Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-27-05, 11:04 PM   #1
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Worst Backlash

Reading Zookers post about his error free day got me thinking: What was your worst backlash?

Mine happened many moons ago. I was using an Ambassadeur 6000 C-one of the old wide spools that holds about 300 yards of line. I rared back to make a long cast and did not realize the lure had wrapped around something. I whipped the rod forward, and the line absolutely exploded off the reel. Surgery and another 300 yards of line and I was good to go ;D
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 11:07 PM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: Worst Backlash

Thats happened at least a couple times to me - normally the very worst backlashes are caused by getting the lure hung on something during the backcast. And then again every now and then I have a backlash that looks pretty mild, but has that one tangle in it that I can't undo.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 11:15 PM   #3
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FishinMommy

For me when I fish with crankbaits I never get them but i get them with worms and especially spinnerbaits in the wind. Haven't had any I can't pick out for a long long time. Probably just jinxed myself.
FishinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 11:36 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Since I am mostly a bank fisherman, I've had a few occasions where I was going to pitch a bait out there pretty far and didn't notice a brushpille not far from me and still in my periferal vision. I've lost several hundred(if noth thousands) of yard of line because of this.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 11:43 PM   #5
fishwitch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishwitch

i did one 2 days ago went to cast and hit a limb right of top of me lol i had her spoooled al the way up like 250 yrds of line the bait was 3 feet away and i could see the spool through the knot lol jus cut her off
fishwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 11:58 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Probably my second cast ever with a baitcaster. I just cut it off and put it up for another year Now I always seem to be able to get them out, just depends on HOW LONG IT TAKES LOL.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 12:12 AM   #7
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hershey

I was practicing my casting with my dads old shimano corsair and it sometimes for some reason spins backwards with the handle, like if you flip the live bait switch on a spinning reel, only it goes alot faster. Well I got the spook I was practicing with( I know bad idea to practice with a hardbait)stuck on a bush, so I gave it a good tug. Well the reel went backwards on me and I got a HUGE backlash.
hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 06:32 AM   #8
Eddie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eddie

rebb,i have done the same thing shore fishing!!!they go right down to the spool when that happens!!!
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 11:31 AM   #9
bassguy2004

I stopped by a lake one morning on the way to work. I brought my cranking stick and I was going to really heave a DD22. I noticed the bush behind me but I thought it would clear but as the rod loaded and started forward the crankbait grabbed the bush and the reel just exploded in a mass of line. No saving that one and no more fising.
Old 06-28-05, 07:13 PM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

my biggest was on a penn 209-600yards of 15 pound mono.i was slinging live bait on a slip float rig-trout- hit the blasted light pole.

i got one with out casting recently i was trying to put one of those lil plastic caps back on a brake flower. when i hit the spool release by accident. the whole spool went bye bye. the lure fell only 4" or so.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 09:00 PM   #11
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Seems like I get one every time I go out. Maybe thats why I own so many spools of extra line !
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 02:09 PM   #12
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

I stopped using baitcasters because of them.

Was making a cast, getting ready, lure went in water as I cast... just a bunch of line came out.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 05:32 PM   #13
oldfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to oldfisherman

mind was when i was fishing with my son. he is left handed i am right. we both went to cast at the same time. you guess it we each wrapped up our crank baits. man what a bridnest we had . to top in off i lost my fravorite rapala craw crankbait. now when we fish together he is in the front seat. i am in the back
oldfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-05, 08:00 AM   #14
reddscott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to reddscott

Worst backlash would have to be the time I went to cast and my crankbait hit my partners line hooked it and messed up both of our reels man i felt bad i felt like a jackass
reddscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.