Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-13, 12:57 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Keeping your plastic baits on the hook.

Yes, I am going to offer a rigging tip. I fell back to this rig a few weeks ago while fishing hollow bodied swim baits in the Potomac pad fields. I was using the usual (for me) screw lock hook but was having a particular problem with a brand of bait I was using - the screw lock was pulling out and taking with it a plug of plastic from the nose of the bait - rendering it basically useless way before I was ready to change baits. It works really well with larger plastics where I don't really like the Gammy skip hook. This works really well with a buzz frog, too. Many of you may know of this and use it, but if you don't - here it is.

I use a standard EWG hook, the example is a 5/0 that I regularly use. You will need a #10 swivel.

Rigging is simple, before tying on your hook thread your line of choice through one eye of a #10 swivel, then tie on your hook with your knot of choice.

Then, as usual insert the hook through the nose of your bait, then run the hook point through the other eye of the swivel before inserting the hook back through the bait.

Then insert the hook back through the bait as normal. Your bait will not pull down and the swivel adds negligible weight to the larger baits I'm using with this rigging method.

Ready to fish.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.