Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-12, 07:17 PM   #1
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default MLB fans step inside

Hi sports fans!

Heard something interesting on the radio yesterday that I hadn't thought about before. As you know, the Houston Astros are going to the AL next year and we should have balanced teams all around : AL/NL and within each division.

The subject came up about what to do about the DH. This guy on the radio mentioned a limited DH whereby both AL & NL will have a DH that hits for the STARTING pitcher. Once the starting pitcher is out, then it goes to old NL rules where you either have your reliever or a pinch hitter hit.

What do you think? Is this a fair comprimise and what will it do to baseball lineups? Maybe have the DH to hit first to get the most at bats while the starter is in?

Food for thought.
Old 06-09-12, 08:13 PM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm old school, do not like the DH. I would say leave it like it is, no more changes.
Old 06-09-12, 08:52 PM   #3
bassboogieman

I also do not like the DH rule. Baseball originally was designed to be played by NINE players not ten. It's a part of the game for the pitcher to take his at bat or pinch hit and bring in a reliever. That's part of baseball stratagy which the DH somewhat negates.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 09:16 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I also do not like the DH rule. Baseball originally was designed to be played by NINE players not ten. It's a part of the game for the pitcher to take his at bat or pinch hit and bring in a reliever. That's part of baseball stratagy which the DH somewhat negates.
I totally agree. The DH is just one reason why the American League seems like a watered down style of baseball to me. I am not saying that the American League is weaker or less talented than the National League. There just isn't as much small ball or cat and mouse type strategy as there is in the National League.
Old 06-09-12, 09:31 PM   #5
Jrob78

I am going to be the one to go against the grain. I do like the DH rule. I've grown up watching AL baseball and the DH has been in play during my lifetime. It's all I've really ever known. I understand the intricacies of the game and I do appreciate NL baseball. I also appreciate the added strategy and the way it makes a manager's decisions influence the game even more. For me though, it would be taking away from a part of the game.

My team is built around the DH, our roster is made up to have certain players who play the same positions rotate on given nights so that all the bats are always in the line up, no matter the defensive line up. The Rangers have always played a offensive heavy, slug it out type of baseball. Not having the DH would weaken the style of ball we play.
Old 06-09-12, 09:37 PM   #6
bamabassman

one more thing as to why id don't like pro baseball now. the DH. if your pitcher can't BAT, get another pitcher. it started out that the pitcher was also one of your best batters...not anymore. too many rules in pro sports now period. shut up and play ball is what i say.
Old 06-09-12, 10:50 PM   #7
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
one more thing as to why id don't like pro baseball now. the DH. if your pitcher can't BAT, get another pitcher. it started out that the pitcher was also one of your best batters...not anymore. too many rules in pro sports now period. shut up and play ball is what i say.
John it goes all the way down to high school now. Even girls softball. My neice has been the starting left fielder for her high school for 3 years, but didn't get to swing a bat untill her jr year. (this year).

Don't like it, but completely understand what Jrob is saying also.
Old 06-09-12, 10:54 PM   #8
MO_CPA

Being a Cards fan...I'm not too fond of the DH, either. My thought is that there is no way the Player's Association is going to allow the elimination of the DH...think of all those players that wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for that position. So, if we are ever to get some sort of parity between leagues it would have to be either adopting the full DH or some sort of limited arangement.
Old 06-10-12, 08:19 AM   #9
bamabassman

mo...if the player can't do a thing BUT bat, he needs ot get another job. sorry jsut my opion. that's like nfl. oyu have players that only play in certain situations. if oyu can't play in ANY sistuation.........get out. sorry, jsut my opion again.

and ron, oyu are correct my friend. it goes all the way down the line. sad really.
Old 06-10-12, 09:57 AM   #10
aikenyounggun

First off, I don't see the rule changing in either league for a long time. Now that being said, I am a Braves fan, and watch mostly national league. Never been a huge fan of the DH, but it is what it is. It's there, it's gonna stay. And now the pitchers get paid so much to pitch every 5 days, many teams don't want to risk them gettin hurt.

And the rule stated at the top doesn't make any sense really. After a starting pitcher comes out not many relievers pitch more than 1 inning. So no matter what they would be pinch hit for, probably by the original DH, so the DH continues. So the vast majority of the games, a pitcher would never have to hit.
Old 06-10-12, 10:57 AM   #11
WatterBoy

100% can't stand the DH, but like AYG said, the DH isn't going anywhere so it is what it is. I see no reason to change the rule just because Houston is changing leagues.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 12:00 PM   #12
bcklash

While we're at it----I can't stand the term walkoff
Old 06-10-12, 12:19 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
100% can't stand the DH, but like AYG said, the DH isn't going anywhere so it is what it is. I see no reason to change the rule just because Houston is changing leagues.
I agree, there have been teams change leagues in the past and as far as I know this conversation never came up. For crying out loud, it's not like the Astros are built for success in the National League anyways so the can't really make the case that they have structured their team around not having the DH. However like I said earlier I really think the DH waters down baseball and it would be nice to see it be done away with for all the right reasons, which isn't going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
While we're at it----I can't stand the term walkoff
What is it about the term walkoff that bothers you? I guess I just never really put that much thought into it LOL.
Old 06-10-12, 12:36 PM   #14
MO_CPA

Many have commented regarding the Astros going to the AL and how it really shouldn't effect the DH issue. Well, here's the deal. With the Astros going to the AL, that means that each league now has an odd number of teams; meaning that every single day of the MLB season either one team from each league will have to take a day off or there will have to be interleague play...daily. The result? 10% or more of each AL team's schedule will now be played at NL parks. Same issue when the Diamondbacks came into the league...they were to be AL at first but Mr. Selig decided to kick the proverbial can down the road...to 2013 it seems.

Not for the DH...just trying to explain why the Astros going to the AL matters
Old 06-10-12, 12:43 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_CPA View Post
Many have commented regarding the Astros going to the AL and how it really shouldn't effect the DH issue. Well, here's the deal. With the Astros going to the AL, that means that each league now has an odd number of teams; meaning that every single day of the MLB season either one team from each league will have to take a day off or there will have to be interleague play...daily. The result? 10% or more of each AL team's schedule will now be played at NL parks. Same issue when the Diamondbacks came into the league...they were to be AL at first but Mr. Selig decided to kick the proverbial can down the road...to 2013 it seems.

Not for the DH...just trying to explain why the Astros going to the AL matters
Why not just leave it like it is now? When an interleague game is in a NL ballpark they don't use the DH and when an interleague game is in an AL ballpark they will use it? If they go to the balanced schedule then would that not be half and half for all the teams, or at least close to it?
Old 06-10-12, 12:59 PM   #16
MO_CPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Why not just leave it like it is now? When an interleague game is in a NL ballpark they don't use the DH and when an interleague game is in an AL ballpark they will use it? If they go to the balanced schedule then would that not be half and half for all the teams, or at least close to it?
What I've heard is that the AL teams are mad about it. Because they have pitchers that can't hit...as compared to NL pitchers that can hit somewhat. Also, most NL teams have a decent bench guy that could fill in for DH. For example, big Matt Adams would be a helluva DH when Craig/Berkman (when healthy) is at first.

My solution would be get some BP time in for your AL pitchers. I have a good buddy that is a starting pitcher for the Astros. He has hit his position his whole life and actually isn't too excited about the DH when they go to the AL next year.
Old 06-10-12, 01:57 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_CPA View Post
What I've heard is that the AL teams are mad about it. Because they have pitchers that can't hit...as compared to NL pitchers that can hit somewhat. Also, most NL teams have a decent bench guy that could fill in for DH. For example, big Matt Adams would be a helluva DH when Craig/Berkman (when healthy) is at first.

My solution would be get some BP time in for your AL pitchers. I have a good buddy that is a starting pitcher for the Astros. He has hit his position his whole life and actually isn't too excited about the DH when they go to the AL next year.
I don't buy into their excuse of the NL pitchers hit better than the AL pitchers. I mean these guys have had to hit their whole life up until they got into the show, and a lot of the pitchers in the AL came up into the NL and had to hit their before they ended up in the AL. And besides that, look at the NL pitchers offensive numbers. Does it really look like these guys can hit? I mean you see a few pitchers with respectable numbers but by and large they are all usually an automatic out just like in the AL, on occasion they will surprise you with a basehit but they are not even close to being good enough hitters for that argument to hold water.

I do agree that Matt Adams would be a great DH. In fact that is something I was going to say earlier too. The Cardinals are actually built in a way that they would benifit from the DH. They have so many big bats (when we can keep them healthy) that we could rest guys and still have their bats in the lineup. But be that as it may, I still think it takes away from the game. Finding time to rest players and keep everyone sharp is part of what seperates great managers from good managers.
Old 06-10-12, 02:27 PM   #18
bcklash

Quote:

What is it about the term walkoff that bothers you? I guess I just never really put that much thought into it LOL.
Kory, it's old school vs new school thing. In the 60's and 70's and before you never heard it. It was always game ending or game winning. It came about in the 80's on ESPN and sportscenter. I know, I know, "it is what it is" yea I don't like that one either. LOL

OH YEA Kory, I catch hell in my own family about not liking "walk off"
Old 06-10-12, 02:49 PM   #19
Jrob78

Had I been around in 1973, I would have been mad as hell at the thought of the DH. I honestly can't believe it was ever adopted by the AL in the first place. I also can't believe they allowed a rule to only effect half of MLB. When I think about it, it really doesn't make any sense at all. That said, it would be hard to take it back now. It's honestly something I've never given a lot of thought to, it's the way it's always been (for me) and I've never had a problem with it. Heck, I DHed a fair amount in HS, it wasn't usually for the pitcher though.

I will say that it puts the AL at a disadvantage come World Series time. They are forced to play a portion of the most important games of the year in a manner that they aren't used to playing. Their pitchers aren't used to hitting and their managers aren't accustom to making those decisions on a daily basis. Ron Washington got out-managed by TLR during the WS last year and part of that directly involved NL baseball.

As for the Astros coming to the AL, I'm all for it, strictly for selfish reasons though. The Rangers are in the AL West with only 3 other teams. Those 3 teams, Oakland, Seattle and LA are all on the west coast. We play half of our division games on west coast time coming from central time. The games don't start until 9:00 or 9:30 and don't end until after 12:00 most of the time. Splitting up our division games with another CST team will be nice. The time change to the west coast has to effect the players some, especially at the start of a series. Having a division rivalry with another TX team will be really cool too. Mainly though, I'm glad to see our division go to 5 teams with one more being in central time and much closer geographically.

I don't think it would be that hard to schedule a team in each league off every day. I would not be for interleague play in the 2nd half of the season. I don't mind it now but I like it how it is. Keep it in the first half of the season and for a limited number of games.

I don't really mind "walk off". The stupid stat that's come up recently that I hate is "quality start". If a pitcher goes 6 innings and gives up 3 runs or less, it's considered a quality start. That's setting the bar pretty low for a pitcher and it's a stupid, arbitrary stat to keep track of.
Old 06-10-12, 03:51 PM   #20
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Kory, it's old school vs new school thing. In the 60's and 70's and before you never heard it. It was always game ending or game winning. It came about in the 80's on ESPN and sportscenter. I know, I know, "it is what it is" yea I don't like that one either. LOL

OH YEA Kory, I catch hell in my own family about not liking "walk off"
Well in fairness, you can have a game winning RBI or whatever without it being a walkoff. A game winning RBI can come in any inning but a walkoff RBI ends the game right there, so there is a difference if that helps you sleep better at night hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I will say that it puts the AL at a disadvantage come World Series time. They are forced to play a portion of the most important games of the year in a manner that they aren't used to playing. Their pitchers aren't used to hitting and their managers aren't accustom to making those decisions on a daily basis. Ron Washington got out-managed by TLR during the WS last year and part of that directly involved NL baseball.
I was going to bring that up, but I thought it might still be too soon LOL. To me Games 6 and 7 of the World Series really highlighted how different the two leagues are. The American League honestly probably has more talent than the National League. But the National League is certainly better at all the small things that add up to winning games. Each league has its strengths that make them exciting to watch.
Old 06-10-12, 05:34 PM   #21
bcklash

Quote:
Well in fairness, you can have a game winning RBI or whatever without it being a walkoff. A game winning RBI can come in any inning but a walkoff RBI ends the game right there, so there is a difference if that helps you sleep better at night hahaha.

Yea that's what Adam tells me too. But the 1st time wakes me up to tell me that, I'm going to blame you. LOL

Jrob, did you enjoy being a DH. I don't think I would have, I enjoyed playing defense.
Old 06-10-12, 05:46 PM   #22
aikenyounggun

Not to totally change the subject, but the divisions arent exactly fair. I mean look at the AL east, and then look to the NL east (I'm a little biased here). But the dang phillies are last in the NL east, and many picked them to go to the world series.

And the Astros aren't very good, so it doesn't really matter that much. It seems more unfair that a team has been coming out a division with 4 teams in it, compared to 5 or 6.
Old 06-10-12, 05:47 PM   #23
Jrob78

Quote:
Jrob, did you enjoy being a DH. I don't think I would have, I enjoyed playing defense.
I played catcher, my junior and senior year we had 2 really good catchers. Our coach liked to platoon us. It wasn't ideal but I was happy to get to play every day. The alternative would have been platooning with another position player, which I did some, or not play. I was a good hitter so I got to play every day, one way or another.
Old 06-10-12, 06:23 PM   #24
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
Not to totally change the subject, but the divisions arent exactly fair. I mean look at the AL east, and then look to the NL east (I'm a little biased here). But the dang phillies are last in the NL east, and many picked them to go to the world series.

And the Astros aren't very good, so it doesn't really matter that much. It seems more unfair that a team has been coming out a division with 4 teams in it, compared to 5 or 6.
Injuries are killing the Phillies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I played catcher, my junior and senior year we had 2 really good catchers. Our coach liked to platoon us. It wasn't ideal but I was happy to get to play every day. The alternative would have been platooning with another position player, which I did some, or not play. I was a good hitter so I got to play every day, one way or another.
That makes sense

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.