Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-04, 08:48 AM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Trolling Motor Wired Wrong from Factory

Well lets see what kind of geniuses we have out there . I bought a new Motor Guide 36lb, foot controlled, basic trolling motor to replace my old 37lb one that died . Anyway the first time I took it out the directional marker seems to be opposite of what it was moving. But since I was fishing I just adjusted to it and fished. Since that first time out this year, I've just kinda dealt with it since it was working, just needed some adjusting in my mind. Anyway I was working on it this past weekend, and for the life of me couldn't figure out why it was doing it. So when I took it out on the water Monday and I really watched it to find out what was going on. ??? Well the fact is the Motor itself is turning in reverse ???. It has 5 speeds on the foot controller plus an OFF, no reverse. Exactly what I mean is that when you turn it on the blade is being pulled forward instead on the front part of the cone, so essentially it's always turning in reverse, just with 5 speeds ??? I got out my manual, and called the local Authorized repair shop(it's actually in my town , plus they also do reel repair(complete going over for $15 plus parts if needed) Well anyway the gentleman I talked to told me what he said to do to fix it, and I believe him, but would like to know if any of you have had this happen or if you know how to fix it? His fix makes me nervous, because he told me to reverse the wires on the battery? It makes sense in one aspect, but boy it makes me nervouse about frying my battery and electrical system also? Anyway, any help or ideas would be appreciated. I kinda feel stupid about not noticing this earlier, but then again I've never had one not go the right direction b4.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-04, 09:42 AM   #2
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default Re: Trolling Motor Wired Wrong from Factory

lizards,
just reverse the wires on the battery and try it.it won't hurt a thing..
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-04, 11:12 AM   #3
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

LIZARDS,
Since he is a factory repair station and is in your town, I would take the unit to him and have him fix it. That way if it burns up it is on the factory, not on you.
It sounds to me like the wires are installed wrong in the control unit. If you did not change anything on the plug, then I would just reverse the wires where they connect to the control module. Start at the plug in and follow them to where the wires bolt up to the control unit, then switch the wires at that location. Did you change anything where it plugs in to the power supply, or do you just use clamps to attach to the battery.
There should be a white or red line on one of the wires to signify which wire is the positive. Check the instructions and follow thier directions on how to hook it up. If you follow the directions and it still runs backwards, I would take it to the repair rep.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-04, 03:46 PM   #4
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Take it to the repair shop and tell him to FIX IT.

If you just reverse the wires and something burns up they'll say you reversed the wires. Â*No warranty

If you open the head and reverse anything, they'll say you shouldn't have done that, you don't know what you're doing. Â*No warranty.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-04, 04:57 PM   #5
BassGizmo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassGizmo

I don't think it will hurt anything the way you are running it now.
BassGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-04, 09:33 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

have or factory tech fix it. that is what they are paid to do ya know. when i first bought my stratos it have a minnkota on it. the dealer ship rep took me out on my lil boat. to test every thing and explain how every thing was to work-quite nice of them actually- she dropped the tm hit the switch and nothing. the battery was full charge.i checked. after messing with it about 5 minutes trying to make the trolling moter work it started to smoke from the top of the unit. brand spanking new minnkota burnt up. they replaced it with a moterguide i have not had no problems yet. out of it other than my slamming it in to stumps enough to break it..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.