Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-10-12, 11:08 PM   #1
bigjim
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default waders

thinking about getting some ,been told if i get 'em to make sure they are Neoprene as they also keep you warmer especially in the early spring and later fall season when the water is colder...
any recommendations?
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 09:44 AM   #2
ydoc
BassFishin.Com Member

Guess it ALSO depends on where/what waters you'd be fishing...

I fish from a float-tube and have both neoprene and "breathable" type waders. Although I DO wear the neoprene early and late in the season, I've also worn the breathable-style in water as cold as low-40's, with enough under-layers of pants, "long-underwear", double-soxs, etc. to keep warm.

On the other hand... the water never gets SO WARM here (Nebraska) that I couldn't have worn neoprene during the summer too.

Another consideration would be how close you'd be to the water when you put on your waders. If it's mid-summer and you are walking a 1/4-mile to that farm pond in your NEOPRENE waders... well, THAT isn't something that I'd recommend!

If you can afford two pair, get a pair of each. If only one pair, your choice based on the waters you fish, your climate, and HOW EARLY/LATE in the season you plan on fishing in your waders.

Good luck!
ydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 12:56 PM   #3
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm more comfortable in "breathables" sized large enough that I can layer warmer clothes underneath.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 06:59 PM   #4
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default WTF with you?

OK I will go for it, what is your problem? Does your mom know your using the computer again? A little humor is a good thing put you seem to be looking for something a little more than that. At least we know your a kid, ciz you sure are acting like one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfisherkid View Post
How about you stop being a pussy and go out into the water in your swim trunks...
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 02:34 AM   #5
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok, ydoc is right. Noeprenes are really not that bad ...when in the water.
They have a nice tight fit and for me alittle more ease in manuverability. (I'm small)
Now the real or first question you need to ask is do you want bootfeet or stocking foot.
Next be aware that there are different thickness of neoprene, 3-3.5mm most common now. Thicker...hotter.
I personally use bootfeet in 2mm. Good luck findinding under 2.5mm.
Anyways if you use bootfeet, your wearing 'boots'. It's the feet that take the heat punishishment. Hence neos are fine. Breathable are usually stocking foot altough there are exceptions. The comfort of breathable is kind of lost when your feet are stuck in boots heating up.
So which one do you get?..........GOT ME?
But a few things to consider. Stocking foot you buy seperate shoes or boots or what ever you need. This adds another min $30. If your bottom your working is gravel or rock, go breathable and stocking foot. Be aware your going to probably want different footwear depending on weather. Sandles aren't good for cold water....another $30.
If your feet are sinking into the bottom deeper than your ankles then in my opinion bootfeet are a must. There are gravel gaurds and such for stocking foot but they really aren't as effective in mud and silt, plus when you step in muck it creats a 'vacum' making loosing a shoe very concievable. .

Lastly...shop!
You can spend $40 to $440.
Till you really get some time in the water to really find your wants and not wants. But be very cautious of spending too much but be carefull, going cheap off brand can cause early problems because they will end up leaking. Maybe not at first but my guess is before seasons end.
I'm Wi. and i've been in the water a half a dozen times already and opening day was May 6th, so I've done and do a fare amount of wading. Oh and I have both and my neos get used twice as much, year round.

Good luck and you will enjoy. It really opens alot more opportunity for shorebusters.
Old 05-17-12, 08:14 AM   #6
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Boots step on broken glass in stockings you will understand why.
Yes they are hotter,also lot more protection.
The 40 dollar walley world will last 8-10 years,if you take care of them.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 04:45 PM   #7
ydoc
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Ok, ydoc is right. Noeprenes are really not that bad ...when in the water.
They have a nice tight fit and for me alittle more ease in manuverability. (I'm small)
Now the real or first question you need to ask is do you want bootfeet or stocking foot.
Next be aware that there are different thickness of neoprene, 3-3.5mm most common now. Thicker...hotter.
I personally use bootfeet in 2mm. Good luck findinding under 2.5mm.
Anyways if you use bootfeet, your wearing 'boots'. It's the feet that take the heat punishishment. Hence neos are fine. Breathable are usually stocking foot altough there are exceptions. The comfort of breathable is kind of lost when your feet are stuck in boots heating up.
So which one do you get?..........GOT ME?
But a few things to consider. Stocking foot you buy seperate shoes or boots or what ever you need. This adds another min $30. If your bottom your working is gravel or rock, go breathable and stocking foot. Be aware your going to probably want different footwear depending on weather. Sandles aren't good for cold water....another $30.
If your feet are sinking into the bottom deeper than your ankles then in my opinion bootfeet are a must. There are gravel gaurds and such for stocking foot but they really aren't as effective in mud and silt, plus when you step in muck it creats a 'vacum' making loosing a shoe very concievable. .

Lastly...shop!
You can spend $40 to $440.
Till you really get some time in the water to really find your wants and not wants. But be very cautious of spending too much but be carefull, going cheap off brand can cause early problems because they will end up leaking. Maybe not at first but my guess is before seasons end.
I'm Wi. and i've been in the water a half a dozen times already and opening day was May 6th, so I've done and do a fare amount of wading. Oh and I have both and my neos get used twice as much, year round.

Good luck and you will enjoy. It really opens alot more opportunity for shorebusters.
Yep, ALL good points! I forgot to mention (I think), that MY wader application is for float-tubing. So, I need to have the stocking-foot wader in order to allow the ankle fliexibility to "kick" my fins".

If near-by the water, I'll CAREFULLY walk on the grass/shore in my stocking-foot waders.

If I have a way to go, I put on my waders first and slip on an over-sized pair of (fake) Crocs to trek to the water.

Once at the water, I turn over a 5-gal bucket that I used to carry misc. stuff with me, as a stool to put on my fins. I have XXL fins the way it is... if I didn't have size 14 feet, I'd then put on some kind of "pool-shoe" to protect the waders while fishing. But, most of the time it's just wader booties into the fins and hope for the best.

IF I WAS WADING the shoreline, I think that boot-foot waders would be best.
ydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 07:51 PM   #8
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I fish a lot of rivers here in the Ozarks, and I fish them all year round. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what type and brand of waders to get. I was wearing some rubber hip boots and decided it was time to upgrade, and opted for Simms Freestone waders with Simms wading boots. I know, I spent some money on them, but I'm glad I did. Wore them all winter long and they were awesome. Never had to worry about a thing while on the water. On cold days, I would layer up, with a pair of thermal longhandles and/or fleece pants and stayed pretty much comfortable to warm. Breathable waders, are much lighter than neoprenes, and if you do much hiking(which I do) that makes a big difference on your day. The only issue I ever had was one morning waking up and it was especially cold out and my boots were frozen solid. I had to actually dip them in the river to thaw them out.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.