Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-11, 10:39 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default End of season reflections.

Thought it would be interresting to see what are some of your thoughts about how the year 2011 was for you bass fishing? What new techniques or lures did you find yourself having success with? Any suprises, disappointments?
This year turned out to be a very good year for me personally as far as bass fishing goes. I only wish I knew 30 years ago what I know now.
My mainstays of spinnerbaits, topwaters and crankbaits stayed the same for the most part but with a couple new additions. This year for the first time I started having success with buzzbaits BIG TIME. Why all these years past I've never had any success with a buzzbait and this year I did I can't explain. Nobass was a big help with getting me started again with buzzbaits and even sent me one of his favorites. Thankyou Don!!! I found myself working buzzbaits a ton this year and caught too many off them to remember how many. Another surprise for me was lipless cranks. I've made a million casts with them over my life time and never caught a thing on them. But I've kept trying as I know they are proven effective. Again, I can't explain why, but this year I started having success with those too! Mainly just this past early spring working them with a yoyo retrieve durring prespawn. The combo of a lipless crank and suspending jerk bait proved deadly this past spring. I found myself having less success on frogs and pitchin soft plastics than in years past. The lake I fish most often has changed over the past few years. In the past, bustin bass in heavy dense weedbeds with frogs and pitchin t rigged beavers and other such plastics proved deadly. However, shad were intoduced to this lake 3 years ago. Ever since then the bass behavior has changed drastically. Now the bass are usually found in more open water chasing after shad. Working the shallower weedbeds I once had great success in now only proved to be more of a waste of time. I caught a few using frogs and pitchin plastics, but not nearly the numbers as in years past. A lure I fell in love with late summer/early fall was the 4 1/2 inch Heddon One Knocker Spook. My two biggest bass of the year came off that lure, although I missed at least 3 bigger bass off of other baits. That One Knocker Spook TORE IT UP! I found myself having so much fun using baits I normally didn't throw that I kind of passed on many of my old favorites. But thats a good thing. The more diverse an angler can be, the better. Well, thats it for now. I'm wondering what suprises 2012 has in store?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.