Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-21-12, 05:47 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Co-angler?

So i am 15 and I want to be a co-angler when i am 16. Where do i go and get any forms or anything? And has anyone done this on here? Any tips?
Old 02-21-12, 08:24 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What do you want to fish? BASS? FLW? NBAA? You are going to want to check out to see if you can even fish. I think (don't quote me please) but most of them you have to be 18 to fish or fish with a parent/guardian.

Good luck!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 08:30 PM   #3
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
What do you want to fish? BASS? FLW? NBAA? You are going to want to check out to see if you can even fish. I think (don't quote me please) but most of them you have to be 18 to fish or fish with a parent/guardian.

Good luck!
I talked to Mark Davis and a few other pros about being pro and all they said was fish any tournament anything you can and as often as you can. I would prefer FLW but if BASS is in my area i will fish it with out a problem. I just have no idea where to start.
Old 02-21-12, 08:47 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Here is the website for the B.A.S.S. Weekend Series. http://www.americanbassanglers.com/BWS/

And here is the website for the BFL division of FLW. http://www.flwoutdoors.com/bassfishing/bfl/

Look at their schedules and see if there are any tournaments in your area. If so then you will need to pay memberships and entry fees to fish the tournaments. I am not sure about the BFLs but the Weekend Series allows you to "link" with a boater. This doesn't mean that you will be fishing with him, but it just moves you up the waiting list to be accepted.
Old 02-21-12, 09:18 PM   #5
basshunter21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
What do you want to fish? BASS? FLW? NBAA? You are going to want to check out to see if you can even fish. I think (don't quote me please) but most of them you have to be 18 to fish or fish with a parent/guardian. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott the fishman View Post
I talked to Mark Davis and a few other pros about being pro and all they said was fish any tournament anything you can and as often as you can. I would prefer FLW but if BASS is in my area i will fish it with out a problem. I just have no idea where to start.
ya if you wanna get into being a pro angler yes you should obviously start fishing as many turnys as possible.

But that really doesnt say much about the regulations of being a co angler. I could see where you would probably have to be 18, which would totally suck for you!

I hope you figure something out, I dont know much turny fishing. But even if it is 18 that just means you a few yrs to get better. Just keep on fishing, you can do it.

It sounds kinda corny and im sure your parents tell you this all the time, but really you CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT in life if you put the work in. Now that im a little older i really regret not believing that when I was your age. Its the truth.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 09:54 PM   #6
TN_Bassin

As I understand it you can fish the Bassmaster weekend series right now as long as your parents sign a waiver releasing BASS from liability in case something happens (all participants have to sign this but since your underage your parents have to sign)

I know many high schoolers who fish the BWS as co-anglers. It is a great way to learn what to do and more importantly what not to do.
Old 02-21-12, 10:49 PM   #7
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Here is the website for the B.A.S.S. Weekend Series. http://www.americanbassanglers.com/BWS/

And here is the website for the BFL division of FLW. http://www.flwoutdoors.com/bassfishing/bfl/

Look at their schedules and see if there are any tournaments in your area. If so then you will need to pay memberships and entry fees to fish the tournaments. I am not sure about the BFLs but the Weekend Series allows you to "link" with a boater. This doesn't mean that you will be fishing with him, but it just moves you up the waiting list to be accepted.
I am from New Jersey not to many big lakes but i got a year i just want it so next spring what ever i can fish i fish it. I think the farthest i could go is 3 hours away
Old 02-21-12, 10:53 PM   #8
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshunter21 View Post
ya if you wanna get into being a pro angler yes you should obviously start fishing as many turnys as possible.

But that really doesnt say much about the regulations of being a co angler. I could see where you would probably have to be 18, which would totally suck for you!

I hope you figure something out, I dont know much turny fishing. But even if it is 18 that just means you a few yrs to get better. Just keep on fishing, you can do it.

It sounds kinda corny and im sure your parents tell you this all the time, but really you CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT in life if you put the work in. Now that im a little older i really regret not believing that when I was your age. Its the truth.

I mean I have no one in my family who fishes. I am alone on this, yes my parents support me but they don't understand it. I am going to push it and if I do make the classic one day i will be sure to have some of the great guys on this form get something.
Old 02-22-12, 02:24 AM   #9
basshunter21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott the fishman View Post
I mean I have no one in my family who fishes. I am alone on this, yes my parents support me but they don't understand it. I am going to push it and if I do make the classic one day i will be sure to have some of the great guys on this form get something.
Well I am just talking generally, Im not talking about how your parents support or dont support a fishing career.

Im just saying in general, parents always tell you when your a kid that you can do anything in the world that you want to.

And 90% of kids just brush that off and just think its another one of those corny things that your parents say, I know I did.

Now that Im getting older you really realize that its entirely true, you can be whatever you wanna be. And I regret not believing that.

Try as hard as you can in school, I kick myself everyday for not. Just work hard at your passions and school work and you'll find yourself where you want to be!
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 09:34 AM   #10
joedog

Just an idea.
Find the closest body of water you are comfortable fishing. Your next free day, go there and slam all the close by baitshops! Talk to anyone you see, working or not. Ask about clubs and local trounaments. Alot of these groups have weekly tournaments. Small buy ins with 100% payback. Most clubs have boaters and non-boater members. Non- boaters are usually matched up, sometimes for season, sometimes per tournament through draws.. These tournaments although competitive are more about sharing and trying new things and techniques. Alot of these folks fish larger tournaments on weekends and alot may be looking for a co-angler do to scheduling conflicts.
Once you prove your abilities you will be amazed how fast word spreads. Folks will approach you and ask you if you want to co-angler with them.
Most will have alot of folks that want nothing more than see you get better and will help you know what steps to take next.
You may have better results and it gets you in the FLOW of things. Meeting other fisherman who like competative fishing.
You will find out alot and it can be real difficult to get to be a co-angler when your young and no-one knows you.
If you had a boat, maybe alittle easier?
Start small. Build on skills and experience. Next time you get a chance to talk to a pro or tournament angler, ask them, alot started just this way.
Hey good luck!
Old 02-22-12, 11:27 AM   #11
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Scott aren't you in some local clubs? I know Hopatcong has some big tourney's on it(too many if you ask me), but local clubs may be the place to start. By the way, how was the Bass University seminar?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-12, 11:16 AM   #12
hdmoorefootball
BassFishin.Com Member

Go to a college that has a good bass fishing club
hdmoorefootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-12, 11:50 AM   #13
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmoorefootball View Post
Go to a college that has a good bass fishing club

lol i was thinking more about bass clubs, this semester, but i cant jutify paying more at a nicer collage till i transfer
Old 02-28-12, 12:42 PM   #14
DVT Mike

Small club tournaments are where I'd suggest starting. Much less pressure and less likely to be "back boated" all day. There is some ettiquette to being a co-angler that you should get comfortable with before trying a bigger tx. Start slow and work your way up. Time on the water outside the confines of competition will teach you just as much if not more.
Old 02-28-12, 08:29 PM   #15
BlueDaksi

Lots of good advice here. My 15 year old son is asking me the same questions about fishing tournaments.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.