Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-07-04, 01:24 AM   #1
BassGizmo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassGizmo
Default Boat insurance coverage

zooker's post about the boat getting smashed got me thinkin. I have a 87 ford ranger so i don't have coverage on my truck if i crash it. (my truck isn't worth that much in the blue book) I have coverage on the other driver like everyone must legaly have.
So if i would have an accident while towing my boat and it would be my fault, there would be no coverage on my boat. But what about if somebody hit my boat and it was there fault. would the other person's insurance cover repairs on my boat. I don't travel anymore then 45 minutes to get to any of my lakes. mainly unpopulated areas, so i never really thought about insurance before.
thanks for any info
BassGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-04, 02:12 AM   #2
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman
Default Re: Boat insurance coverage

CATCHER,

It depends on what kind of insurance laws your state has. Most states have what is called "No Fault" insurance laws. This means that your insurance takes care of your property, and if the other driver is at fault it is up to the insurance company to go after them for recovery of thier money.
If it is a "Fault" state, you can go after the other person, but you have to prove that they were more than 50% at fault
Then there is some states that a percentage of fault must be assigned due to the facts of the accident. These are a pain in the ***.

Arch Ryval
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-04, 09:37 AM   #3
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Your best bet is talk to your insurance agent. I know that sounds like a cop out, but it's the truth.

You'd be surprised what insurance doesn't cover, unless you specifically ask for it. Things like your fishing tackle. Find out what you need to verify what you have and an agreed upon value.

In your case, you need to find out, and I have no idea, is what happens if for instance you fall asleep and run off the road and total your truck and your boat. Normally when you're towing, your automobile insurance covers. If you don't carry collision, is your boat covered? I don't know, but I'd find out tomorrow morning if I were you.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-04, 11:17 AM   #4
BassGizmo
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for your help guys. I plan to talk to my insurance provider asap.
Old 03-08-04, 05:49 PM   #5
BassGizmo
BassFishin.Com Member

I talked to my insurance agent today. he said if someone else would hit me and it was there fault, that person's insurance company would have to pay for the damages.
I was mostly concerned about someone tailgateing my boat trailer and hitting me when i stop. Also if i am stoped at a light of a stop sign, if someone would hit me it would be all there fault.

WHY do people tailgate boat trailers????????? ??? Almost everytime i go to the lake some jerk follows about ten feet behind my trailer. It really makes me mad > >
Old 03-08-04, 07:22 PM   #6
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

BASSCATCHER,

I hate to rain on your insurance agents advice, but approximately 25% of the vehicles on the road today are uninsured. If they hit you, you can give up all hope of them paying for your boat. If they had any money, they would have insurance. I think you are bettter off spending the three or four hundred dollars a year to insure your boat. Then you can sleep nights
Â* Â*
Â* Â* If you are on a interstate, there is not much you can do about a tailgater except change lanes and hopefully the A**H*** will pass.
Â* Â* If I am on a one lane hiway and someone tailgates me, I usually pull onto the shoulder and fishtail a couple times, throwing rocks and gravel back on them. They generally either pass or drop way back because they think I cannot control the boat and do not want thier pretty car dinged up.
Â* Â* If that dont work, I will slow down to about 45 mph, or even 30 mph until they pass.
Â* Â* I have no tolerance for people in general and tailgaters in particular. I have been considering putting a sign on the back of my boat in red reflective tape saying "BACK OFF A**H***!""

Judge Knott
Old 03-08-04, 07:50 PM   #7
BassGizmo
BassFishin.Com Member

Jack,
I have thought of making a sign too, but i figured it would just encourage them to tailgate just to pi$$ me off. I have reflective tape all over the back of my trailer to make it visable for ten miles ;D
I never go on any highways with my boat, too many crazy people out there and my truck isn't the best for pulling a trailer at high speeds( wimpy motor). i have found shortcuts on rarely traveled back roads which makes it much safer.
Although alot of back roads around here aren't super wide so you know how that goes with a big bassboat.

I have a decal on my truck back window that say "keep honking buddy i'm reloading" I just had to have it.

I noticed when going hunting people never tailgate me. could it be that the shotgun in the back window scares them. hmmm . not like i would ever use it on anybody but still, it seem effective ;D ;D
Old 03-10-04, 10:08 PM   #8
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i wouldn't be without insurance..suppose someone falls out of your boat and drowns?or a jetskier hits you,do you think they have insurance?be safe,get insurance,it's not that much $$ for some peace of mind.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-04, 11:27 PM   #9
United_Bass_._Com
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to United_Bass_._Com

Maybe the tailgaters are fishermen to and just want to see what you are throwing. so they get as close as possible. ;D

Maybe if you take some old plastics, you could throw them out the window at the person behind you. :P
United_Bass_._Com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-04, 02:11 AM   #10
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

TRIGR,

I was thinking about throwing something else, like bricks!!!

JackL
Old 03-11-04, 10:03 AM   #11
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Say Jack. Reminds me, once my son and I were driving up to DC on I-95. I was driving my jeep CJ-7 with the top off, and noticed a butthead in a BMW tailgateing me. I reached down beside the seat and picked up a Coca Cola bottle (glass one) and tossed it up in the air one time. The Beamer got the message. <lol> He about broke his neck to get out from behind me. I imagine a Coke bottle hitting a windshield at 70 mph would be "exciting".
Old 03-11-04, 11:03 AM   #12
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

CAJUN,

There ought to be more of that. Wake these A**H***'s up!!!

JackL
Old 03-29-04, 11:38 AM   #13

Fishtail so you can throw rocks? What do you think that does to the bottom of your boat? If you throw something out a window you are not only at fault but breaking the law by littering. Your as dumb as the guy behind you. I'd love to get you into court. Judge Bob
Old 03-29-04, 01:06 PM   #14
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

I scrolled back. Who the heck is "Fishtail"?
Old 03-29-04, 01:58 PM   #15
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

FISHMAN,

The burden of proof is on you that it was an intentional act!!!

JackL
Old 03-29-04, 04:32 PM   #16
uk03
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to uk03

Sounds like Judge Roy Bean needs to start an insurance company!
uk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-04, 10:23 PM   #17
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

most insurance on boats only cover the minamal amout. i pay 270 ayear for full coverage. on the boat alone. that inculdes rods reels and any tackle i happen to have the recit of. and i have them all. sounds crazy but the agent hates to see ya claim 10,000 bucks for a stolen tackle box. but can't prove it.
some states have home owners insurance that covers your boat if horse power is right.
as for tail gaters they have come up with a third light for your moter it some how mounts to the hub of your prop .

the idiot that hit my friend is going to pay dearly the insurance is going to pay for a new boat he will get 40k think what this will do to your premium.

mine has paid for a rodand reel some sob stole out of the boat. i have a personal copy of him doing it on tape i was parked at a gas station. got to love video.
zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.