Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-21-09, 10:27 PM   #1
B-I-G
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rapala DT ("Dives To") Series

Alright well I have been fishing a lot more lately when I have the time. I finally started trying crankbaits, t-rig worms, and other baits that I never really bothered trying before (big mistake! they catch me a lot of bass!) Well, anyways, I have been using Bomber Model 4A crankbaits and Bomber Series 100 Cranks as well. I have been hearing and reading a lot about the Rapala DT series. I picked up one of them in crawdad color. It is a Rapala DT-6. These cranks are shaped differently than any other and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with fishing these and can tell me some tips on how to retrieve it, when to use it, etc. Any help is appreciated.
B-I-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 04:09 PM   #2
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I really like the DT series from rapala. From my experience they all run great out of the box. Since you are fishing the dt6 I would probably be trying to target fish in the 4-10 foot range, this is because in 4 you will be bouncing it off structure and in 10 the fish can come up and get it. The DT series is a balsa wood bait, and therefore it floats really well, so you need to do some quick cranking right of the bat to get it down, but once its there it runs really consistently. I throw mine on 10 lb flouro. You can crank them pretty slow around structure and get great results, or burn them off the bottom if the fish are really agressive.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 04:23 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I like the DT's as well. I fish mine just like I would any other crank. my favorites are Bandits, but I also use bomber, and have recently purchased some Norman cranks. haven't fished with them yet though.

BB
Old 04-22-09, 04:26 PM   #4
JB

love mine to, just wish I'd quit loosing them...last week with woody I was throwing the black and silver but also have the sexy shad, firetiger and a crawdad color...the smallmouth and walleye at brookville should eat them up!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 05:20 PM   #5
B-I-G

Thanks alot guys... Yeah I don't have a boat.. But I go to a lake that is about 15, 20 minutes from my house and I usually walk around the whole perimeter of the lake fishing at various spots.

It is a man-made lake, and some of the main structures are a huge rocky shoreline on one end which is right by the dam. Also, there is another small rocky shoreline by a cove where I caught 2 or three bass the other day on my Bomber cranks. There are several points on the lake that provide good fishing as well. One in particular has, on one side, a pretty good drop-off to about maybe 7-8 feet. On the other side, there is maybe 3-4 feet of water. The point is right next to a cove with shallow water that provides a lot of bass. Also, there is a really big cove that always has the calmest water. I'm not completely sure of the depth but there is a nice bridge that leads into a shallow pool that holds the hugest turtle I've ever seen (its head was about as big as mine, maybe bigger!) Finally, there are two islands in the lake that, if I find a good angle, I can just barely cast around it.The lake gets PACKED with lily pads in the summer, except for on the big rocky shoreline. As of now, the lily pads are just starting to surface, but there aren't that many yet.

I'm going to be fishing the lake tomorrow from early morning to around early-late afternoon. Temperatures from 46-61. Winds anywhere around 10mph. Cloudy.

I'm thinking of just starting out with the crank around one of the rocky shorelines and see if I can't get a couple hits. If that doesn't work out, I might try it off one of the points/coves. If there still are no bites, I might switch to a plastic worm and around midday, I'm going to tie on a topwater frog (I love using them and the fish at the lake seem to love them)

Alright guys tell me what you think. And Sorry for the long post. Also, if there are anymore suggestions on where/when to use the crank, feel free to tell me.
Old 04-22-09, 05:21 PM   #6
B-I-G

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention.... I'm probably only bringing one rod with me. I just got a 7' Pfleuger Spinning Combo. It is spooled with 10 lb. Stren Mono.
Old 04-22-09, 05:24 PM   #7
B-I-G

Sorry guys I'm new to the site.. this may be a dumb question... but before my last post where i explained my rod, i typed a really long description of the lake but it didn't show up. It said something about a moderator approving it. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but does that mean I just wait, or do i have to type it again?
Old 04-22-09, 05:30 PM   #8
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just wait, it'll pop up eventually. Kevin does it that way to make sure you're not a robot.
Most people, myself included, use a baitcasting reel for crankbaits. But if a spinning reel is what you got, use it. 10 lb mono is about right, too. Remember the lighter the line, the deeper the crankbait will run.
Welcome to the site.
Old 04-22-09, 05:31 PM   #9
B-I-G

Thanks. This site looks really helpful... Alright, well then I guess I will just wait until the thing pops up.
Old 04-22-09, 05:40 PM   #10
bamabassman

welcome to the site BIG. as you will see in time, these are the BEST folks around pal. everyone here will try to help ya out. help us too ok? lol. have fun and feed the bait monkey. you'll be just fine.
Old 04-22-09, 05:42 PM   #11
B-I-G

Alright I will be sure to do that. I bet they are the best around too! It sure looks like it!
Old 04-22-09, 06:33 PM   #12
zooker

i perfure two colors parrot and shad.. they cast better than any crank made of that size.. dig steep and fast..they flat catch bass.. i use them on all kinds of struture..

zooker
Old 04-22-09, 06:33 PM   #13
keithdog

Your spinning outfit should work just fine with the Dt-6. I have 4 versions of the DT-6 and I really like how they perform. Sometimes a slow steady retieve works well, sometimes a fast retrieve trips their triggers. Most often I use a medium retrieve with occational short sharp jerks with the rod tip followed with a pause to give the lure extra action. My favorite color so far has been the olive green. AND BigBassin, I think your going to like those Norman cranks!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 06:49 PM   #14
B-I-G

I guess I will just re-type my other post... if i can remember it all... but okay.

I don't have a boat, so I fish from shore at a lake about 15, 20 minutes from my house. I usually walk around the whole lake, hitting different spots as I move along, staying at some more than others.

There are several main structures at this lake.
The lake is man-made and there are two rocky shorelines. One of them is really long and covers the East shoreline (which isn't as big as you think it is.... maybe 100 yards - the lake isnt huge)... The other is more of small rocks by a boat launching area that nobody uses. It starts a little further down the shore from a cove and continues around the whole cove. I caught a few bass over here on my Bomber cranks the other week.
There are also several points around the lake that provide good fishing. One that I like to fish in particular has a pretty good dropoff to maybe 8-10 feet and on the other side the water is about 3-4 feet. On the side with the 8-10 feet dropoff, if you walk a little further there is a big shady cove with shallow water that still holds some nice bass. I caught a couple bass over here and an unexpected trout off a crankbait. On the other side of the point is another huge cove with very calm water. This cove probably provides some of the best fishing on the lake. I don't remember how deep the water is but it is probably 6-12 feet in my casting distance. There is also a bridge that leads to a shallow pool, which is the home of one of the biggest turtles I have ever seen! (It's head was about as big as mine, maybe bigger)
Finally, there are two islands on the opposite side of the lake than the rocky shoreline. If I get in the right spot and angle, I can cast out there but I still need a little more distance. Anyways, there is good fishing there as well. Lots of schooling bass over in that area.
Alright well I'm going fishing tomorrow from maybe 6 AM til whenever I feel like stopping ... (or whenever my mom makes me stop )... Temperatures will range from around 46 to 61. Winds anywhere near 10 mph. No precipitation but it will be ppartly cloudy probably. We just got through a front, so I might be facing some lockjaw... but that hasn't stopped me yet.. (I havent gotten skunked all year yet).

I was thinking about starting at one of the rocky shorelines and trying out my new Rapala and seeign if that works and maybe finding some wood to work it around. If that produces no hits, then maybe switch to a plastic worm to get all those bass bitin. I am also going to tie on a topwater plastic frog (Theyre one of my favorite lures to use and the fish at the lake seem to really like it!)

Sorry for the long message... any suggestions on where and what to fish will be appreciated... Thanks!
Old 04-22-09, 07:01 PM   #15
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Welcome to the boards B-I-G
Old 04-22-09, 07:02 PM   #16
B-I-G

thanks mallenmanson
Old 04-23-09, 09:45 PM   #17
B-I-G

The lure couldn't have worked better!!! I got three bass on this lure (which isn't so bad considering I lost the lure to a snag about 2-3 hours after I started) I will be sure to get some more in various colors and depths.... Thanks for the help guys...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment.aspx.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	3444  
Old 04-23-09, 10:22 PM   #18
bamabassman

also when you go next time. find the spot where the sun hits the bank FIRST. it will warm up faster then the rest of the lake. pay close attention to the shore line, rocks heat up faster than grass lines (thanks zooker), and clay will too. cast to every piece of structure there is. they are in there pal. good luck and have fun. nice fish you posted too. keep on posting em for us.
Old 04-23-09, 10:47 PM   #19
B-I-G

Alright... The bait monkey's stomach is growling for some more DTs!!! I have to feed him ASAP!!! Anyways... after I lost that lure... I put on a spinnerbait.... and I was kind of skeptic at first (I never really used one before --- I'm a young fisherman and I used to just use one lure all the time no matter what weather, time of day, etc.) After the first few casts, I was reeling it in through the lily pads... It had to go over top of one of the pads and a bass hit it like a topwater lure! I was so surprised!! the bass was about 14"-15"... then, the cast right after, I had another fish on! However... there was a tree branch right in front of me and I tried my darndest to keep that dang fish away from it but it got in it... and was able to get off the hook and tangle my lure in the branch so bad.... I spent about 20 minutes getting it out... coming out with my lure and my shoes waterlogged
I went on to a fallen tree and I worked it and got another nice fish. I thought it was snagged on the tree but it wasn't..
Finally, I got a nice fish (see picture) near an island in the lake....
I have officially become a lover of spinnerbaits and crankbaits!! haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bass4.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	3445  
Old 04-23-09, 11:18 PM   #20
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-I-G View Post
I have officially become a lover of spinnerbaits and crankbaits!! haha
Shhhhhh! Don't say that too loud, you don't want to wake the.....

Too late...
Old 04-23-09, 11:21 PM   #21
B-I-G

haha good one... oh well
Old 04-24-09, 12:00 AM   #22
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

Those DT series cranks have a tighter wiggle than other crankbaits. That gives it a different presentation. There has been several reports that DT cranks with that tighter wiggle works good in colder water temperatures.
pacmanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 03:26 AM   #23
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Shhhhhh! Don't say that too loud, you don't want to wake the.....

Too late...
Wait a minute... That's my baitmonkey, or do they all look alike! I have the matching T-shirt too.

To the subject, glad to see you have had good results with the DTs. Not only are the awesome Cbs, they are one of the better castings ones too. Their castibility is tough to match. Wait til you try xraps, husky jerks, skitter pops and skitter props. Rapala rocks!
Old 04-24-09, 03:10 PM   #24
B-I-G

Yeah I really noticed that islandbass... I was able to cast the Rapala extremely far.... Probably about 25-30% farther than my other lures.
Old 04-28-09, 09:41 PM   #25
Wishing2BFishing

Shad and Parrot rock. I swear by the DT-6's. Although I have yet to place first in any tourney, I did get a second and credit the DT-6 for it (all my fish that day came on DT-6's in different colors).

One drawback is that the lip will crack and even sometimes come off the lure if you are banging rocks all day. So make sure you keep an eye on the lure throughout your fishing if you are casting into rocky areas. Also, buy more than one. You won't regret it.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.