Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-30-11, 06:02 PM   #1
Henke
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Eagle Fish I.D. II

Hello to all the angling world, this is my first post on this site. I will say off the top, that I think I have found a place that I would like to be a member of.

This past weekend I was fortunate enough to reach the age of 50. After leaving the party my uncle handed me a plastic black box. He told me to fix it and keep it.

When I got home, I opened it and discovered it was an Eagle Fish I.D. II.
It is missing the plug for the transponder and the mounting bracket for the display unit.

Included was the gray power plug and black cable with a small red and black wire coming out of the end of a larger black cable along with the actual transponder with 24" of black cable and a transponder mounting bracket came with it. ( Just no plug for the transponder ).

The front of the display unit has 12 press switches on right of screen and looks very unused ?

1) - My question is, is this unit worth fixing ?
2) - This unit must be 15-20 years old ?
3) - Can I check the power cable with 12 volts DC ? ( To see what the display unit shows ) or better yet, what power is needed for this unit ?
4) - This is my 1st fish finder and I know nothing about this part of fishing.
5) - I will be using it ( if it works or worth having ) on a 16 foot 1974 Ranger Canoe.
6) - It has all the paper work but the owners manual for the Display Unit.

Any suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance for any replies.

Henke
Henke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-11, 08:53 PM   #2
champman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thumbs down

Welcome to the site henke, you should be able to find any cable and mount you need on e-bay . The eagle and lowrance cables should be interchangable. Just type in eagle fish finders and that will do it. To fix it or not.... "anything worth having is worth fixing."
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 11:57 PM   #3
Henke
BassFishin.Com Member

Did some surfing and found the owners manual and downloaded.

It's a 1990 unit.

Connected red power wire to pos. and black to neg..
Touched the on pad and the auto pad and the unit lit up and started beeping like the manual said. Then it started a simulation scan from right to left also showing all 5 modes in different numbers down the right side.

All modes seem to be able to work when turned on. But when I went to cut the power off, the off pad didn't turn off the unit so I just unclipped the lead red wire to the boat battery. ( Wonder why the off pad on the unit didn't turn the unit off ? ) Maybe because it was in simulator mode ?

I'm satisfied either way that the unit is in good enough shape to purchase a new transducer and cable. If I can find one ?
I have the old one but the cable was cut off 2' from the transducer and mount and there is no plug.

My next question is : where would the best place to mount the transducer on a 16' fiberglass canoe ? It is powered by a 30lb. MG trolling motor.

Thanks in advance,
Cliff
Old 09-01-11, 02:43 PM   #4
Henke
BassFishin.Com Member

Guess I'll scratch the Eagle Fish I.D. II. The folks at Lowrance / Eagle just wished me luck in finding another transducer for this model.

Looks like I will locate and give the Hummingbird Fishing Buddy a try.

Sorry for wasting y'all's time with this thread.

Cliff
Old 09-01-11, 04:32 PM   #5
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Is yours with a separate power cord or the one cord with both transducer and power?
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 04:35 PM   #6
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Ebay or Craigslist might be a solution(Got to search around on C.L. not just your local area but anything in driving distance), and on my lowrance unit you have to hold the power button down a couple seconds before it shuts down. I think getting a small portable unit or base model, like a humminbird 150 or 160, is better than a fishing buddy because you can hook it up to a 12v marine battery vs. buying C batts, all the time. If you want to mount a transducer on a canoe you can either fashion a mount that hooks onto the gunwhale(Go to cabela's on-line and look up the mounts to get an idea), or you could mount it on your trolling motor. Good Luck.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 09:35 PM   #7
Henke
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Is yours with a separate power cord or the one cord with both transducer and power?
Separate power cord, (gray plug) runs straight to the battery.
The transducer needs to be a gray plug also according to Lowrance. ( HS-WS )

Dogmatic, I checked Ebay & Craigslist, they have a lot of transducers but not the HS-WS Gray.

Thanks for all the replies. still scanning ....---......---.....
Old 09-02-11, 03:21 AM   #8
Henke
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
Ebay or Craigslist might be a solution(Got to search around on C.L. not just your local area but anything in driving distance), and on my lowrance unit you have to hold the power button down a couple seconds before it shuts down. I think getting a small portable unit or base model, like a humminbird 150 or 160, is better than a fishing buddy because you can hook it up to a 12v marine battery vs. buying C batts, all the time. If you want to mount a transducer on a canoe you can either fashion a mount that hooks onto the gunwhale(Go to cabela's on-line and look up the mounts to get an idea), or you could mount it on your trolling motor. Good Luck.
Been studying up on the Humming B. Pir Max 170 though, your right about the batteries, that will get old quick. Plus I like the features on the Pir Max 170 the best so far for the $100 and under selections. Would like to mount it on the TM though.

Thanks for pointing me in the HB direction.

Canoe Cliff
Old 09-02-11, 07:09 AM   #9
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I used to have two eagle2 one with 2 cords one ducer one power the other built with both within,believe the former one the one you had had four pins,never paid no mind as to color but if the pin fit it always worked as had lowrance other stuff.Backwards compatable but not forward.
Now days have humminbird and yes have pir max units as well an guess what same plug ins and some -repeat some do interchange.Have pirh on the dash as well as the bow taking the bow off as ducer gave up,didnt give but 30 bucks each for each one off ebay like 4-5 years ago.Fishing buddys are old bottom line have to agree if the ice or portable not for a permanent use.
The pir or cobras or wide side,wide one hundred any of the cheap down imagers all can be had sometimes new still off ebay-one does however take a chance.
On the humminbirds one has to hold that button as well then gives a message two secs its shutting off-seems common to most.
Think the ducer on the transom was for a wide 100,but works.Something like my 755c no only one works,yet that one may with an older as has three freq,they tend to see only what they were mfg for.
The simple down imaging type like the pir read and show contour to about 60 mph,then just flash depth at top of screen,but are superb for when running,most more advanced dont do quite as well in reading losing it a tad sooner.Thus why I have a 30 dollar unit on a boat running in a lake where its shallow in the middle up to about 90 mph formally.A repower with a lot less hp and now 60mph,and yes that pir showed the depth flashing at the top at 90.

Last edited by lilmule; 09-02-11 at 07:26 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.