Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-12, 10:41 PM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Do we have a responsibility to BASS?????

Bassfishkansas posted an article called remove or remain but I want to go a little further.I’m not sure if there is a right or wrong answer. I would get upset at one of my boys when he would keep a 9 or 8 when he already had a ten…and this was only at a certain lake. There is this reservoir that although is electric only used to be one if not the best bass lakes up here in NC. It closes in the fall and opens in the spring so bass do have a chance to catch a break sort of speak. It used to be on opening day that on opening day anywhere from 10 to 15 tens would be caught with a few 11’s or 12’s. But that was ten years ago. Now on opening day your lucky to see on ten caught…..there is a reason for that. With no Park Rangers bothering to patrol an electric lake people were coming out with their coolers full of 8’s 9’s and ten’s. I don’t object to anglers eating fish…..but here’s my thought…..our population is growing…..not shrinking and as more anglers come out (which is great for the sport) it means more fish will usually die weather by being eaten, the stress of the catch, or some type of injury sustained in the catch. Just imagine what it takes for a bass to get to just five pounds. I’ve heard that here in NC that fish is anywhere from 5 to 7 years old (no I’m not a fisheries biologist). I know in Florida it takes less time because of the climate and further up north that same 5lb bass could be more like 7 years or older. But just imagine what it takes for that fish to make it to that age and size. Not only does he have to avoid predators from older fish of the same species, to turtles, snakes, birds, otters, minks….you get the idea. But on the other side of the coin that fish has to eat to get that size and I know that there are variances in this factor to like what kind of bait there is and how much competition. Another example is on a small 175 acres lake that a buddy turned me on to when I got back it to bass fishing. It was my 2nd home always on it. It taught me to fish shallow cranks and flip and what it was like to have a 38 pound sack. I won my first $500 in a tournament on this lake so it was my baby….only removed one fish an 8lb 5 oz that died after I released her. It had a great shad population and is riddled with stumps. My boy and I told many an angler about this place and I can say I wish that I had kept my mouth shut. I posted to many pictures of nice bass at the concession stand. I don’t know how many 5’ through 9 pound bass were removed from the lake after we spilt the beans. I don’t know how many days I came of that lake with my five best going 25 or better but it was quite a few. One of my boys would ask what was so special and I would tell him I prefer to catch 10 to 15 bass in the 4 to 6 pound range with a few 8’s and 9’s in there as opposed to the lake I spoke of earlier with the potential of catching a 9 or ten but usually coming away with 2 or three dinks. Eventually I had to wean myself of this lake so I could learn other techniques and face other obstacles. But the lake went down and down fast. We struggle to catch half the bass we used to. People were taking out bass just to show their boys….i don’t call them anglers :/ But let me wrap it up with don’t we as anglers whether you are the eat whatever is biting type to the throw every bass back type have a responsibility to the waters and fish that we oh so love to swing on. I truly believe that our waters are going down not getting better (for the most part) whether from increase pressure, pollution, or these droughts we’ve been having. There was only one other thing (football) that gave me the adrenaline rush that fishing does….and my football days are long gone! I want to keep having that rush and want others to experience it as well!!! Just my thoughts.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.