Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-12-12, 05:39 PM   #26
blackstang93
BassFishin.Com Member

I went outside and practiced for 15 minutes.lol This thing isnt like the old garage sale baitcasters Ive thrown. pretty darn nice. I got the left handed retrieve which will help me.that's what all my spinning reels are. I doubt if I ever get as deadly accurate with it as my spinning reels I've fished for 20 years but Ill sure try.
blackstang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 06:00 PM   #27
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang93 View Post
I went outside and practiced for 15 minutes.lol This thing isnt like the old garage sale baitcasters Ive thrown. pretty darn nice. I got the left handed retrieve which will help me.that's what all my spinning reels are. I doubt if I ever get as deadly accurate with it as my spinning reels I've fished for 20 years but Ill sure try.
Looks like you already got a combo!

Should a great reel, hope you enjoy it, it should treat ya well!

Curious as to what line ya got for it?
Old 02-12-12, 06:33 PM   #28
WTL

Just thought I'd add - I am of the opinion that a good real placed on a cheap but right sized rod is way more valuable than getting an expensive rod and a soso reel. I am going to test this idea over the year by placibg my abu 1600 (now with orange seal boca bearings) on a 7' shakespeare micographite spinning rod that loads right when I throw 3" senko knockoffs. If it works good longterm, I will strip the blank and properly convert it to triggerstick, with microguides.
Old 02-12-12, 07:10 PM   #29
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

WTL, I agree with some of what you said but would add this, if you are fishing reaction type baits the reel is the more important of the two, but when you start fishing contact type baits were sensitivity is king, I would put more money into the rod.
Old 02-12-12, 07:24 PM   #30
WTL

Maybe, but I use powerpro, which does more for sensitivity with a 20 dollar spool than I could do with a 400 dollar rod.

But we are talking tradeoffs here. Besides, any way you cut it a light action rod is pretty light. I think maybe the more expensive blanks get a better return with heavier sizes.
Old 02-12-12, 07:25 PM   #31
blackstang93
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Looks like you already got a combo!

Should a great reel, hope you enjoy it, it should treat ya well!

Curious as to what line ya got for it?

I took the advise of "rebbasser" and bought a spool of 12 pound P-line floroclear. also I seen that you mentioned that quantum Smoke reel. The guy at BP said they are already having problems with its gears. But that's just what he said.
Old 02-12-12, 07:41 PM   #32
joedog

blackstang93, you have a very nice set up. You may have forgotten the specifics you read here but by your choices it seems you quickly learned the concepts.
Nice work. If I would've started bait casting with your beautifull set up my vocabulary would probably be cut in half.
Have fun!
Old 02-12-12, 07:45 PM   #33
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Maybe, but I use powerpro, which does more for sensitivity with a 20 dollar spool than I could do with a 400 dollar rod.

But we are talking tradeoffs here. Besides, any way you cut it a light action rod is pretty light. I think maybe the more expensive blanks get a better return with heavier sizes.

If that is what you believe then I respect that, but I can tell you without doubt that if you put a 20 dollar spool of braid on an ugly stick, it still will be light years from what an upper end rod can do for you in the terms of sensitivity.
Old 02-12-12, 07:52 PM   #34
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
If that is what you believe then I respect that, but I can tell you without doubt that if you put a 20 dollar spool of braid on an ugly stick, it still will be light years from what an upper end rod can do for you in the terms of sensitivity.
That's too funny What's that old saw? you can make chicken salad out of a chicken shi* rod if you put a little braid on it? No wait that's not it.

STANG good choice........practice.practice.practice
Old 02-12-12, 08:21 PM   #35
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Im talking about marginal utility here. Forget ugly sticks, I agree they are too heavy. But you stll make up waaaaaaaaaaaay more ground by switching from mono to braid than you do by going from a $40 graphite rod to a custom rod on a loomis blank.
Old 02-12-12, 08:29 PM   #36
Tavery5

Quote:
Im talking about marginal utility here. Forget ugly sticks, I agree they are too heavy. But you stll make up waaaaaaaaaaaay more ground by switching from mono to braid than you do by going from a $40 graphite rod to a custom rod on a loomis blank.

Again, I respect your opinion but I don't think that I could disagree with you more.
Old 02-12-12, 08:33 PM   #37
WTL

Thats fine. We are coming from different areas. My goal has always been about getting my moneys worth. If I lose 1 or 2 fish because I didnt throw hundreds more at the monkey, oh well.
Old 02-12-12, 08:36 PM   #38
Tavery5

Quote:
Thats fine. We are coming from different areas. My goal has always been about getting my moneys worth. If I lose 1 or 2 fish because I didnt throw hundreds more at the monkey, oh well.

If you have have a system that works for you, then there is no reason in the world to change it.
Sometimes individuals wont see things the same, like I said I do respect your opinion.
Old 02-12-12, 08:41 PM   #39
WTL

Sure, and of course if I were wealthy, I would sink more in my rods. I think the veritas range right now are the best value. But by cutting a couple corners on rods, I can buy more gas and get more time on the water and more bass. I have never caught a bass at home, while admiring my recent purchase.
Old 02-12-12, 08:46 PM   #40
carolina-rig-01

Stang it sounds like you have a nice set up. I don't own a Chronarch but I do have a Veritas rod and I really like it. Good luck and before you know it you will be far more accurate with the baitcaster than you ever were with your spinning reels, that's one benefit of a baitcaster.
Old 02-12-12, 10:05 PM   #41
blackstang93
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Stang it sounds like you have a nice set up. I don't own a Chronarch but I do have a Veritas rod and I really like it. Good luck and before you know it you will be far more accurate with the baitcaster than you ever were with your spinning reels, that's one benefit of a baitcaster.
thanks man, we will see. 20 years with a spinning reel and maybe 25 casts with a BC. Its going to take a while.go cubs.
Old 02-12-12, 10:19 PM   #42
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
thanks man, we will see. 20 years with a spinning reel and maybe 25 casts with a BC. Its going to take a while.go cubs.
Best of luck to ya. Here is a tip, just loosen the brakes as loose as you can get them and rear back and cast as hard as you can without touching your thumb to the spool. That is a friendly tip from a Cardinals fan to a Cubs fan

P.s. Don't do that unless you want practice at cutting out a backlash.
Old 02-12-12, 10:35 PM   #43
blackstang93
BassFishin.Com Member

LOL!!! Nice
Old 02-13-12, 02:15 PM   #44
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Best of luck to ya. Here is a tip, just loosen the brakes as loose as you can get them and rear back and cast as hard as you can without touching your thumb to the spool. That is a friendly tip from a Cardinals fan to a Cubs fan

P.s. Don't do that unless you want practice at cutting out a backlash.
I had already clicked the "Quote" button on this post before I even got to the last sentence...I was thinking "WTH is he trying to do to this poor guy?"
Old 02-13-12, 05:42 PM   #45
keithdog

Quote:
go cubs.
Eegads, a Cubs fan.....They'll let anyone in here. HAHA, Just messin with ya man. Here in NW Indiana, it either Cubs or Sox, but I'm a Cards fan as well. I have no doubt your going to love your new outfit!
Old 02-13-12, 07:02 PM   #46
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippiboy View Post
i had already clicked the "quote" button on this post before i even got to the last sentence...i was thinking "wth is he trying to do to this poor guy?"
hahahahaha!
Old 02-18-12, 03:28 PM   #47
blackstang93
BassFishin.Com Member

headed out to test my new rod and reel at an actual lake. What's the over/under on how many backlashes?
Old 02-18-12, 04:09 PM   #48
joedog

Quote:
headed out to test my new rod and reel at an actual lake. What's the over/under on how many backlashes?
2 per hour after first hour of 4....I got a fiver on UNDER!
It really depends on how well you are at getting backlashes out.

When you read this you will be back already so just PM me and I''ll send the Corrections Facility's address so you can send me the winnings.

Actually, I hope you enjoyed your day on the water!
Old 02-18-12, 06:36 PM   #49
blackstang93
BassFishin.Com Member

I ended up having about 4 backlashes.LOL It would only happen when I tried to make long casts. I was thumbing the line correctly. I'm not sure what exactly went wrong. I was throwing into 10-15 mph wind.Maybe that had something to do with it.
Old 02-18-12, 08:37 PM   #50
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
I ended up having about 4 backlashes.LOL It would only happen when I tried to make long casts. I was thumbing the line correctly. I'm not sure what exactly went wrong. I was throwing into 10-15 mph wind.Maybe that had something to do with it.
Wind will make it a lot more difficult. If you can cast side armed this will help.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.