote an E-mail to ESPN and complained about the coverage. I actually think it's worse this year. For a company that's trying to take a sport mainstream they are doing a terrible job showcasing it's premier event. If it's like the last couple of years they will have more in depth coverage next weekend.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 09:35 AM   #14
jobrien214
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Bad coverage

Its the same crap over and over for three days.... What the hell has happened? Always had good coverage and now it sucks... Poor ol Gerald Swindell ...if he would have buzzed me like that i would have run his punk azz down and stuck his head in the livewell right after i kicked his wannabe hip hop azz...heres a tissue for your crying azz tears you azzhole....another asswipe is all our sport needs....after we complain about the idiot jet skiers and water skiers with no sense of courtesy here comes this flipping hillybilly with his big mouth to put a big skid mark in our underware..thanks alot Gerald you now rank on my list down somewhere between a carp and a big turd........Glad to see you sitting out and too bad someone didnt beat your hillybilly azz.........hahahahahaha
jobrien214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 09:52 AM   #15
Hef

hey hey, don't lump G-man in with the jet skiers and water skiers. Randy Howell waved him through. Yes Gerald should have slowed down a bit, but hey he was just comin through.

- Gen Patton
Old 02-25-07, 12:03 PM   #16
FlyRod

Well, Howell may have "waved him through" but I suspect it was just a bewildered reaction to seeing The Swindler bearing down on him rather than a deliberate encouragement. After all, does anyone here think that twerp would've slowed down even without the "signal".
I guess what buggeth me the most about all this is that there were numurous spectators, probably including some youngsters, who did NOT need to see a so-called pro acting like an idiot, especially in the commission of an unsafe act.
I can flat damned guarantee thee that if I had been in one of those boats and either myself or a passenger in my boat got dunked or injured I'd be on that jerk's arse with a barrage of Zara Spooks, boat paddles, and attorneys.
Sadly, there are some out there who are incapable of brooking or endorsing criticism of their particular hero.
Iaconelli's stupid tantrum last year was bad enough, both in the act itself and the example it may have set in some young minds. Still, it endangered no other person. Swindle's act, however, could easily have resulted in far more dire consequences.
Had injury or damage to another boat occured then BASS and any other similar organization would be well justified in banning him from any sanctioned events for a minimum of five years, if not for life.

FlyRod
Speakin' his mind in San Antonio, The New Third World.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 01:22 PM   #17
3dkicker

Now only if my DQ "premonitions" could only put me on limits of 5-8lb bass .

Holy crap did this mornings show suck !!!!!! How much bull^*#@ are they going to play in an hour and a half? Show me some actual fishing and get rid of the rest of the horsesh*#!

Absolutely worthless.

I wonder if I'll get a response? customerservice@bassmaster.com

Last edited by 3dkicker; 02-25-07 at 02:29 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 02:06 PM   #18
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree...who gives two $hits about skeete's family or hurricane katrina or watching mark zona catch dinks on a shaky head....Ive heard all i can about katrina.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 03:02 PM   #19
carolina-rig-01

i agree, i think zona is a loudmouth punk anyways. if espn isn't serious about covering the classic, why don't they just sell the rights to the outdoor channel?
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 03:10 PM   #20
zooker

carolina rig..
$$$$$$$ thats why...

zooker
Old 02-25-07, 03:57 PM   #21
everettvet

I agree that this morning's show was terrible. Thank goodness that I had to work for a few hours and I used the trusty tool of tivo to pass all of the crap they showed last night. I was able to watch 1.5 hour show in about 30 minutes or less.
Old 02-25-07, 04:46 PM   #22
HOG Ranger

It is really hard to cover fishing especially before the cut to 12. Think about all other sports, they are in a confined area and most of them besides golf is in one area. They put a camera man in most of the contenders boats but nobody is going to watch it if they show a guy fishing and he never catches anything. It would be very difficult to cover a sport like fishing live.

I personally think ESPN has a great lineup once season starts. The Fishin Hole is fantastic, A Day on the Lake is one of my favorite shows and the coverage of the previous weeks tourney is good stuff. Bassmaster University was a very informative show and who could forget, What does Ike like and what would Woo do?
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 05:16 PM   #23
weaverml34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG Ranger View Post
It is really hard to cover fishing especially before the cut to 12. Think about all other sports, they are in a confined area and most of them besides golf is in one area. They put a camera man in most of the contenders boats but nobody is going to watch it if they show a guy fishing and he never catches anything. It would be very difficult to cover a sport like fishing live.
Hog Ranger is right. The area they have to cover is too large to provide a live feed from all of the camera men. Last year they had some helicopters flying around that could pick up and pass on the feed from some of the camera men. Then they had some runners picking up the tapes and running them back to the production truck for most of the footage. I have a feeling that ESPN didn't get the ratings they were looking for last year and decided not to spend the money to cover the classic this year. It's not cheap to have 2 or 3 choppers flying around.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 06:07 PM   #24
Hef

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
Well, Howell may have "waved him through" but I suspect it was just a bewildered reaction to seeing The Swindler bearing down on him rather than a deliberate encouragement. After all, does anyone here think that twerp would've slowed down even without the "signal".
I guess what buggeth me the most about all this is that there were numurous spectators, probably including some youngsters, who did NOT need to see a so-called pro acting like an idiot, especially in the commission of an unsafe act.
I can flat damned guarantee thee that if I had been in one of those boats and either myself or a passenger in my boat got dunked or injured I'd be on that jerk's arse with a barrage of Zara Spooks, boat paddles, and attorneys.
Sadly, there are some out there who are incapable of brooking or endorsing criticism of their particular hero.
Iaconelli's stupid tantrum last year was bad enough, both in the act itself and the example it may have set in some young minds. Still, it endangered no other person. Swindle's act, however, could easily have resulted in far more dire consequences.
Had injury or damage to another boat occured then BASS and any other similar organization would be well justified in banning him from any sanctioned events for a minimum of five years, if not for life.

FlyRod
Speakin' his mind in San Antonio, The New Third World.

FlyRod, I know what you mean about the zara spooks and boat paddles, but I'd be throwing them at the spectators that were all up Howell's backside. We all saw the footage where G-man's boat "squeezed" through..............wait, thats right I said squeezed through. What happend to giving an angler his needed space. What is it like 2-3 cast lengths? Howell isn't that good of flipper, but I guarantee he could have flipped a jig into three of those spectator boat's drink holders. I mean c'mon give a man a break. Don't get it twisted, I'm not making excuses for Swindle, I agree what he did was wrong........BUT, if those spectators weren't all up Howell's transom, G-man wouldn't even been in this situation would we.

- Gen Patton
Old 02-26-07, 12:10 AM   #25
Bob60
BassFishin.Com Member

Bass Classic coverage? More like TV Ad coverage. This ESPN production was CRAP pure and simple.
Bob60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.