Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-12, 06:35 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Good idea...or waste of $5.00

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewlcpo...alskinpg2.html

Well there are ALOT of pointer fans, so what do you think?
I with out trying yet, tend to agree with review.
How much real improvement is needed in the pointer?

And the bleeding hooks, althouugh I use them, they all chip off the red once bitten a couple of times.
I don't change them out due to color loss.
So I quess it's a success story for the 'Marketing' folks.
Old 02-17-12, 06:57 PM   #2
lilmule

Ive got a plano box full+ another one almost chock full of pointers from 85 to 110,they work but didnt give but 5 bucks for them not like 14-18,tackle stores going out of business etc,couple off ebay where every one was asleep.So not about to pay 5 more,Ill get to try them some day when someone closes out or I get lucky,not about to pay what they are asking.
As for any difference just a positive attitude at times makes one bait better than another and sometimes 3 just alike just 1 gets bit more than the others just like it.Test to me inconclusive,try it for a year various anglers then compile,ps dont tell them their is a difference other wise its pre rigged.
Shouldnt you guys be comparing ice augers this time of year?
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 07:02 PM   #3
bassboogieman

Confidence is the name of the game. I don't think the Real Skin really makes a difference. But if you use one and get bit, you'll develop confidence in that bait and swear it's better than a plain old pointer. It just depends on what the fish like at a particular time. I've had days when bass would ignore a pointer but crush a rogue - go figure.

Regarding the red hooks, I bought a few when they first came out - I'm a sucker for marketing - but I don't buy them now. I got real tired of the red paint comming off and the shiney gold tone hook underneath. I was using more red hooks than my preferred black nickle due to the paint comming off and I didn't notice any improvement in strikes with the red. I try to steer away from cranks that come with red hooks, if I can't then I change them out when it comes out of the package.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 08:11 PM   #4
Jrob78

I've got a LVR with the Real Skin finish. I got it cheap, I don't really see anything special about it above a normal bait. It has a normal finish and then a thick clear coat that has the speckles and dark patches on it. When you look closely, you can see the 3D effect.

As for red hooks, I change them immediately on any bait I get that has them. I don't feel like they are/stay as sharp as normal hooks and the paint flakes off so easily. It's not that I have a problem with red hooks because of the color, I just think they are inferior, probably just a confidence thing. I change out a lot of the hooks on baits anyway though.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Jrob78; 02-17-12 at 08:46 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 11:21 PM   #5
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Ive got a plano box full+ another one almost chock full of pointers from 85 to 110,they work but didnt give but 5 bucks for them not like 14-18,tackle stores going out of business etc,couple off ebay where every one was asleep.So not about to pay 5 more,Ill get to try them some day when someone closes out or I get lucky,not about to pay what they are asking.
As for any difference just a positive attitude at times makes one bait better than another and sometimes 3 just alike just 1 gets bit more than the others just like it.Test to me inconclusive,try it for a year various anglers then compile,ps dont tell them their is a difference other wise its pre rigged.
Shouldnt you guys be comparing ice augers this time of year?
lilmule.............I don't know what to say!

Ice fishing was dangerous at best this year..
We are now entering the 'Truck Fishing' season.
Got a feeling that may shape up to be a record breaker.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.