Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-25-09, 10:46 AM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Ethanol!!!

Hey Guys,

Maine just made the switch to adding 10% ethanol in all our gas and ever since my damn truck has been running like crap! I took it to my mechanic and he said that he has been seeing a lot of this lately....it acts like there is water in the gas, hesitates if I stomp on it..I've tried marvel mystery oil & dry gas, but I think that ethanol just sucks!

Also, for anyone runnin 2stroke on your boat you better be sure to be using a stabilizer like starbright...according to my boat mechanic he said this stuff is just horrible if you let it sit over time, it can even eat through rubber hosing and possibly plastic tanks...who the h.ell was the genius behind this idea...ethanol is the biggest waste of time & money...possibly the biggest hoax next to global warming....

Maine's 2008 temp was below average on 308 days out of 365!
Old 03-25-09, 12:15 PM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
Hey Guys,

Maine's 2008 temp was below average on 308 days out of 365!

Its not maine their worried about. Check the arctics average temps for the last few years, Or just wait, some of it will probably float by maine soon.

As far as the ethenol goes that sucks, I hear it is more expensive to produce than gas. I dont know what the answer is, but I know global warming isn't a myth. It might not be warm where you are but our glaciers have shrunk in 1/2 over the last 10 years. And that my friend is bad!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 12:42 PM   #3
OrygunBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Boy how I would like to hijack this into a Global warming thread but I will bite my tougue and not do it!

Oregon has had this ethanol blend for several years and you are right, "it sucks"!

The first thing it does is clean the H*** out of everything and will plug up your filters. The "only: tanks that it will effect is older fiberglass tanks! Starbright is the best additive you can use right now, but I use SeaFoam along with it! If you have old fuel lines on your boat you really should replace all of them with newer ethanol compliant hoses. It will eventually screw up your fuel pump also so as a precaution you should change that out too! The really great part about it is that you will get about 10% reduction in fuel mialage and on faster boats you will lose about 2-3 MPH!!

Ain't our government great?????
Old 03-25-09, 01:07 PM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm curious, what is the year and model of your truck?

Not gonna touch the global warming debate. I frankly win every debate I join on this board no matter if I'm right or not so I guess I'll do yall that favor.

I wonder what we will do one day when we can no longer get the appropriate fuel for classic cars and small gas engines. Will they all be paper weights?
Old 03-25-09, 01:31 PM   #5
jasonfish320

The global warming thing was just a joke..obviously you can see my position on the subject

WTL, my truck is an '03 F150 FX4 package...It's been a great truck, no problems except for routine maintenance...I'm going to have a regular tune up this week, but I really hope it's just something to do with the weather...I'm thinkin that it is reacting strangely to drastic changes in temps..nights are like 10degrees and days are in the 40's..
Old 03-25-09, 01:49 PM   #6
Scott McGehee
BassFishin.Com Member

We've had it here for a while and I haven't had any problems in my truck and only one problem in the boat. If you're having problems, I try swapping service stations first.

Mercury say's it's not a problem in their motors unless you get water in the fuel or let the fuel sit for long periods of time. All of the hoses, etc have been upgraded to prevent it eating through the hoses.
Scott McGehee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 11:55 AM   #7
barkelypup

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Its not maine their worried about. Check the arctics average temps for the last few years, Or just wait, some of it will probably float by maine soon.

As far as the ethenol goes that sucks, I hear it is more expensive to produce than gas. I dont know what the answer is, but I know global warming isn't a myth. It might not be warm where you are but our glaciers have shrunk in 1/2 over the last 10 years. And that my friend is bad!

Yeah the ethynol thing does stink. On a side note to your comment Doc. How many times have you been out measuring those glaciers? Global warming is a bit a farce as there is in my opinion. If it is warming up at the North Pole it is warming up in Maine. Hence they call it Global warming not just the North pole warming. Just another way to get more control over our lives and pad their pockets with my money. Sorry I couldn't resist that. Ethynol is another reason we have been hearing of these food shortages around the world. Yikes I've already gone to far.
Sorry

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 02:05 PM   #8
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
It might not be warm where you are but our glaciers have shrunk in 1/2 over the last 10 years. And that my friend is bad!
Oh really, ya might want to check this out!!!

http://www.iceagenow.com/Growing_Glaciers.htm
Old 05-16-09, 12:23 PM   #9
pacordon
BassFishin.Com Member

orygunbasser: thanks for the info. i'm an old guy that just started bass fishin in bend. how about us talking some? there is so much to this game to learn.
pacordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 01:32 PM   #10
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I wonder what we will do one day when we can no longer get the appropriate fuel for classic cars and small gas engines. Will they all be paper weights?
Naw....we'll be buyin it in back alley's and behind closed doors like junkies....tryin to get our car or boat its fix of someones home brewed leaded fuel....lol
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 02:13 PM   #11
jig fisherman

Here is a paper I wrote on ethanol for school to help answer any questions you guys might have had on it.
Ethanol

"In today’s world people are becoming more mindful of the environment. New ideas to try to make us more “green” are constantly streaming out. Some of these ideas are good and some are bad. While most of these ideas are good some of them will actually do the environment more harm than good. One of these ideas is E85 ethanol. That is why ethanol should not become a major energy resource.
No matter what some people will say ethanol will not help the environment. Just to make five gallons of ninety-five percent ethanol is the energy equivalent of four gallons of gasoline. To grow the corn needed to make E85 is polluting our Earth before it even becomes ethanol because to grow corn involves a lot of nitrogen fertilizer and pesticides which come from petroleum. The corn must then be transported from farm to plant, where it is made into ethanol, in cars. Then to make the ethanol requires more energy than what it can actually be used for. The amount of water needed to grow ethanol is staggering as well. For example, it takes more than fifteen gallons of water to make one gallon of ninety-five percent ethanol. Of those fifteen gallons, thirteen are returned to the environment as wastewater. To get enough water to make enough E85 for America, over 1.7 trillion gallons of water would be needed and 1.5 trillion gallons of that would become wastewater. Most of that water would come from streams, reservoirs, rivers and groundwater from underground. Even of that much water could be supplied without destroying America’s water systems the amount of land needed to be farmed would be enormous. Over 80% of the Earth’s surface would have to be converted into farmland. That includes rainforests and frozen tundras, and everything in between. And most of the people who want ethanol to become a major energy resource want to protect the rainforests as well. So, with ethanol the environment will be affected, just not in a good way.
Besides being bad for the environment, Ethanol isn’t good for America when used as a major resource. What would American citizens do if there were a major drought? There would not be enough ethanol to supply America and many stiff regulations would be put into place. Also, a major outbreak of insect could destroy entire fields of corn and again, there would not be enough ethanol. On top of that many older cars and most or all boat do not run on E85 efficiently. Ethanol destroys engines and it takes more ethanol do go the same distance as an equal amount of gasoline. Also, with the huge amount of water used to get and make ethanol is tremendous. The amount of water being taken from the rivers, reservoirs, and streams and the after affect would be catastrophic. Furthermore, corn requires more pesticides and nitrates than almost any other crop. These chemicals will end up in lakes and streams, causing the water quality deteriorate and the algae blooms will be larger as well. This happens because much of the corn grown in America is grown in the Mississippi river basin and the nitrates and pesticides get washed into the Missouri, Ohio, and Mississippi rivers and all connected tributaries. Then this polluted water travels down to the Gulf if Mexico creating a “Dead Zone” and massive fish kills in this area of over 8500 square miles, an area big as Lake Erie. So the idea that ethanol is “green” is incorrect.
Some people that America and the environment will benefit from E85. While E85 doesn’t produce as much pollution when burned, it still burns off carbon dioxide. And it would not be filtered out of the air because if ethanol becomes a major energy resource there will be fewer trees. While corn does filter out carbon dioxide it only has a growing season of about four months while trees grow all year. Then add all of pollution associated with E85 and the damage on the environment will be massive. Another idea people have is that with more corn needed there will be more jobs. While there will be what about the men and women who are drilling for petroleum because they would then lose their jobs. Then these people would not be able to support themselves and their families. Also many Americans do not want to farm, so there will be more jobs left unfilled. Then there will be an increase of illegal immigrants coming over the border looking for work. Consequently, there will be an increase of border control problems.
Even after reading this many environmentalists may still believe that ethanol should become a major energy resource for America. But hopefully the majority of the public now know that E85 should not become a major energy resource. The negatives simply outweigh the positives by a considerable margin. So, even though E85 is becoming the energy resource of tomorrow, it doesn’t mean that it is the right path for America to take."
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 02:48 PM   #12
BassinID

That looks like a good paper Jig Fisherman, but just remember as you go on to higher academic levels, you really need to site all claims you make and show where you got your statistics. I am not trying to disprove anything you have said, just site and all is fine
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 03:06 PM   #13
jig fisherman

I have a bibliography somewhere if you need it
Old 05-17-09, 03:55 PM   #14
BassinID

Nope, I trust you, just add footnotes and in text citation for your teachers when you get into college, they will literally kick you out of college for plagiarism without them. What year are you?
Old 05-17-09, 05:23 PM   #15
jig fisherman

I'm actually only in seventh grade
Old 05-17-09, 05:25 PM   #16
BassinID

That's good work then man, you seem to really have a handle on things. Just keep in mind to find counter-arguments for all your sources if you want to prove something, otherwise you won't sound credible. Good luck and glad to see a young fisherman so involved.
Old 05-17-09, 05:36 PM   #17
jig fisherman

Thanks for the kind words BassinID
Old 05-17-09, 05:38 PM   #18
BassinID

No problem JF, by the way, congrats on the personal best last week on the white senko, it was a hog!
Old 05-17-09, 06:05 PM   #19
jig fisherman

It was actually a watermelon pearl dinger
Old 05-17-09, 06:06 PM   #20
BassinID

, you fit in just fine!
Old 05-23-09, 03:29 AM   #21
bassboogieman

Ethanol does pose some problems for outboards. The problem is that it (ethanol) absorbs water and water in the combustion chamber of your engine is bad, very bad. It's not as big a problem in trucks or cars as their gas tanks are not vented in the same way as are boat gas tanks. The vented boat gas tanks allow humid air to get into the tank and cause condensation inside. This problem is more accute for boats that remain docked in the water than for boats that are trailered.
There are a few things you can do to minimize or prevent damage to your outboard from "wet" fuel. Install a water seperating filter in your gas line before the bulb. Use a fuel stabilizer like Marine Stabil (formulated especially to minimize the effects of ethanol) and a fuel additive like Sea Foam or Ring Free. Keep your gas tank full to minimize condensation inside. Older outboards ('80's vintage) have been know to have problems with ethanol blended fuel disolving the fuel lines. Fuel lines on newer engines are able to withstand the effects of ethanol much better.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.