Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-12, 08:42 AM   #1
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Electronics

If your thinking of pulling the trigger now is a good time if a bird fan,think low wont be far behind as almost time for new models(july)
Most of the models are 24 percent to as much as 33 percent off-new
Example
798ci-$949.99
788ci-$699.99
797ci-$559.99
It does make one think what that 1200 dollar unit is worth now as a used piece of eq,same with some brands of boats be discounted shortly as last years models.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-12, 11:23 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yep, getting that time of year AGAIN. seems like it rolls around quicker each year. I have a couple Humminbird SI units and I'm very happy with them. One happens to be the 798 which I have moved to my kayak. The small screen is much better suited to being close when viewed, especially when using a split screen mode. I really could not see it very well when standing on the big boat.

I haven't used any of the Lowrance SI units, mainly due to the cost, they are more expensive than the 'birds and I think the Cust. Serv. of Humminbird is better. Comparing the two brands side-by-side at Cabelas I like the Graphics on the Lowrance HD units better, but again at a significant additional expense to the 'birds (when including side image capability). The other thing that sold me on Hummingbird is that they are self contained units, with Lowrance you need a seperate ($600) unit to have the side imaging.

By-the-way, I have seen the Humminbird 798 at under $900 and I think that will be the price point in just a month or so as the release date of the new models gets closer. The sad fact is, that as good as these units are they are getting almost to the point of not being affordable/practical for the recreational angler.

One thing (negative) I seem to be seeing concerning the Humminbird brand - those SI transducers seem to be having a high failure rate (after the warranty runs out of course). They are expensive to replace - around $200 - and mine has lost the right side of the side image mode (during my trip to Dale Hollow in May). Everything else is fine but $200 is an expensive replacement of an 18 month old (actually less than 12 months of use as it was purchased in Nov. and didn't get used for 4 months over winter, then I was laid up 3 months last summer and did not fish). Just seems that the more features something has the more opportunity for failure.

Are these units worth the money? For a tournament angler - absolutely. For the recreational angler - that's tougher. If you travel and fish strange water, they are a great help, if you fish a home lake that you know well then not so much. I've found one very usefull, due to the fact the side image view will reveal structure/cover you would go right past with a 2D sonar or a down image only unit, and that's expecailly true for me as I do travel to fish a lot.

If you have the money and WANT to spend it, a side image unit is a great addition to any boat - including, of course, a kayak.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.