Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-25-04, 09:37 AM   #1
southernpro
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to southernpro
Default Buying a boat- need advice from experienced angler

The wife and I finally retired! Now we need a bass boat.
Classifieds show prices way over my head.
Want to spend about $5,000. Neighbor has one in yard. 1990 Lasser 19.5ft, 150 Yamaha,Magnum steel tailer,tandem. Wants $5,500. Nada says average $4,100
A} Is anyone familiar with this brand of bass boat? Good experience or bad? Reasaleable without losing too much?
Boat is not garage kept,looks a little salty,but ownersaid 3 new batteries,new bimini top,new axel bearings,etc. Will demonstrate on water.
We are only used to 14ft aluminum boat with 15hp, so a little scared of 150 horses! But, If we tackle Amistatd or Rayburn, we need to get from Pt A to Pt B before sunset!
southernpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-04, 10:00 AM   #2
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd
Default Re: Buying a boat- need advice from experienced an

Have the seller take it to a good boat mechanic of YOUR choice. Â*Pay them for a hour or so of labor and have them check the engine out, and look over the boat and tell you anything they find wrong. Â*If the boat checks out, you pay for check. Â*If the check shows something major wrong with it, the seller pays. Â*Minor problems you can use for haggling over the price. If they tell you it's ok, you bought some peace of mind. If they tell you there is something major wrong with it, run, don't walk away.

The price seems high going by what you've said about the book, and the apparent condition of the boat, but not way out of line. Â*You probably have some haggle room there.

I'm assuming this is a Laser bass boat. Â*I don't know of any inherent problems with that particular brand, but it's almost 15 years old now. Â*It's probably depreciated about as much as it's going to, but resale on a boat that old isn't going to be much. Â*Like a 15 year old car, it's only worth so much.

If you decide to buy it, have the seller take you to the lake and teach you to drive it. Â*It's not hard to drive one; don't let the 150 scare you. Â* You don't have to use it all at once. Â*Take your time, and get a feel for it, and go faster at your own pace.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-04, 09:57 PM   #3
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

make sure you get the compression checked...and the oil injection system
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-04, 12:44 AM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Just looked in the Bass Classified section, someone is selling a 1998 18.5 aluminum boat with 75hp outboard for $5000 Sounds like a lot better deal than what you're looking at.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 04:35 PM   #5

A used boat is a used boat.I have a 96 javlin that I got in 2002,from a dealer.It had a one year warenty on motor.Dealer stated that all boats have 120 point check before sold.To make a long story short.Had it 4 months blew powerhead,and $4700.00 and took all winter to fix.Just beware if you can buy new,buy new.And I'm NOT saying the samething can't happen,but you will have someone standing behind you if it does.GOOD LUCK
Old 03-31-04, 12:12 PM   #6
fbdcld
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fbdcld

The two happiest days in a boat owners life. The day he buys his boat, and the day he sells it. I would deffanately have it checked out a little money spent now may save you alot later.

Eddie
fbdcld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-04, 12:34 PM   #7
BILLIE__T
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BILLIE__T

You can also check out boats for sale at ( www.wmi.org/bassfish ).
BILLIE__T is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.